Page 56 of 119 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

TBH swarmed 4/10. They were bearding and I was watching. Video taped liftoff and then taped them landing in a pine tree 15 away. Shook in a box and put them in another hive. They are their own next door neighbors two hours later. About four pounds of bees.

Had 2 calls for swarms.

One 45 miles away. Very few bees still there but the back of my truck which was parked some distance away was full of bees when I moved it closer to the swarm spot. Left an 8-frame nuc there just in case as a lot of bees were coming and going from several directions.

The other in town. But bees weren't swarming, they were orientating at the entrance to the outside wall which was stone (veneer?).
    De Colores,
    Ken

~ 4lb swarm, 70 degrees, breezy, sunny and beautiful day. 1st swarm of season that I know of for my apiaries.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

Captured a very large swarm in Houston at the airport on 4/11/11

Swarm #6: Nashville TN Clear, rained previous night.

Received call mid-morning about a swarm at an auto auction company. Bees were no longer there but could see some flying around. Especially on top of roof. Got up on the metal roof and looked around. Prior to going up setup a 5-frame nuc with all frames sprayed with SW/HBH where bees were located earlier. Kept seeing bees flying around but no swarm. Started seeing a large group of bees further down the building roof. Brought up nuc and set on roof not far from where I got up. Walked back over and saw a more bees flying and about 15-20 bees on the roof. Brought nuc over next to group of bees. Found queen and put her in the box. Bee immediately started coming to nuc. Went back to get top. When I got back a lot more bees. Put on top and then left roof to drive around to other side of huge building which was much closer to the nuc. By the time I got back up from the other side the hive was covered with bees. Sprayed some of the on the front with SW/HBH and they started going into box. Waited at least 30 minutes and most of the swarm was either in or on the nuc. Put down a sheet and moved the nuc back onto it. Bees started moving to nuc there. Waited maybe 10 minutes then I took the ends of the sheet and gathered them up at the top of the nuc. Carried sheeted nuc down ladder and put in back of truck with sheet in place. Brought home and set down nuc at location and pulled back sheet. Bees seemed to be fine later in the evening. Unsure of exact amount of bees but at least 3#. Persistance......
    De Colores,
    Ken

Swarm #7: Hermitage TN, Clear & cool on 4/14.

4/13: Received a call late evening. Told him bees would not leave tree this late in the day. Will come early tomorrow and get the swarm. Said bees had probably been there for at least a day. 4/14: Swarm was much larger than I expected. Started about 4" from bottom of the tree and went up 2 feet or better all the way around the tree and on to the branches. Probably close to 10# of bees. Put down sheet, with 8-fram box under the hive as close as I could to the largest section of the swarm. Already sprayed the frames with SW/HBH. Sprayed the bees tool. Started scraping them off onto the box and in front of the box. Took me over an hour to finally get at least 98% of the bees into the hive. Pruned limbs on tree as I went because homeowner told me last night that the tree didn't grow very well. Pruning helped me get to the bees and allowed me to scrap and brush off the bees onto the hive and sheet. Putting IC and then later OC on really increased the amt of bees that went into the hive. Finally stapled the entrance shut and waited for more bees to congregate at entrance or on sheet. Folded sheet up and strapped down hive with sheet around it and brought it home. Removed sheet which had a lot of bees and the screen from the entrance. Bees seem to be doing fine.
    De Colores,
    Ken

First call of the season. Nice 4-5lb swarm on cedar fence. 50 degrees, windy.
    Farmington, NM
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Caught a feral swarm on 04-07 at a blue berry farm I had some hives at. The owner said he had seen some bees coming out of a wooded area before I had brought my hives over so i set up a deep with a few frames and top/bottom of plywood with just 2-3/4" holes drilled in the front. I came back 3 days later and there was a colony in it. I didn't expect this but am glad to get it. The queen had laid in a couple of the frames plus 2 combs they drew that were hanging from the inside of the top. I took theses combs off the top and put them into a single frame. I got lucky not to loose the queen because there was one frame i had installed with the box that had the majority of eggs/brood in it and I was looking for the queen and it slipped out of my hand and one side dropped and hit a hive body and all the bees flew off this frame. I thought the queen would still be light enough to fly but I suppose she was in another area that I was able to put in the new hive. I don't know what the size of the swarm is but they are easily covering 5-6 frames of eggs & brood the queen has laid in. I filled the box with 10 frames with 3 that are plain foundation. They have not drawn this out and this surprises me. Other swarms I've gotten would draw out a frame a day easily???
    It is just the beginning of the flow here and I am wondering if I could still get a bit of honey off this swarm. The queen is laying wall to wall so maybe there will be enough bee to fill a 2 deep hive in 30 days or so and I could try putting a super on?

my own swarm 4/13 and again my own swarm different hive 4/14

Default east richmond, va

wednesday april 13th my hive swarmed. got half plus the queen in a box and the rest migrated. those girls are booming!!!!

4/14, Apex, NC
    ~4-5lb swarm, 10ft up in pine tree around 7pm.
    was helping a new beekeeper split a hive that swarmed on 4/13. found 4 virgin queens, one flew so we split into three hives. counted 15 swarm cells. when split was complete noticed the secondary swarm about 30 feet away. large swarm for secondary.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

14 April 2011 - Madison County, Alabama: One of my hives swarmed and I didn't get there in time to catch it. Oh well.

Collected 2 swarms yesterday evening in the North Huntsville area.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

I forgot in my last post....First Swarm 4/2/2011 probably my own bees Raleigh/Garner NC

Another swarm last Sunday, April 10, 2011. Watched the cluster fly over me and into the woods!

Default Lexington, KY

4/15 5lb swarm from a bee tree, landed 35 feet up a pine tree. I was able to collect them with a little creative ladder work. Unfortunately I don't think I got the queen. The were very restless after hiving. Some started to cluster on the outside of a nuc next to it.

Default Auburn Georgia

It must be swarm day here in NE Georgia This morning I had a call on a swarm in Winder after wich I went to my bee yard by the house and had a small swarm of my own. Then I delivered an observation hive I built to another beekeeper and while pointing out a large swarm in her backyard another swarm came out of another one of her hives. After dealing with those I went to my Bethlehem yard and you know it another swarm. Ok it keeps going now its 4pm and i get a call on another swarm by the time I got there they were gone. So back to the house and while supper is cooking I go the the yard by my house to check on the earlier swarm i caught. and there was another small one out of one of my nucs. I need to build more equipment

Default Post your swarm dates

One swarm yesterday, 4/16 and one today 4/17, each one weighing about 4 lbs. Each in new homes out in the pasture. Weather has been upper 70's and sunny. 93230

Default Re: Post your swarm dates

17 April 2011 - Ardmore, Alabama Collected a large swarm in a small Dogwood tree. Captured one of my own swarms in the Harvest, AL area. Collected a small swarm in the south Madison, AL area.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

Default Re: Post your swarm dates

4/17: Murfreesboro, TN

Cutout of a tree that had been pushed down during clearing on Thur or Fri. Rained 1.65 inches Fri and Sat AM. Was told about it at church Sun. Went and looked at it. Tree busted open pretty good with a lot of comb and bees. Pulled out a lot of comb with brood and scooped up a lot of bees. Finally got the queen in the hive sometime during the process as all of the bees started moving to hive. Did cutout frames after removing all of the comb and most of the bees. When moving some of the comb that was piled up in the first box into the second box I am sure I saw 3 queens fall off. 1 was large and very light in color (almost tan) and large, 2nd was dark and long, 3rd was smaller than 2nd but looked the same except smaller (unmated). Waited till night and cooler. Every bee had to be in the boxes. Couldn't find 1 single bee in the area of the tree, where I did the cutout frames or on any of the honeycomb I left.

Left honeycomb because some of it was full of SHB larva. Should have brought it home, froze it and then fed it to the bees. But some of the bees on some of the honey comb looked like they had been sprayed. Didn't want to take a chance with any of that comb. Comb further up in the hollow was fine. Very huge hive with a huge population of bees (Workers, young house bees, drones, and drones that were twice the size of the other drones).
    De Colores,
    Ken

4/18: Nashville

Call for bees in a house. Bees evidently just swarmed into the home. Guy works 3rd shift so I will go over when he's available and see.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Page 56 of 119 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast