Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Huge swarm spotted on some high voltage power lines on the NW side of Milwaukee. Watched it for about 30 minutes to see if it would move, but they seemed to have settled in for the day. Milwaukee 53222

Default First swarm - Wisconsin

Appleton WI.
    July 12 about 3:00pm

My first swarm ever and it could not have been easier. About four pound swarm that was hanging from a branch about 30 INCHES from the ground. I just slipped a plastic tote under the swarm, gave the branch a quick shake. and they just dropped with a buzzing thud. I put the lid (with a screen vent) on then cut the branch down to a size that would fit in the tote. The rest of the swarm went back to the branch as I was cutting or to the vent on the lid. After I put branch in the tote i opened up the screen a bit and the rest just marched right in. Heading out to hive them after dinner

The whole thinbg took about 15 mins

Wheeeeeee!

Hive swarmed today (7/22/2011) after having been the subject of an "artificial swarm" attempt earlier this week. Watched the cloud of bees slowly drift across the field, and land on a plumb tree about five feet off the ground. Hived them into a nuc box pretty easily. This was from a nuc purchased in April, 2011, italians, my zip 54868.
    "It seemed like a good idea at the time." - from The Magnificent Seven

My hive that survived the winter just swarmed yesterday - 4/21 - outside Mt Horeb, WI. I'd added boxes and hadn't expected them to be so active so early. The weather has been very warm, in the 50s-60s.

We managed to get the swarm into a box (I cannot confirm I actually got the queen as had to brush them off the bottom of a bench). Then I did the 'lay the sheet and dump them on it' technique on the new hive. They didn't seem to buy it, none went into the hive... They went back to the cardboard box. Does that technique really work?

Then we dumped the box out into the hive and most left the hive again and are just swarming still. Just can't make them happy I guess but we tried. Maybe they'll still go into the hive eventually...
    Last edited by bsdooper; 04-22-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Fill out the over wintering survey! We'll only know what works if we compare what works for everyone!

Got a call and picked up a nice swarm last night. I can't say I remember swarms this early in the year in my part of Wisconsin.

Caught a 4-5lb swarm tonight. 65 deg and mostly cloudy. Most likely came from the oak tree 10 feet from the swarm. The owner said they have been in the tree for 3 years. Brighton, Wi 53168

Sheboygan County, WI
    Watched one of my hives swarm yesterday and caught and hived them. Right before a thunder storm. Which seems to be the most likely time for swarms for me.

Found and caught 3 swarms this afternoon in my orchard. The orchard is in full bloom. First time I ever have caught more than 1 swarm at a time. I am really pumped this year. This brings my total so far this year to 4. Running out of equipment to hive them. I am ordering more tomorrow. My hive count is up to 14.

Eastern Wi.

Caught a 2-3lb swarm tonight. 67 deg and partly sunny. Came from the same oak tree that I caught a swarm from last Tuesday. Easy one to catch. Three feet off the ground and on the end of the branch on a dead spruce tree Brighton, Wi 53168

Oshkosh WI -Thursday May 10th 5:00 in the afternoon. Swarm came from my hive within the 1st hour of putting a nuc into a new hive. About 1/2 the hive swarmed. They were captured and put back in the same hive. It has been 7 days now and they seem to be ok and are producing honey and baby bees .

Default Wisconsin

Picked up a swarm in one of my bait hives on the south side of Eau Claire (54701) on Friday 5/18.

(54701) Got a swarm to move into another bait hive this morning. This one is about 1/2 the size of the one I got Friday.

Sorry for the late posting... I'm a first time beekeeper who went from no bees to two hives overnight. Two different swarm traps, 30 yards apart, caught bees in the same weekend. Noticed the bees on Memorial Day...5/28. Location...Fond du Lac WI 54937.

Saturday, July 7th, 12:05 PM, a small swarm, approaching from the N.E., landed in a stack of supers(with comb) in the drive way that we had painted. There was some indecision as to which stack was best, and as of night fall, the vote was not unanimous.

Roland Diehnelt
    Menomonee Falls. Wis. 53051

Two yesterday - 98648 and 98607 (Stevenson and Washougal WA). Volleyball sized each. Another in downtown Camas, WA today, little smaller.

Very early this year!

Caught a swarm that was on the ground last night 5/29.

Paddock Lake, WI 53168

June 18
    Partly cloudy
    Avoca, WI

June 23
    Partly cloudy
    Humid
    87*

Caught a five pound swarm this evening in a friend's front yard.
    Lake Beulah, Wi 53120

7/12/13 Had a call for a swarm in Paddock Lake, WI 53168. Way too high to catch so I put out a bait hive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast