Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

July 16, 2010 in Ann Arbor, Michigan . . . Russians . . . with plenty of room no less.

july 15 3 swarms the size of basketball

Yesterday I was doing someyardwork in Southeast Michigan when I noticed one of my hives was getting a lot of action. I watched for a while and thought it was an orientation flight, a lot of the bees looked like they were coming out 8 to 10 feet from the entrance, circling a little bit and then going back inside. Cool I thought that is kind of fun to see. Then after a couple more passes across the yard I saw the bees boiling out of the hive, and the air was filled with the buzzing of the bees.

I stood in the middle of the swarm, my wife said it looked like I was completely surrounded but none really came within 2 to 3 feet of me. The cloud slowly rose about 30 feet in the air and then hovered over our back fence and finally after about 20 minutes it had settled in a tree in the empty lot behind our house, about 30 feet up in a branch.

We got an empty nuc from the garage and set it up directly beneath them, and I saw a few bees checking it out, after a couple of hours I checked again and saw 5 - 10 bees going in and out and all around it, so I was feeling pretty good that they might commit. The only other thing nearby is an old wood pile and I would not want to have to try to cut them out of there. Or my garage attic... again, not eager to do a cut out.

So I kept an eye on the swarm up in the tree, and at 9:00 last night as it was getting dark, there they are still up there. So I watched a movie and went to bed. When I awoke this morning I thought I would see if I had had any luck and they were still up in the tree. So now I have to wait until I get home from work to see what they have decided.

So, a couple of questions, is it unusual for a swarm to overnight on a tree branch?

Is it too late in the season for a swarm to survive, I heard somewhere "a swarm in july isn't worth a fly"?

What about the colony that the swarm came from? They seem very healthy, I had just checked them the day before, the top medium is almost half full of honey.

Also another note, this hive was the second of three swarms that came from my first hive this May. So I have gone from 1 hive to 5 in just one year.

Great Day!

You started in 2009 with 1 hive and July 2010 this hive has turned into 5 now.
    You will need to watch and help them alot until Spring of 2011.
    Keep hive boxes tight with controled size of entrance to prevent robbing.
    I use screened bottom boards to help ventilate hive and catch all fallout
    with oil pan trap.
    Use powder sugar over brood boxes.
    You will need to feed sugar syrup and pollen patties as needed until Spring.

Good luck, Henry

July 4th.

The van was packed with people and gear and we're backing out of the driveway when I noticed a couple dozen bees flying around some boxes waiting to be scraped and scorched. I stopped the van and told the family that I'd be right back...

I wandered around to the back of the barn and there was a football-sized swarm about 8 feet off the ground in a boxelder tree. I ran back to the van and said "give me a minute..."

I grabbed a ladder, saw, bottom board, deep full of drawn frames, and an inner and outer cover. In about 5 minutes I had the swarm in the box and we were on our way.

I got back to town three days later and the 'swarm hive' was empty, but...
    they had moved into the original stack of empty boxes. They had built enough comb to fill about half of a deep. I got them moved into appropriate accommodations and moved them to an out-yard that evening.

Mother and daughters are doing well.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

I am in Port Townsend Washington. My bees swarmed twice this week. One on monday(7/19), up a tree about 60 ft. Did not recover that one. Then it swarmed again today(7/22) my husband was able to catch this one.

just had a hive swarm July 23. also had 2 others swarm back in May. May 6th and May 8th.

I was actually standing right there when the 1st swarm left the hive. all went directly up into the giant dogwood tree they are under. hived all 3
    -M@

7/23/10
    Murfreesboro, TN

2 swarms. 1 in peach tree with queen and as many bees as possible inside a butterfly house. Had already started building comb. Also a small swarm on the outside of a nuc that was a swarm I had gotten a week or so ago.

Small swarm by nuc. Found unmated queen in a ball of bees on the ground in front of the nuc. Put her and as many of the bees as possible in a medium nuc.

Larger swarm in tree/butterfly house. Unscrewed bottom of house and shook out all of the bees and also shook out the bees that were on the limb above into high nuc below branch. Saw a mated queen.

Later in day I saw a ball of bees on top of high nuc frames. It was the unmated queen or another one just like her. Put her in a small box for a couple of hours. Decided to see what would happen if I let her out by the high nuc. Bees immediately balled her. Put her in medium nuc and she went in between the frames.

Larger swarm absconded back to tree. Every now and then they would swarm out only to return to the peach tree. Put the butterfly house back on tree.

Smaller swarm in medium seemed to be okay.

Larger swarm moved back into butterfly house. I had captured a lot of bees in a small wooden box I had made sometime back. Moved the high nuc away from tree facing a wooden fence and put up a lot of sticks in front. Added a frame of brood that contained larva. Opened up the wood box of bees and dumped some inside top. Many stayed put. Moved the butterfly house and laid by the nuc. Finally had to open the bottom of the house and shake the bees and queen into the top of the box and put top back on nuc. Bees stayed. and were there today 7/25/10.

Can't figure out that unmated queen. Why she would be in front of a nuc containing a swarm. Why she would leave a nuc I put her in with bees and fly over to another swarm where the bees continuously attacked her.

Well 1 out of 2 ain't bad.
    De Colores,
    Ken

2 in the last 12 hours, 49835
    As wonderful as this life is, there are days I really look forward to the next. :)

Bees swarmed 7-28-10 New Stanton Pa...

7/28/10
    M'boro, TN

Noticed a small swarm on a small globe that is on a metal stake. Since I knew a globe was there I knew that this couldn't be much of a swarm. But I put a 5-frame medium under it on 2 bricks. Nuc has a screened bottom. Closed down the small entrance further and added just 4 frames. 3 of the frames have some brood comb.

Well, they all went into the nuc by night fall. As I was putting the cover on the nuc............... a moth flew towards the nuc.................but I got the cover on first.

May or may not make it. Willing to see if there is a queen and if she is mated or gets mated and what kind of layer she becomes. Have a couple other hives that are not doing so well so a combine is possible.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Notta swarm but got my first extraction call in weeks, so I was excited! Bees in a box, $ in my pocket.

C2

Picked up approx 2lb swarm in Hampton Beach NH Aug 3rd
    All seems well, bring in pollen and nectar, appear to be building on 4 or 5 frames at same time. Am hoepful I can get them throug winter if I feed enough. Just changed them over (from a 1/2 gall mason jar) to a 2 bay Miller feeder with a gallon of syrup in it.

i have 5 cutouts lined up to do this week and more to add next week

My tbh swarmed today. Quite late in the season so I hope they make it. I wasn't able to catch them as they were 50' up an oak tree.

Lewiston, MI

Been out of town. Got home Sat night and saw a large swarm in a magnolia tree this AM. Must have been 5 pounds of bees. Cut the limb and placed the bees in a 8 frame high hive. No problems. Bees seemed to be happy. Came back later today around 2PM and they were gone.

Strange thing is that in the past if a swarm left a hive/box/nuc because they didn't like it, they setlled back in the same tree or another one nearby. This time they were just gone.

Hope they went back home.
    De Colores,
    Ken

M'boro, TN
    8/9/10

Evidently the swarm that absconded went back to it's hive. Found the swarm again back in the same tree. Hived it again in the same 8-frame box. Added a frame of honey/pollen. Added a QE above the BB as an includer prior to hiving the swarm.

At nightfall the bees were still in the hive. Me thinks that I have got them this time.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Gotta call for bees on a house in Acampo on Thurday. It's an established hive that I vacuumed up. The comb was 2ft x 2 ft and 10 across in the eves. As I worked on clearing the comb, I saw 4 queen cells. One was chewed open on the bottom, the other 3 were torn open from the side, so they swarmed recently. Once I had the bees that were on the exposed comb dealt with, you could see the bees were in the wall too. The owner said he'd deal with that. So I took my vacuum home and weighed it, it was 5 lbs heavier than when I left. I put the bees in a hive and got a frame of open brood into the hive quickly so I could keep them in the hive and also give them the resources to create a new queen just in case she was already inside the wall.
    I got another call for a house that claims to have 3 colonies in the walls. I'll have to check that later this week, plus advise them of the cost. Funny that she called me and told me that I can have them for free.
    Last I got a call yesterday for bees in Stockton (again) and this time it turned out to be an easy grab. Bees in a upside down 5 gallon bucket! That, plus she paid me $100 to take em, gotta love it!

C2

I staple a piece of plastic queen excluder across the entrance of the hive, of a new swarm. I only leave it in place for a few days. Long enough for them to start to get established and accept the new quarters.

I was running the solar wax melter today, puts the great smell of old brood comb in the air, it brought a swarm right into my yard! They were up 30+ feet so I dropped the top of the tree, it landed with a thud, the bees scattered abit and then came right back.

Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast