Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889
Results 1,761 to 1,766 of 1766

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I got a call on a 5 lb. swarm in an apple tree yesterday. These will be a good addition to a weaker (possibly queenless) hive just in time for goldenrod.

8/28 I checked a 10 frame 2 deep hive and found 10 capped queen cells. I thought I was doing a good job keeping an eye on their progress, and had been working on a schedule of every 7 - 10 days.
    This hive definitely looks like they have swarmed. Now I'm hoping we continue to have warm weather for awhile, as I try to decide what to do with what remains of the hive.
    Any suggestion ?

Itty bitty swarm in tree above the hives today (9/2)-- gonna guess it's from one of the seven hives below it. We're not sure which right now. Softball sized ball, pretty tiger striped queen, about a frame and a half of bees. Put them into a nuc, donated some stores, a frame of open and capped brood and an empty drawn frame with a couple naked frames for them. They seem to be content. Feeding them along with the other hives.

Now to figure out which hive threw them and see what their queen situation is.

Thumbs Up Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Quote Originally Posted by dixieswife View Post
    Itty bitty swarm in tree above the hives today (9/2)-- gonna guess it's from one of the seven hives below it. We're not sure which right now. Softball sized ball, pretty tiger striped queen, about a frame and a half of bees. Put them into a nuc, donated some stores, a frame of open and capped brood and an empty drawn frame with a couple naked frames for them. They seem to be content. Feeding them along with the other hives.

Now to figure out which hive threw them and see what their queen situation is.
    I don't think one of our hives threw them afterall. All queens are accounted for and she doesn't really "look" like she came from here. They are settling in and drawing comb from syrup. We'll see how they do!

Fieldale VA 24089
    Probably swarmed about 2 wks ago.
    had built comb on tree branch with a few capped brood upon discovery 9/16/15
    Cut down, put in box.. abandoned.

Gautier, MS.

86 outside today. BEAUTIFUL DAY!

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889