Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Michigan

45K views 103 replies 42 participants last post by  cjwebber 
#1 ·
-May 15 first call, gone before I got out of work.
-May 24-th got one.
No calls this weekend. SW Michigan.

#29 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Hived a swarm 9/03 filled a 10 frame deep in Fennville Michigan. Came from one of my hives, two of my hive just don't want slow down and prepare for winter. Good thing I had capped honey from last winter dead outs to give them the stores they are going to need for winter. Goldenrod flow is half done or better here. Dan

#32 ·

Another big swarm today in Michigan. It amazed me that they would swarm right before a downpour. Running short on woodenware and foundation, I got them hived but doubt if they'll stay. All my other hives were to hot to open just before the storm, so they're on foundation with very few frames drawn. Even if it doesn't work, at least they didn't get drenched.

#35 ·

Caught a swarm on sunday after church from one of my hives. 05/06/12 It was 8 ft off the ground in a apple tree, easy catch. Funny thing is that it swarmed from a hive that I was looking for the queen to remove her the day earlier. I didn't find her, but I did get to see the virgin queen emerge that was replacing her as I was going frame by frame removing queen cells.

#36 ·

8-19-12 huge swarm right out of one of my best honey producers:pinch: I just happen to be driving by this yard as they came out. Aw crap I said, as they swirled around and slowly moved to a large maple tree about 50 yards away, 30 feet up. Too many branches and too far up. They were two basketballs plus when they settled:eek: I put out a trap hive with some lemon grass oil and old comb but no luck.

#37 ·

First year beek and my spring package just swarmed today. They are 25 feet up in a sassafras. I'm going to try and cut the limb down tomorrow and catch them. The good news is my hive still has a ton of bees. It's hard to imagine the swarm came out of my hive with as many that are still left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.