Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New York

74K views 347 replies 85 participants last post by  Tom McCaffery 
#1 ·
Nice big swarm on a low branch. Came from a bee tree in a guys yard. Chittenango NY 13037 78 degrees sunny

#9 ·
A lady near Freeville,NY called and had a swarm on her pine tree yesterday morning (8/27/07) and before I could get out the door to leave another closer to McGraw, NY called to pick up a swarm. I used them to boost a couple of hives that could use the help as the golden rod gets into gear. More swarms lately than when they typically swarm (mid May) I am wondering if the snow (10 inches) in the middle of april set them back a bit ? ....Rick

#10 ·
3 sept 07 Hartford ,NY Swarm

Got a call from the sheriffs dept that a guy had a swarm of bees in his tree and felt they might threaten someones life ? Being a wise guy I replied "and you would like me to take them in custody" ? When I got there they were hanging about 12 feet off the ground so I backed my truck under them hooked up the extrension cord to the beevac and took them home 20 minutes later. I added them to a neighbors hive who was also a late swarm and could use the help. I have been hearing of a lot of swarms this later. I suspect now that they have completed the brood nest turn over and are just adjusting the populations to the living spaces available...just my thoughts....Rick

#13 ·
Collected a swarm yesterday at the Pepsi plant in Conway, SC. It was hanging on a low branch of a Magnolia tree, shoulder highth. I had quite an audience of about ten or more plant workers. They got a real kick out of seeing me pick up a handful of bees that had grouped together a ways away from the nuc box that I used.

While I waited for the bees to get into the box, one worker said that his girlfriend had just called him to report that she had driven through a swarm in flight. I didn't go after that one.

I like the ones I don't have to reach too high for.

#19 ·
Huge swarm came flying in about 4:00 PM and settled into an empty hive about a 100 feet out in front of the small yard I have. I don't know where they came from but it wasn't my hives. May be ferel but I suspect they may have come from a small yard about a mile south of me. This is the first swarm I've seen or heard of in this area which is in the northern part of Oneida county, NY.

#20 ·
My first swarm... and now third hive!

I'm a first year beek and just got a call from a friend of mine who works at our High School. They had a swarm land in one of their gardens.

So, with a medium, a couple pieces of plywood, my jacket, and some straps I headed over. It was very easy since it was hanging just above the ground. I was able to round up the majority of the bees (went back a second time to pick up a few hundred more). I took them home and setup a makeshift hive. Tomorrow I'll have more time to figure it all out and setup my third hive.

What a great hobby! :)
Keith

#21 ·
Swarm Today

Weather: Clear blue sky - up to the 80's
Time: 11.00am
Where - To: Back garden to Lilac Tree
Zip: 13811
First Swarm - caught them, and placed in 2nd hive, where they have since settled. This is my first Bee Year - brought the Nucs on June 4th of this year.
Was a large ball about the size of a Rugby ball.

'Light'

#25 ·
05-15-09 13363

Huge swarm started taking up residence in a 5 frame nuke I had setting out back at about 4:45 PM. Getting near dark now, 7:23 PM and they haven't all crammed in the nuc yet. It was really strange because I had just set up the box as a swarm trap and was going to take it several miles down the road and set it out. Well I'll just have to set up another nuc and take it down the road. :thumbsup:

#26 ·
Recieved a report of a swarm in White Plains NY yesterday (5/19/09) As well as a swarm near the High School in Cortland, NY this morning. When I got there they were in flight over the parking lot ...go figure...uuggghhh ...Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.