Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

California

80K views 296 replies 72 participants last post by  IAmTheWaterbug 
#1 ·
earliest was 3/11 this year - 94401, saw a big one last week - 94063

#77 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Swarm call, Northside of Stockton on a lawn. It was small, prob gonna need a lot of help just to get them up to par enough for a nuc winter. Found the parent colony in a nearby PG&E insert that's in the gound. Will have to contact them about that before I go grabbing some high voltage lines.

C2

#79 ·

Friday, March 4th, 2011. Swarm in Hacienda Heights, California 91745. I noticed the bees flying in circles about 11:00 and the ball is still forming a cluster at 11:45. It is a bright sunny day and around 75 degrees outside. The cluster is in an orange tree and is about 4 feet off the ground but buried in many small branches. I will try and hive the swarm.

#80 ·

Thursday 3/3/11, San Carlos, California 94070. Good sized swarm in a tree fern.

#86 ·

March 27, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Approximately 4 pound swarm at state capitol grounds. In a camellia bush about 18 inches above the ground, taped off with caution tape. Nice easy capture, was not able to cut the branch but one good shake dropped the cluster into my nuke box.
Paul

#87 ·

Bout time I get to post in here, I've been jonesing for a hit!

Acampo, Ca (95220) 12:30, a beauty, currently in hive.
Galt (95632) yes, my hive finally popped at 1:00 and are camped out in a hive on my front porch.
Woodbridge (95258) at 1:25, this resulted in a trap out as they took up residence by the time I got there.

2 in the box and now a scheduled job.
I'll call that a nice start.

#90 ·

Got a swarm Tuesday, April 5 in Hacienda Heights, California, 91745.

It seems to be a good size swarm and is gathering lots of pollen and nectar. It moved into a Nuck that that I have been using as a swarm trap in the back yard. it sits behind my shed on a shelf about 5 feet off the ground. There was old comb in the box.

#93 ·

El Dorado school in Stockton, CA 95206 4-7-11.
Got a call from a teacher at the school and as i was asking questions he asked "how much will this cost?" I told him I was not going to charge anything. He was like great! Then he ran in to red tape, principle concerned about different things such as "what if this guy gets injuried while on grounds" Of which he called the Superintendent's office. I also called the Super's office to try and speed up the process since I was on a deadline to go to my regualr job. When the Super called me back, he told me "the bees flew off already, but he wanted to hang on to my card for when more arrive, they get them every year and have been looking for a keeper for years. Told him no prob, call me anytime.
Well, I got a call from the teacher yesterday telling me that they (the school) sprayed them, they were all dead when he went out before before lunch that same day. He is going to try and get the news paper involved and wanted to know if he could give the paper my number if they pick up the article.

#96 · (Edited)

4/14 Acampo 95220
4/15 School in Stockton 95205
4/16 Honda dealership in Lodi 95240

Missed calls thanks to work and overtime:

4/15 Extraction needed out of a pillar in Modesto
4/15 Extraction out of a wall in Tracy
4/15 Extraction out of a wall in Stockton
4/15 Swarm in an orchard in Lodi (picked up and moved on)
4/16 Swarm 6 miles East of Lodi (got call while at work, no answer when I called back)

I'm sure the swarm is gone, but the extraction are still there, since I'm working the OT, anyone interested in going after any of these extractions, drop me a line, I'm not going to have time to do these until July.

C2

#98 ·

Got another call on Thursday as I was leaving for work for a swarm in a Bush in Lodi, they had been there 3 or 4 days already. I went down yesterday morning with the famliy, GOOD size swarm. My son geared up in his suit so he could help me out, he looked like an astronaut. He got to capture his first swarm at 6 years old and he had a blast doing it, wants to know when we are going out again? My daughter was there and took some great pics without gear, which was amazing since she said she'd never go on a swarm call again. My wife said I had a lot of bees on top of my head, since that one mean swarm where I got hit 20 times, I had my jacket and veil on. When I walked over to the car's mirror I had the entire dome of my head covered with bees. I shook them all off in front of the hive and watched them march into the hive.

C2

#100 ·

Acampo, Ca 95220 (again)
I got there about 11 pm, the branch was about 5 1/2 ft off the ground. I walked up and cut the branch down and set it in a hive. With the cooler evening, I don't think I saw one bee fly. Probably about 5-6 lbs of bees.

C2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.