Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New Mexico

41K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Barry Digman 
#1 ·
First swarm of the season 1/8/2007
weather in the 70's
Mostly black queen from the wild blue yonder (into a Gumbo Limbo tree)
Mmmmm....
Cracked conch at the Cracked Conch Cafe, fresh key lime pie, cold beer... oh yeah, swarms.

First one on 5-4-07.
More calls than usual it seemed. All of them came within a week, then it tapered off.
Sunny and warm (mid 70's)
Zip 87401.

#5 ·
May 19, 2008
Two swarm calls. The first caller stated that they saw it in the air Saturday and it was still in the bush today. The second caller stated that the swarm was not in the yard this morning, but was there this evening. Got 'em both.

#7 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I am a 2nd year beekeeper. I caught a swarm two weeks ago (June 20th maybe). I put it in a new hive body on which I had used waterproofing and Gorilla glue. It stayed almost two days, and left. July 4th one of my 2nd year hives swarmed; I caught the swarm and installed it in the hive body. Yesterday abut 6:00 p. m. I found they were gone. I found them in the same bush very close to where they were the day before. I caught that swarm again and have them in a paste board box. Does anyone know why they might be leaving the hive box? I used the waterproofing on the other four hives I have assembled, but have not used Gorilla glue before.

#9 ·

5-25-10
First call of the season. Cool spring.
I suspect it's from a feral colony in a cottonwood tree that's only yards from the swarm.
Clustered on tamarisk branch 4' off ground. 4 lbs.

#24 ·

6/1/15 Las Vegas, NM 87701
Basketball size swarm moved into a water heater closet on a doublewide. Owner called on 6/6/15. They had 4, 6"x6" combs built, 2 had eggs in them. Finally built a bee vac, the space was awkward enough to need one...

#25 ·
What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
  • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
  • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.