Page 103 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2118

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Swarmed and caught July 3rd.

They left my first hive, that was a nuc that I installed on May 6th.

Burlington, Vermont

Caught a five pound swarm this evening in a friend's front yard.
    Lake Beulah, Wi 53120

Caught a swarm 7/9. PA.

Caught an 5-8 lb swarm this morning. It was a big one! They wouldn't fit in a Nuc box so I had to put them in a 10frame deep. The original colony must have been a monster.

July 13, 2013. Quite nice for July, around 88 degrees. It's been raining a lot here for last two weeks.

7/12/13 Had a call for a swarm in Paddock Lake, WI 53168. Way too high to catch so I put out a bait hive.

2 swarms July 9th. 1 Swarm July 14th. Harris MN

7/17/13, Bedford Co, VA. Good size swarm > 5 pounds for sure.

Hi,

Sorry for posting so late, but I just noticed the request. I'm a few months late, but maybe it will help in the long run.

I had a lure catch a swarm on May 20, 2013. Temp was maybe 85F, sunny and breezy. At 2:30 the swarm was in the process of moving into the box. Location is 33rd parallel and near -71.? Origin unknown.

Good luck with your research.

bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

Picked up another one in a swarm trap 7/19/13. No pollen entering as of 7/24. Odds are good queen was/is a virgin. Good looking group of hard workers.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Removed a swarm that moved into the ceiling space of an apartment unit. Comb & sealed brood age maybe 2 weeks maximum. There were no emerged brood cells. Tons of bees that I had vacuumed into a deep with drawn comb & placed in a yard. Two days later maybe 10% were still there. Glad I made good coin on the removal.
    Same time frame gave me another swarm in a swarm lure box. Seems like plenty of bees & they have pollen & nectar coming in. Gotta bring it to a yard asap-never know if they will runn off.
    Both were in S.E. NC.
    Can we try & remember to include location in these posts?

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Can we try & remember to include location in these posts?
    OK - the 33rd parallel and -71 or so degrees East - West is Northwest Louisiana very near the Louisiana / Arkansas State line and about 70 air miles East of the Texas State line. ((-:

I'm glad you're having good success.

bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

Quote Originally Posted by beesintrees View Post
    OK - the 33rd parallel and -71 or so degrees East - West is Northwest Louisiana very near the Louisiana / Arkansas State line and about 70 air miles East of the Texas State line. ((-:
    I'm glad you're having good success.

bnt

Great-thanks. I wasn't referring to your reply however. Not that it makes any difference but if need be one could easily find the lat/long coordinates you posted.
    Your location sounds like a great one for beekeeping . I imagine you have a lot of the same weather I do in the very SE part of NC except you get tornadoes & we get hurricanes. God willing neither of us get either one.
    I really like your signature but I'm clueless on the ((-: emoticon?
    Thanks
    Howard

I just was told of a swarm tonight in northeast Missouri. It's low in a tree and I will get it before the sun comes up in the morning. I don't have a good idea about estimating the amount of bees, but it looks like a good size to me. zip, 63501

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    if you include zip codes I'll add this data to the database I'm building for bloom dates

http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/blooms.html

add good comments too, they'll be valuable down the road

Dave
    Not entirely sure of my swarm date zip code 14006

Caught three swarms this week. 82009

Finally - my first swarm call of the year that resulted in a caught swarm!!!!

Received a call this afternoon about "bees in a tree". "I think it's honey bees, it's just one big mass of bees." The guy said they had been there since Friday in a tree about 8' high.

I get there and he meets me and says they are in the backyard. I follow him and he is walking to an apple tree and starts looking up. I don't see anything, and he is looking and I'm thinking to myself "Oh, I'm too late, they have taken off." Nope. They were up in the tree midway on a branch between the middle of the tree and the end of the branch.

The guy brought a 8' step ladder and it's about 5' way too short!!! He then brings an extension ladder and the guy goes back to his porch. Luckily the branch the bees were on was big enough to lean the ladder on, and I gently climbed up to them, shook them into a 5 gallon bucket and dumped them into the hive. I went back up with a cardboard box and cleaned the branch off. And then I stood back to watch.

Bees were flying around the hive and around the branch where they were. A few more bees clumped again so I went up one more time and tapped them into the cardboard box, but when I went to dump them into the hive, bees were at the entrance of the hive fanning - so I knew I had the queen.

I packed up and left, and went back right before dark. No bees in the tree, so I closed the entrance, duct taped the box, lid, and bottom board so nothing shifted and brought them home.

Fisher, PA 16225.

My first swarm of the season!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    I really like your signature but I'm clueless on the ((-: emoticon?
    Thanks
    Howard
    Howard,

I thought I replied to your comment but don't see it in the thread or in my sent folder, so here goes.

The emoticon is a double chinned little fat guy, smiling, laying on his side on a sofa watching TV. Maybe someone will draw up one that portrays the same thing.

bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

I have two swarms to report. I thought I posted the first one last week. Oh well.

First swarm was from a water heater tank which contained a hive of bees. I moved the hive a few miles and the second day the tank was on the ground I drove up to the tank about 4:20 PM on July 24. I followed the swarm to a red oak treee about 100 yards from the tank where it stayed intil the following Tuesday and about 11:30 AM it swarmed and took up residence in a lure box I set up on the previous Wednesday. I documented the week with my camcorder and will post the series on youtube ASAP.

Location for both swarms is Springhill LA.

bnt
    Last edited by beesintrees; 07-31-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: completioin of requested information
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

Caught a new swarm sometime this past week in Indiana county PA - 15701

Caught a big one 8/4/13...barely got all the bees squeezed into two mediums. Best part....they weren't from my hives. Henry Co, OH 43545

Page 103 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast