Page 16 of 89 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Dang, see how work is a bad thing? Missed swarm call at 5:11 pm tonight. Stockton, CA zip unknown. Someone picked it up a couple of hours ago.

Craig

Sunday, 4 April 2010, Central Madison County, Alabama, 2-3 pound size swarm.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

Got a call last night about a swarm 30 miles away and as I was about to hang up. I noticed a swarm about 25 feet from my hives. I checked my hives they didnt come from mine. So two swarms one afternoon 93420 and thats after working my 10 hour work day.
    Last edited by renegade980; 04-08-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: left out information

Does it count if it came out of one of your other hives? if so, Galt, 95632 around 12:30 pm. I was placing the other swarm, that I lured with the frame of brood into a nuc when I heard loud buzzing coming from where my other hives are. I looked over and saw a bunch of bees in the air. I walked over to the hives and the bees were just pouring out of one of my hive. I just kept watching to see where they went. Ladder where the old swarm was, side of the house, then my pool in the back yard, followed by the neighbors tree. With the gardener next door mowing, another one using a line trimmer and the last one using a leaf blower (all gas), I couldn't hear the bees anymore and the number of bees I could see flying was getting less and less. I was scanning the tree and not finding any. I was ready to kill the gardener. They didn't speak any English and I know it's not their fault they were mowing the lawn, just doing what they were hired to do. I Walked away from them so I wouldn't say something. I walked back to the hives to look around and there was a cluster of bees about the size of a cantaloupe under the hive that swarmed. It was too early to be bearding, so I thought maybe they were just gathering waiting for the queen. I started scooping bees into another nuc and was just sitting out there watching to see what they would do. There were still bees everywhere, but I saw a small cluster on the front top left side of the nuc. As I was looking at it, there she was. I saw her bald thorax and head sticking out of the group! I carefully scooped up the cluster and verified that the queen was there. I placed my hand over the nuc and plcaed it on top of the frames in the nuc and tried to coax her onto the frames. She landed on her back and was trying to right herself, she didn't get a chance. All the bees that were with her, literally dragged her down into the frames. If it would have been a cartoon, you probably would have seen her leave nail marks as she was dragged away against her will.
    Well, needless to say, I am very happy right now, 3 swarms in 3 days

Craig.

4/8/10 Eastern North Carolina. 80 degrees and sunny/ windy

Question sealed swarm cells 4/2 - Worcester County, MA (01604)

Not sure if this really qualifies as 'swarm' sighting but the Worcester county bee inspector said that he found 2 capped swarm cells on April 2nd while inspecting a local beek's hive. I believe they pinched the cells as he said that he 'took care of them' and didn't mention splitting. He indicated that this is the earliest he's ever seen them and some packages we shook March 28th have already drawn out 5-6 frames of fresh foundation.

We've been _very_ lucky with some warm weather after the past few week's exceptional rainfall. Other folks have reported that their hives are booming as well.

(my apologies if this is inappropriate in this thread. plz move/delete/ban as needed )

Just got home from Valley Springs with another swarm. Zip code 95252

Craig

Caught my second swarm of the year. I think it was a secondary swarm. It was only about the size of softball. I was able to find the queen I put her in one of those hair clip style queen catchers. Then I used a ruber band to attach her to a frame. After a few min they all went inside the hive body. They were laying on the ground so they were kind of hard to pick up. It was nice and sunny about 80 degrees. Jacksonville Florida

Caught a swarm 89701 Carson City Nevada, too bad it was from one of my hives

Quote Originally Posted by LSBees View Post
    Caught a swarm 89701 Carson City Nevada, too bad it was from one of my hives

I say it's all good, sometimes nature just happens. It could have been worse, someone else could have caught em.

Clements again this morning. Biggest one yet, close to 5 lbs

Batman you're making me jealous
    Human natural selection= just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

I've lost two swarms last weekend and this weekend April 11, 2010. There is a large pine tree next to my hives and the swarms bunch up in the higher part of it and I can't get to them. I just have to watch them fly into the woods. I plan on cutting the tree down to stop them from swarming in it. I guess we need more bees to make it in the woods anyway. So not all is lost in my opinion. I'm located in Piedmont, Al 36272

Hi, I am here in Central California--Monterey Peninsula. My big, beautiful hive swarmed at least 4 times--on April 7 and April 9. I was able to recapture and hive those 4 swarms--happily! Zip code is 93924

Picked up another swarm in North Portland today (Sunday April 11th). Got the call at about 2 pm. Easy capture; they were low in a hedge. Snip, snip and dropped 'em in a box. Easy breezy.
    Damian
    Bee Local™ | www.beelocal.com | damian@beelocal.com | Portland, OR

Picked up swarm #2 today about 3#
    Weather: Sunny and Windy @ 80*
    Date:4-12-10 Time:1520

Caught my 1st swarm using a plwood 5 frame nuc. It was a small swarm but they began building comb right away.
    April 13, 2010 / 80 degrees / Vance, Alabama / along tree line next to an open pasture / Appears to be a feral swarm.
    I 'm not judgmental...... I 'm just unselfish with my knowledge that what you're doing is wrong.

southeastern ohio. 4-12-10. got my first swarm call. 20 feet up in a cherry tree

Congrats guys! Nic pics too!

Craig

Page 16 of 89 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast