Page 118 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Swarm date 7/29/14. Limb on tree about 30 feet from hive.

8/7/2014
    East Liverpool Ohio 43920
    Two swarms in one tree.
    One 3-4lb. and one small 1-2lb.
    The bigger swarm had two queens and the smaller only had one.
    Joe and Heidi S.

8/10/2014
    Very large 7-8lb swarm up about 20' in a locust tree.
    Joe and Heidi S.

8/12/2014
    Big Swarm 5-6lb about 8' in an apple tree.
    It had just rained on them coming down hard. They were still pretty gentle considering.
    Joe and Heidi S.

7/20, placed traps on 7/10 (should place them in April)

08/21/2014
    11:30 AM (Eastern)
    Waldo County, Maine
    4-5 lbs of bees
    4 feet up from ground on tree limb
    Caught 2:05 PM (Eastern)
    Brian
    Waldo County, Maine, USA. 5A (-20F to -15F), 11 hives

08/19/2014
    8:30 AM (Eastern)
    Waldo County, Maine
    3 - 4 lbs of bees
    2 feet up from ground on hanging basket in garden above cucumbers
    Caught 12:15 PM (Eastern)
    Brian
    Waldo County, Maine, USA. 5A (-20F to -15F), 11 hives

Got a call today 8/22/14
    close to the ground. 54961

I know I know......its late in the season but....I'll feed feed feed. If that fails I'll combine

Because this is me second swarm call ever.....pics to follow (assuming they are still there in the morning.

Was on my way to a beemeeting yesterday 08/24/14, and was going to stop to pick up my cheap cardboard box bait trap to take along to show the club "See, a cheap cardboard box trap will last the entire swarm season."
    Went up to the trap and there were bees coming and going! I'm not sure how long they have been in there, as I had quit looking several weeks ago thinking swarm season was over.
    I guess I will have to push the feed to them too, and if they don't get enough stores between now and the end of the year, I'll either combine them, or steal some honey from another hive.

Well, so much for that swarm. I stopped after work to take a look at the box that sat on top of an electric box. (Out in the middle of no where, but along a road.) As I was standing there watching the bees come and go, there were two vehicles that passed by and one of them beeped.

I went over near dark, and everything was gone. (The cardboard box, the carpet over top of it to keep the sun off, and the brick on top to keep everything there.) There were about 20 bees clustered right below where the box was, so apparently shortly before I got there, who ever it was that saw me there, came and decided they needed them.

I looked around just to make sure they didn't pick everything up and throw it in the weeds, but I didn't see it. I guess I'll have to go back tomorrow when there it's daylight just to make sure.

I didn't really need a swarm this late in the year, but I could have added them to a colony that I think may be queen less.

Oh well, apparently they needed them more than what I did.

That's wonderful. I have painted all of my traps to help them blend into their surroundings just in case someone e is trespassing and comes across them. Hopefully they will never be seen. Nobody likes a thief!

Killerbee, I'm not out much other than the bees and a frame of drawn comb.
    What I can't figure out is that box was there ALL summer. Somebody sees me standing by it and within the next 2 or 3 hours, they come back and take it. I just hope they are actually using the bees and didn't just take it to throw it out somewhere.
    I would assume they took it to keep - they didn't seem to be afraid of the bees at the front of the entrance.
    Like I said, apparently they needed the bees more than I did. It's just strange.

Picked one up yesterday about the size of a basketball. Swarmed out of another beekeepers TBH. He was gracious enough to allow me to capture it in one of my lang hives. I will wait a week or so, check for eggs and bring it back to the apiary.

08/27/14 Brookville, PA 15825 The hive beside my sister's house swarmsed. That beekeeper gathered them up.

08/29/14 Reynoldsville, Pa 15851 I was called out to a house with a swarm of bees hanging on their cellar window. The aluminum siding on the house came down about 2" below the window, so I used a cardboard box to get most of them. Dumped them into a hive, and they were happy - but some kept returning to the window. I brushed them off into the hive several times, but some still kept going there, so I just put the hive up against it (it just fit) and put the lid on as far as what I could.

I'll go back tomorrow.

I'm 99% certain I got the queen - once the majority of the swarm was in the hive - they fanned and stayed there. Not sure if the ones going back just can't figure out their queen is now in the hive 1' away - or if possibly there were 2 queens in the swarm. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

8/28/14: 19382, West Chester - 6pm small swarm, easy catch.
    PAHunter62
    Zone 6b: 11 Hives, 17 NUCs, 10 swarms captured 2014

8/29/14: 19382, West Chester - Caught a swarm today in a trap - checked the trap yesterday and it was empty.

I'll probably make use of these late swarms to strengthen weaker hives that I would have combined otherwise.

south central pa aug 25, first of the year all 8 frame, deeps, and medium honey supers

Well, I went back on Saturday to get the Reynoldsville swarm. I open up the box - and it's empty. I look under the aluminum siding and see a cluster of bees and notice that many of them seem to be around the edge of the board that is covering up the window.

The queen has apparently gotten back behind that that board that is covering the window, so I gather up my hive and go home.

I call the homeowner on Sunday and tell him the bees have moved behind the board, so I need his permission to remove the board and get the bees. He tells me to do what I need to do, so today I showed back up with my homemade bee vacuum that I have never got the chance to use.

I get everything set up (this is the type that sucks the bees right into the hive body) and remove the board. It is covering a window and while some bees were on the outside of the window, the one piece of glass was broken, and the majority of the swarm was behind it and between the insulation.

The vacuum is turned on, and the bees start getting sucked in. I get all the bees off the window facing me, and try to get the ones on the other side. The window had two panes in it, and the left pane was the one that was broken, but the bees are mostly behind the right pane. I can get my hose up behind it, but figure to get all of them, I will have to break the other pane. The homeowner agrees and I brake that pane and start sucking up the remaining cluster.

I got all that I could, a few were hiding in the grooves that I couldn't suck out, but I did see a bee flying near the hive so assume she could smell the queen. I get everything all cleaned up and the owner pays me.

I had told him I just wanted my gas money reimbursed - I usually don't charge for swarms, but since this one was already part way in and I had to make a total of 3 trips, my concern was gas money. He handed me $160, which I refused. I took $40.00 for gas and left him with the remaining $120.00. (He might need since the pest control company came out and then called me. I would assume they will at least charge him a call out charge.)

I take the bees and drop them off at their location, and remove the hose. They come out and start reorienting, so while I did a few more chores, I went back later to put the hive body on a bottom board and put a lid on replacing the bee vac ware. They seemed quite gentle for being sucked through a hose and being cooped up in a hive for a while.

I saw maybe 10 dead bees in the bottom of my bee vac ware, so my bee vac worked like a charm.

They already have some drawn comb, so the queen can start laying right away, and they get to the matter at hand - drawing out the rest of the comb and starting to bring in pollen and nectar so I don't have to feed them so much this winter!

August 29th
    Southeast Ohio
    Finished up checking supers and at 7pm small swarm comes out of one of my hives( couldn't tell which). grapefruit sized swarm landed 25 feet in locust tree. Put them in a nuc. May need the queen.

Got a call at work today for bees at someone's house. After asking several questions, it was determined that the bees had just started showing up today and were flying around the eves of the house. I assumed it was scouts trying to find a new home.

Several hours later, the home owner called to say they were all gone. She figured that was the end of it - I told her it could be the swarm finally decided on their new home and were done scouting, or the scouts were just taking a break - I've seen where quite a few scouts are looking around and a little while later there are only a few or none.

I stopped by after work, and sure enough the bees were back - searching and searching along the roof eve. I went home and got what equipment I had left. I stopped at one place where I had a swarm trap set out and was surprised to see bees in it. (Not sure how long they have been there, I haven't been there in a bout a month figuring swarm season was over.)

I have a total of 4 swarm traps set up at the house. 2 up on top of porch roofs, 1 cardboard trap on the deck, and 1 sitting on top of a garbage can beside the house.

When we were setting the traps up, some bees were checking out the potential new homes!

Page 118 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119 LastLast