Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Massachusetts

31K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  Tigger19687 
#1 ·
hived one swarm in bloomfield ct today 5-28-08. not sure of zip they had been there since 5-27-08

#27 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

5/18/12
Attleboro, MA.
70's, Sunny.

I think this may had been my Carni hive for the second swarm. Not really sure. The only thing that leads me to believe that is it landed 15 ft from where my swarm landed on mother's day.

#28 ·

5/18/2012 captured small swarm at burncoat street Worcester ma. 01610 4pm they were there 1 1/2 days. It was warm 65 degrees came from tall rotten tree 50' away
5/23/2012 captured large swarm in Hopedale ma. behind local police station 01747. It was 1pm sunny and warm 70 degrees, came from large brick building next to station lot. 30' away

#29 ·

Attleboro, MA
80 degrees; sunny
My hive swarmed yet again; 3rd time
About 3 lbs.
About 20-25 ft high
Put them in a cardboard box, then into a wooden box until I get more hives.

#31 ·

Just hived swarm #9 for this year. It came from a new package from April. It was over 30 feet up in a pine tree. I was going to let them go, but my son-in-law was determined we were going to get them, so I let him have them for his first hive. Started the year out with 2 second year hives, and 4 packages in April now were up to 15 hives. Crazy!

#33 ·

I caught a Swarm, Marlborough Massachusetts, 4/27/12. Temps in the 50's with intermittent rain nearing dark, but the swarm had been there for half the day already. 20' up in red maple tree. The parent swarm was less than 50 horizontal feet away.

#35 ·

We had two more swarms on Saturday. So we started with two second year hives, and 4 Packages in the spring and we have caught 13 swarms so far. 2 have combined so we are up to 18 hives. All the hives have plenty of growing room, so I don't know why they keep swarming, but I am starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong. We are also in the process of a trap out from a tree down the street which at first we thought it may have been a recent swarm, but upon closer inspection it seems they had been there for years with out the home owners knowing about. Now that they know the bees are their, they are afraid and want them gone.

#36 ·

Spotted a swarm August 31 and waited til the next day July 1 to get them. Good size swarm and not sure if it came out of one of the hives but ill be combining it. To late to start anew. About 40' up a pine tree, they call me crazy, and I might be.

#42 ·

Had swarm around 3:00 again today, from the same hive that swarmed yesterday. They were at the top of a huge tree, and it began to get windy and rain right after they landed. I put an empty hive under the tree and hoped for the best. They were still up in the tree a few minutes ago.

#45 ·

June 22, 2013. Mattapoisett, MA (02739). I sauntered out to my 3 hives mid-morning (1000h) and as I was walking back noticed a swarm (mine) 15' up in a maple. It covered ~ 3' of branch and was 10-12" deep (hanging) in one part. Had to have been 4-5 lbs. They had ignored a bait hive 40' away. I ran to my truck, grabbed some LGO and ran back to place the bait hive under the swarm - but they were already airborne (!?!?!?) and I watched them fly across my neighbor's yard and over the tree line to the south - poof! I assume they had clustered the day prior and were just warming up - in the morning sun. **** it!

#48 ·

7/20, placed traps on 7/10 (should place them in April)

#49 ·

Swarm from one of my hives noticed 1900h May 21, 2015, Acton, Massachusetts - 01720. 14' up in a maple. I cut limb with a pole saw and got most of the 2.5-3.5 lb swarm in a deep box. Put in a frame with some (not much) brood). May 22, 1000h, half size swarm was in the same tree. Before I could clear enough multiflora rose canes to place hive box beneath it, they took flight but not very tight formation and I eventually lost sight of them. Don't know if I have the queen in the box, but I suspect not. Late here this year. My other hives have lots of swarm cells, and my making a nuc out of five of the frames from 3 hives doesn't seem to have discouraged them.

#50 ·
What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
  • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
  • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.