170K views 218 replies 58 participants last post by  R_V 
#1 ·
March 24th '08 3 swarms
March 26th '08 1 swarm
March 28th '08 1 swarm

#27 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Date: 19 Mar 2011

Two more swarms from bee yard today...only have 4 full Hives and one very young split.

As we were getting the second swarm, they all flee back to the hive. Guess they thought it a mean world out there. Placed a hive box with scent next to the box trying to swarm. Someone told me the reason they went back was the queen had not yet left the hive. Funny, we thought she was the first to go!

#32 ·

Found a 5th swarm, this afternoon, from my original 3 boxes. So far from 3 hives, I've got 2 splits and 5 swarms and 3 nucs from queen cells. Did a spit about a month ago by placing one of the two supers (from one hive) in the opposite direction (and ensuring it had a queen cell. Should have put the queen in that box...they say.) Anyways, I found the new queen in the split today.

Placed today's swarm on top of a hive that has become weak by placing paper, from foundation inserts, between the hive and new swarm. Now I will watch and see.

I think it's time for the bees to start making honey and not queens!

#37 ·

4 May 2011-Madison, Alabama Very large swarm on the roof line of a house. I suspect it was a displaced colony from the nearby forest that had lots of downed trees that were hit by the tornadoes.

5 May 2011-HArvest, Alabama Another very large swarm on a small tree in a neighborhood. I suspect it was also a displaced colony from the nearby forest that had lots of downed trees that were hit by the tornadoes.

#38 ·

4 june 2011-One of my colonies swarmed and went into my swarm trap which is the good news. :D Unfortunately the land owner was mowing with his bush hog and ran over the swarm trap which was on a 18 inch hive stand and obliterated the entire thing. The only thing that survived was the old plastic bottom board. Everything else was ground to pulp. :(

#39 ·

35805 Huntsville, AL. Swarm call at Madison County Board of Education on a sign in back parking lot. However some idiot sprayed them all with wasp killer. I guess this bonehead thought he was saving his co-workers from the Apocolypse. This is the third swarm call I've received in the last month where someone kills them before I arrrive.

#40 ·

July 31, 2011 - 35758 Collected a colony from a water meter in downtown Madison, Alabama. When I took this colony to one of my bee yards I found a very small swarm on the bushes behind my beeyard. I put them into a hive box also and may use them on a colony that turns out queenless later this summer.

#41 · (Edited)

Zip 35811 Madison County Alabama. 80+ degrees partly sunny, 3/15/12 (swarmed around Noon) and first one of season. Lit in there usual spot just above the hive in a Tulip Popular. Got lucky with the first bucket bump. Placed in two mediums (couple of drawn comb and the rest no foundation) It's been an hour and they are still stuffing themselves in. Plan on moving them tonight then feed sugar water. (2/1)

BTW, I"m new at this, 2nd year, does this all sound correct?

Would you wait till they draw out the foundation before adding another super?

-Ricky

#46 ·

I caught my first swarm of the year March 28, 2012 in my back yard here at Piedmont, Alabama. It was a fairly large swarm and the little girls ate me up. I've captured a lot of swarm over the years and these were the most aggresive ever. I got stung approxamately 30 times. I don't know why they were so mean during a swarm. I will requeen the if they don't settle down.

#50 ·
came home from work to find a small swarm in one of my traps, possibly a supercedure swarm from one of my hives. this is the first one i am aware of in my area.
inspected the caught swarm today (day 5 after capture), and found only a little over two frames of bees with a queen, eggs, and some just hatched larvae. took them out of the 10 frame box and put them into a five frame box. if it thrives, i'll harvest some brood out of it to build up numbers in any other hives that swarm. the queen may come in handy too if she is any good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.