Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Caught swarm in Indiana PA this week - 15701

Caught a swarm 7/9. PA.

Finally - my first swarm call of the year that resulted in a caught swarm!!!!

Received a call this afternoon about "bees in a tree". "I think it's honey bees, it's just one big mass of bees." The guy said they had been there since Friday in a tree about 8' high.

I get there and he meets me and says they are in the backyard. I follow him and he is walking to an apple tree and starts looking up. I don't see anything, and he is looking and I'm thinking to myself "Oh, I'm too late, they have taken off." Nope. They were up in the tree midway on a branch between the middle of the tree and the end of the branch.

The guy brought a 8' step ladder and it's about 5' way too short!!! He then brings an extension ladder and the guy goes back to his porch. Luckily the branch the bees were on was big enough to lean the ladder on, and I gently climbed up to them, shook them into a 5 gallon bucket and dumped them into the hive. I went back up with a cardboard box and cleaned the branch off. And then I stood back to watch.

Bees were flying around the hive and around the branch where they were. A few more bees clumped again so I went up one more time and tapped them into the cardboard box, but when I went to dump them into the hive, bees were at the entrance of the hive fanning - so I knew I had the queen.

I packed up and left, and went back right before dark. No bees in the tree, so I closed the entrance, duct taped the box, lid, and bottom board so nothing shifted and brought them home.

Fisher, PA 16225.

My first swarm of the season!!!!!!

Caught a new swarm sometime this past week in Indiana county PA - 15701

I picked up a nice size swarm yesterday thanks to a phone call from my mother at our family camp, It was about the size of a basketball 35 feet up in a maple tree.

9/1 about 11:00 Am one of my hives swarmed. Went to a tree about 25 feet away but 50+ feet up on a branch that's about 2-3" in diameter. No way I could get them. I put another swarm trap up, a few were checking them out, but between 3 and 4 this afternoon they were off. I watched them go away which was interesting, but sad. Coatesville, Pa.

Got a call today from my grandparents in Elizabethtown, PA who had a swarm on their fence near the ground. Decent size swarm, hard to get in the box, but they are in the hive and doing well.

Another swarm about the same size yesterday in Elizabethtown, PA. Same location as the day before. Must be a good spot, 3 swarms in about 2 weeks in the same yard. I do have a swarm trap up about 50 feet away, but we keep catching them before they go in the trap.

Got a swarm from one of my hives yesterday. Decent Size1601446_787244767965831_3902572629868766188_n.jpg

Thursday 5/15 Oxford, Pa. a swarm took up residence in a house. Could be a job!!!

Airville Pa 17302 I had one hive swarm early today. Later I was able to capture my own swarm and have now started another hive.
    DSCN1456.jpg
    Last edited by ken5400; 05-25-2014 at 06:41 AM.

1st swarm 4-5# ERIE PA AREA 28th May. Captured.

caught a tough swarm tonight. It took 3 times catching the queen in a clip before I finally just gave up and left her in there in the bottom of the box. They're now nicely at home. Swarmed this afternoon, sunny about 70 I'd guess. Coatesville, Pa

Caught 3 Swarms in Indiana County, PA this week - 15701
    PAHunter62
    Zone 6b: 11 Hives, 17 NUCs, 10 swarms captured 2014

Okay, it's my turn . . . . FINALLY!! Just happened to be driving down the road to look at a swarm trap and happened to see "something" on a bush by the side of the road. Immediately my brain says "Was that a small swarm or just dead stuff on a bush?" I back up and yep, swarm of bees.

I run home and get a hive, bottom board, and lid. Close the entrance with tape and go back to the swarm. I was just able to get the deep hive body and bottom board under the swarm with a few inches to spare. One little shake, and they all fall in. Put the lid on and we are on our way home.

It was a small swarm - probably 1 1/2 - 2 pounds - so I'm thinking it must be a secondary swarm. My first swarm of the season!

Summerville, PA 15864

Erie PA third after swarm 2# coating Y- branch 12 feet up- Left before We could Capture-
    Boxed the other two and are stable

Brockport, PA 15823 - Got a call in the morning about a swarm in their Maple tree. I didn't get there until early afternoon, and by then when the lady went to show me where they were, they were gone.

Bees came from their house where honeybees are coming and going from under their 2nd story window. It's an old Victorian house - so hard to tell if the bees are in the wall or floor joist. They don't want their house torn apart, so will continue to put up with them living there.

I of course informed them of the consequences of doing nothing - or the different ways to get them out. I of course told them if they ever got the bees out - the comb and honey would need to be taken out.

6/11/14 two swarms from the hive in my yard.

Got a call this evening from a friend where I have a swarm trap set up - sitting on a stump. He said bees were going in and out.
    I stopped by and lifted the lid, and it's a good size swarm that has moved in. I'll leave them get established for several days before I move it home.
    I set another swarm trap on top of this box in case there are other bees looking for a new home.
    Worthville, PA 15784

I have 3 bait hives sitting near an old abandoned house that has bees in the wall. Hadn't seen anything until I checked on it tonight. The hive nearest to where I parked (sitting on a garbage can) had a few bees flying around going in and out. The next hive (also sitting on a garbage can) had one bee looking at it. The last hive (sitting on the ground) had all kinds of bees flying around it and going in and out.

At first I thought a swarm must have moved in it was that busy, but I lifted the lid - and just bees checking it out.

But something is going on - there is either a swarm already nearby or the bees in the house about ready to swarm are checking out their next house.

Summerville, PA 15864

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast