Thread: Ontario

Default Ontario

one of mine went today july 12/09

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

hive full august 10. august 13, looked like half bees were gone. not to traphive or to empty- just gone.
    they were a small nuc installed june 4 2011 and built up like crazy.
    southern ontario, a little north of toronto
    "when the student is ready,the teacher will appear"

One of my hives swarmed yesterday. it only moved 2 feet from the hive and lay there on the ground. Most of them moved into a nuc box that i had handy, but I could not see the queen. i gave them some sugar syrup and I'll check it again tomorrow. Location Strathroy Ontario.

So, just caught this swarm and, this one, this one…very swarmy weather up here. I started the season with 7/8 hives over wintered. The winter was so cold and long I thought, there wasn't a hope in hell they would winter well so, I ordered 4 nucs. That made 11, I wanted 12 hives and 8 nucs to end the season in the fall. I notice I made a mistake in the math and really wanted 16 hives & 8 nucs. This swarm was hive 31 and according to bee math, …thats just about how many I wanted…yeah, yeah, well, there's a couple old boxes…I have no life...

My hat goes off to the beeks that catch swarms because, they are a ton of work (some of them anyways). To secure into a new home, I can spend hours trying to get a swarm into a box. For me next year, Bee vac is top of the list. I think of the hours I could have spent making boxes and the other wooden ware. I have blown entire Saturdays, chasing swarms around the yard…

And now...I think of the threads I have read about swarmy genes, these are all swarms or, swarm cells…apparently, i am schit at making honey but man, can I make bees…

IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sept 1st 2013...
    IMG-20130901-00527.jpg

At least I got them back...

Windsor, Ontario. Got a call from someone who found me on Beesource. Small swarm, probably a couple pounds. Found 2-3 queens that look like virgins so probably an afterswarm. Added frame of brood, hopefully they stay put.

Default Ontario

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Ontario

May 26th
    Centre Wellington County (north of Guelph), ON
    1 - Had a swarm trap up for one week, found them yesterday bringing in pollen.
    2 - Another trap put up only 24 hours earlier had a swarm moving in when I checked yesterday. They were inside after dark so I consider them caught.

I have no hives at either of these locations.
    Not even the end of May and already 2/4 on my swarm traps.

June 29 2016
    London ON
    There is a swarm of bees in the trees on the farm where my hives are located. I don't think they're mine...I just did an inspection less than a week ago and saw no signs of queen cups. Our two hives were just started last month from nucs. They are probably from another farm that has quite a collection of hives, about 500m from where the swarm is located. Free bees! :-)

Multiple swarm dates in my backyard.

Smiths Falls, Ontario

June 9th, my hives caught and successfully hived
    June 14th, my hives, did not stay put
    June 16th, either same swarm from the 14th or not from my hives, did not stay put
    July 7, my hives, caught and in process

I check multiple times a day but may have missed others..