Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

5-20-09 Got my first swarm ever wednesday as a new bee keeper. it was small and only about 1lb but it was a start. I added it to my weak hive to boost the numbers

So far everything is going great

Quote Originally Posted by coopcj7 View Post
    5-20-09 Got my first swarm ever wednesday as a new bee keeper. it was small and only about 1lb but it was a start. I added it to my weak hive to boost the numbers

So far everything is going great

Didn't it have a queen?

Up to nine swarms so far. Caught three yesterday, and two were real whoppers. One barely fit in a deep super. We are having one heck of an apple bloom this year. The bees are really working them well.
    Last edited by edenhillapiaries; 05-24-2009 at 05:47 AM.

Trapped 2 more swarms yesterday. Chittenango, NY 13037

Default Swarm season starting in Maine

Swarms Friday 5/22 at beekeeper's yard in Portland Maine 04102 and Windham Maine 04062

Happy Spring!
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Default What is everyone using to catch swams?

Hope this is not off subject, but what do you folks use to catch the swarms? Sounds like everyone has different ways. I keep a deep super with 7 to 8 frames with foundation and 1 or 2 drawn frames with a little honey in them. I use hive staples to attach a bottom board to the box and keep a lid with me.

When I find a swarm I position the box under it as well as I can and remove all but four of the frames. Then after shaking or brushing the bees into the box I add the rest of the frames (carefully!) back in. The top is put on and the box is left there to be picked up that evening.

This method has usually worked very well and almost every time when I return all of the bees are in there. I will say this, most of the swarms that I find are within the reach of my pickup bed where I place the box. I did find two this year that required ladders or standing on the pickup roof so I modified my approach a little. Since most of the swarms are in orchards there are plenty of lower branches for them to hang on.

I would love to hear what other do.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by edenhillapiaries View Post
    Up to nine swarms so far. Caught three yesterday, and two were real whoppers. One barely fit in a deep super. We are having one heck of an apple bloom this year. The bees are really working them well.
    The hive that I put it in didnt have a queen. I figured the swarm queen would be best since they are already used to her. This hive is now on its 4th queen they keep either killing her or she doesnt stay

Default Maine Swarm Season

Erin, what approximate dates do you consider Maine Swarm season to begin and end ?

Default More swarms

zip 46131 5/5/09 2 swarms, 1 on 5/7, 5/15, 5/17, 5/19.
    leamon

a nice sized swarm in my trap 5 frame nuc. will pick them up tonight

zip 15237 date 5/27/09

Swarm about the size of a volleyball. Temps were low 60s in the morning to low 70s in the afternoon. Rained in the morning, cleared up at about 9 am. Bees were on a chain link fence, and were starting to build comb right there. Must have been desparate, didnt take much coaxing to get them in my hive body!

Caught another swarm yesterday. Up to 11 now. One problem though. The cherry grower that found the swarm for me accidentally sprayed the swarm with Asana (a pyrethroid) before I got there. His beekeeper had already pulled the hives out of the orchard the day before, so he was not expecting to see any bees. It was a 6-8# swarm and underneath it was around 1-1.5# of dead and dying bees. He felt bad about it, but what can you do?

I hope that they make it. Looks to me like it was the outside layer that was killed, so hopefully the queen and enough bees to get started make it. Asana is a contact insecticide so I believe that what damage was done id done (I HOPE). Anyone have any experiences like this?

Thanks,
    Jason

got a call from a carlot wed. had a swarm all over the car. by the time i got there thay had ran it through the car wash twice and all i got was about a tea cup full.

Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    got a call from a carlot wed. had a swarm all over the car. by the time i got there thay had ran it through the car wash twice and all i got was about a tea cup full.
    I hoped you charged them something for wasting your time.

Default swarms

I did a small swarm about a week gao and several days before that my Dad caught a swarm. Both were quite small

Caught three more swarms on 5/30. One small one, one medium, and one large. Also found a fourth, and it was HUGE!, but it was high up in a maple tree. The limb it was on hangs right out over a busy road. Can't win them all!

Jason

2009 Package bees swarmed. These long cold springs sure get things swarming when the weather changes. I have some serious work ahead of me. Random checks througout the apriary.... lots of cups with eggs.

Darrington, WA 98241
    May 31, 2009
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

I happened to be dropping off smoker fuel at my mother in law house and thought i'd check on her hives. one hive was boiling over with thousands of bees. they swarmed and landed 30 feet away in a plum tree. went home and got an empty Lang and was able to shake them in. couple hundred on the landing board began fanning and with in 30 minutes most of the stragglers joined the hive.

Caught a wild swarm on 5/31/09 with one of thoses bee lures off ebay.

Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast