Page 38 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

southeastern ohio. 4-12-10. got my first swarm call. 20 feet up in a cherry tree

Congrats guys! Nic pics too!

Craig

Told the wife I would be home from work early, she told me that would be fine, cause there's a swarm call from across town. Starting my weekend early is great, but starting it with a swarm is awesome. Good size, needed a 10 frame box, they wouldn't fit a 5 framer.

Craig

Big Grin Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I caught two yesterday. that puts me up to seven swarms caught this season. I couldnt believe it they came to my beeyard. I checked the 10 hives I have there and they are all booming so they didnt come from them. They were big swarms both took a full 10 fram box to fit them all. San Luis Obispo County. theres a few more days of warm weather before it cools off I better get some more hives ready

Missed a call from downtown Sacramento because I was at Mann Lake getting more equipment. They've already moved on. I did go check on some other hive locations to search trees. I'll swing back by there tonight and check again.

Putting a few miles in on this one. Going to Gold country, good old Sutter's mill, maybe I should have paid better attention in school so I'd know why it's famous.

4/15/2010: Swarm number 3. Portland Oregon. Things are picking up.
    Damian
    Bee Local™ | www.beelocal.com | damian@beelocal.com | Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    4/12

Got call from another beek about a cutout near me. Called owner. Was a swarm. Went to pick it up and it was gone. Said it was there when I talked with owner earlier.

Said it had been there for 2 days. Can't have what you can't get.
    1st swarm I've heard of in TN this year... FINALLY!!! Sheesh, early spring but the bees have gotten off to a late start anyway.

Just got back, not a bad run, might get a paying cut out from it too. We see what his bosses want to do about the Church where the swarm came from. It's nice to see the trip to Mann Lake is paying off. I'd be out of equipment right now if I hadn't.

Craig

Two swarms in neighboring yards.

Could be a swarm and an afterswarm, but one looked like carnis and the other italians.

http://pugetsoundbees.org/wp-content...0/04/photo.jpg
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-18-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: image to large

My first swarm this year in Berryville, Virginia. I can't remember one this early.

My first swarm this year was 4/7/2010
    Monroe, LA

Got another swarm call on 4/15..........from another beek not too far from me. He is just going into his second year, 79, and his health is not too good.

Anyway, went to help him and the bees had just left. Said he hadn't seen the swarm the day before but I believe they had been there for some time. How likely is it that the bees swarmed and then found a home and left the tree in just hours?

Sad thing is that the hive that swarmed was left with a lot of bees, brood comb (some with honey and pollen) but no queen, eggs, larva or capped brood.
    De Colores,
    Ken

1 swarm call in Rio Vista, someone else got it. I got 3 calls about cut outs yesterday too.

Craig

My split swarmed. Luckily, it lit on a neighbor's fence!
    4/18

Default swarm

First swarm of the year for me,4/18/10,but i did stop 2 from swarming last week. copper287

HUGE swarm Yesterday in a tree here in Galt, almost missed the call cause I was getting ready for work. I climbed the tree in pants and a t-shirt and cut the branch, put it in a box and headed off to work. Got a call today around 12:10 pm for a swarm in Lodi, Ca, 95240, which I will go collect tomorrow AM, thanks to having to go to work again. Then the place in Rio Vista, 94571, called back today, guess the guy that drove 2 hours to get to them, was let down by a shy bees. The bees took flight 3 minutes after he got there, but they have another swarm in a tree, not sure if its the same one or not, but going to get it after the Lodi one tomorrow. I'll have to make another trip to Mann Lake I guess, that should make the wife REAL happy.

Craig

got my first one today. Balled up on some auger peaces at a local
    farm. 83540

Got the Lodi and Rio Vista one yesterday with no problems, While out, I got a call for a swarm in a Stockton (95201 amoung others), plus a cut out in Stockton and Tracy (95304). I'm sure with the rain, I wont seem any calls today or tomorrow.

Also:
    I've been getting A LOT (more than I have time for) of calls for cutouts near Sacramento, CA. They have been in Rancho Murieta, Columa, El Dorado Hills, Lodi, Stockton (3) and Tracy. If there is anyone out there that is interested in picking a cutout job, send me a PM with your info.

Craig

Craig
    Last edited by Batman; 04-20-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
    My first swarm this year in Berryville, Virginia. I can't remember one this early.
    Swarm in Haymarket - about 45 minutes away around the same date...April 15th. last year I had one around April 17th and the year I started with bees (2006), we saw a swarm and it was April 9th
    karla

Page 38 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast