Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Default Knoxville, TN 2-fer

Got a call for a cutout yesterday, showed up to assess the situation today and there is a swarm 25' off the ground but directly over the roof ridge and only 8-10' above that in addition to the soffit-hive. Medium-sized swarm, wasn't prepared to collect and it's going to rain all night so if they are still there in the morning I'll get them at that time.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

2 golf ball sized swarms today. Afterswarms?

Picked up another swarm 4/23. 1 1/2 - 2 lbs.

Default 4-25-2010

They were still there, but I mis-judged how far above the roof ridge they were... had to get an extension for my bee-vac to reach them. Here's the pics...

That's all I took because the job was very difficult as it was without stopping to take more pics.

Sad Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

4/26 Orlando, FL area, 85 deg. Sunny. Top bar. 60% or so left.

Chattanooga, TN 20' in oak tree. First swarm call this year. Got another call on the way to this one. Volleyball in size.

Mark

First swarm call of the season in Amarillo TX. April 24th. Swarm in town so likely feral. Weather nice and sunny with minimal wind following several days of overcast, rain and fierce wind and thunderstormes.

Elk Grove, CA on Sat night. Missed them by minutes when the guy finally called back on Sun.
    Lake Camanche, CA this AM, REAL good size too, made up for yesterdays miss. Too bad the other beek he called didn't return the call.
    Elverta, CA today, pulled in right behind another beek (poor communication on their part)
    Stockton, CA today for a cut out tomorrow. This one should pay a little.

Forecast for the next 2 days in my area - RAIN. 4 day weekend coming of nothing but sun...could be busy again starting Thursday

Craig

4/26/10
    Monroe Ga.

Rookie mistake turns a 10 minute job into a 3 hour ordeal. Nice soccer ball sized swarm in the middle of a thin branch about 10' off the ground. I decide to snip the branch down to size. Box was not under swarm and they hit the ground and dispersed. had to wait for them to gather back up, shook them into box. Live and learn.
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Caught a swarm on 3/25/10, missed one on 4/10/10, caught another one on 4/23/10. Zip code 36445. The two I caught are two of my three hives

3Lb. swarm 4/28/10 Spencer County Indiana

Got a call tonight from a lady in Auburn Town, TN. Has a swarm about 10' up in a tree. Bees swarmed out of a tree hive this afternoon. She wants the bees and wants to be a beek. Got to be at a house around 7:45 in the morning for a tree crew that is cutting down a huge tree that has a bee hive in the main trunk. May be a huge hive.

Anyway, going to get this swarm for the lady in the early morning around 6:30. Charging her $93. $40 to come out and get the swarm (22 miles away) and $53 for a 5 frame nuc with 4 frames of foundation and 1 frame of old comb. Think that's fair enough. Swarm is about 10' up. Home is an easy drive. Nuc is one I built from the instructions that were put up on this forum a month or so ago using plywood. Plywood is cabinent grade that was given to me so all I have in the nuc is labor, glue, nails, primer, and paint.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Cut out is going smoothly so far, HUGE colony that's been there for like maybe a week, will pick it up bright and early Friday morning. Would have loved to have heard that thing when it was in the air. Big enough that I needed a 2nd box just to get them all in. I took the 2nd box down this AM and while there got a call for a swarm in the South part of Stockton in the park. Got there and it was about 4 feet off the ground on the trunk of the tree. I literally built box in the street just to get it. Got it home, put 6 frames together just to get something in the box before they built on the lid, then went to work. 10 in 10 days. Anyone wanna buy some bees?

Craig

P.S. My real job is get in the way of my bee jobs.

Picked up my first swarm of this year last night. Rather small one, about 2 pounds of bees. Off of Nick Davis Road, Lori's Landing subdivision, Harvest, Alabama.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

April 22. Fort Wayne Indiana. Basketball size swarm.

29 April 2010. Ferral hive swarmed at 11 am or so,large basketball size. From a tree 15 feet off the ground. Sarasota Fl. 34232
    If it was easy they would get someone else to do it and pay them more money.

Retrieved a small swarm 4.28.10 from the front of one of my hives, it probably came from one of it's neighbors. Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

I caught a swarm this last Sunday (25th) here in Fort-Worth, Texas. The weather is in the upper 70's. I'm not sure about the origin.

Well, going for yet another cut out. Swarm landed on Tuesday and decided that the enclosed fence was the perfect place to set up shop. I thought the little old lady that lives where the fence is was paying, so when she asked how much, I went easy on her and said $40. She said, ok, the land lord will cut you a check. Prob could have gotten a wee bit more.
    BTW, what are peoples opinion about the possibility of AHB in San Joaquin county? The bees I took out of the wall in Stockton, Sure were pissy when I took them today. I went to put some TP in the enterance to block them off and within 10 seconds, I must have had 100 bees outside the hive and smacking me something fierce. Never had that bad of a response before.

Craig

basketball size swarm in Nanticoke, PA today (near Wilkes-Barre) gone before it could be retrieved

Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast