Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

June 10 was the first four since then. They are not done yet.
    Cloquet, MN 55720

15473 Perryopolis, PA. 6/24/09 Second swarm in as many days. Havent went to get it yet. Waiting on my friend and then we'll go. 84 degress, and sunny. Has been nice weather for the last 4 days.

6-28-2009
    12:00 NOON I just watched 1 of my hives swarm. Their 20 feet up in my next door neighbors tree. I don't think I can reach em. any one want northern survivor stock?
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.

6/26/09, Fredericktown PA 15333. Didnt get them but got a call from the bee inspector about them. Very large swarm from what he was told. Cloudy day, about 73 degress when I got the call.

6-28-09 Wife's birthday, so she got an unexpected present. Got the call about 5 pm that a small swarm had landed in a tree up in Pine Grove, which is about 1 hour from here. Grabbed a nuc box and a frame of nectar from the hive in the back yard along with 2 undrawn frames and loaded up. Cap'd them about 6:30pm. Let the nuc sit for an hour and an half still full of bees and most the the extras settled in, so I think I got em. Put the hive in the backyard around 10pm and there is a few hanging out on the front porch, but the hive I stole the frame from has some sitting out there too..was 107 here today. Kinda jazzed, first swarm that was in a tree, hell of a lot easier than ripping out a wall! Prob about 1 to 1.5 lbs of bees.

6-29-09. 5 pound swarm. Willmar, MN. 56201

I had a call about a swarm on June 21st and couldn't go get it, so another beek was able to capture it. and then I captured my first swarm from my own hives on June 28th. I am in Southwest Montana.

Scottdale, PA 15683. 7/2/09 Softball sized swarm in grass. Has been raining off and on for the last week. Temps in the 60s. I love these free bees!!

I just captured a swarm from a wild hive by my mother's house on Wednesday. One of my hives just swarmed today (quite the independence day). First time I've ever witnessed a swarm in action! Super cool. Lewiston, Michigan (Northern Lower Peninsula)

Question Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I am a 2nd year beekeeper. I caught a swarm two weeks ago (June 20th maybe). I put it in a new hive body on which I had used waterproofing and Gorilla glue. It stayed almost two days, and left. July 4th one of my 2nd year hives swarmed; I caught the swarm and installed it in the hive body. Yesterday abut 6:00 p. m. I found they were gone. I found them in the same bush very close to where they were the day before. I caught that swarm again and have them in a paste board box. Does anyone know why they might be leaving the hive box? I used the waterproofing on the other four hives I have assembled, but have not used Gorilla glue before.

Zip 88130, Portales, NM on the east side. Swarm dates 6/20 grapefruit sized; July 4 my 2nd year hive swarmed; I caught it; same swarm left hive box again July 5th; caught again.

Use Titebond II glue, it has the same characteristics of regular white glue, but is almost waterproof, by test. I have been using it in wooden boat building, and use it in the construction of supers.

Ug, the heartbreak of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was told by a lady my wife knew that a large swarm had taken up residence this morning in downtown Lodi, which is only 15 mins south of me. I guess someone called it in and the local police volunteers showed up to divert people away while they waited on a call to animal control. This info was passed on to me about 4 hours after the fact. I called the PD and was informed that they were already dealt with, tho not sure what exactly that means. This is the 3rd swarm I have heard of in the last 2 weeks in just casual conversations. Going camping this weekend up country, kinda close to where I got my swarm last week, guess I will take my supplies just in case. Cross your fingers I'll bring back a souvenir.

Got call from local PD yesterday for a swarm, but when I got there, the patch of bees that were on the wall was small. As I looked closer, I noticed that they were bring in pollen, so I think this is and established hive in the wall and that someone just saw the extra bees bearding outside. The building has a stucco exterior and where they are at is accessable from both the roof side and the outter wall side. The building is also for rent, but as of yet the owner has not returned my phone call, so I am curious, is there any way to lure them out in into a nuc that I can place near by or is extraction the only choice?

My hive swarmed on June 4 this year in Philadelphia, PA 19125

Hi Batman,

Brushy Mountain sells a video/DVD that includes a method of drawing them out without cutting out the wall.
    If I remember correctly he had them use a piece of hardward cloth, made a little cone from it with enough of an opening to let the bees out, without allowing them to get back in again. This cone was secured via staples and or duck tape to the the opening the bees are using as an entrance. Another empty hive is standing by, so the bees unable to get to their home will go to the next one over. You'll need to had a queen if you can't catch the original one.
    I bought the video, and was pleased . I thought the money well spent. Good luck.

hive swarmed on July 8 2009 this was a little late did not catch them darn
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

one of mine went today july 12/09

While on vacation my sister watched one of my hives swarm and fly away July 9th.

another hive swarmed today july 15

Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast