Thread: Ontario

Default Ontario

one of mine went today july 12/09

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

hive full august 10. august 13, looked like half bees were gone. not to traphive or to empty- just gone.
    they were a small nuc installed june 4 2011 and built up like crazy.
    southern ontario, a little north of toronto
    "when the student is ready,the teacher will appear"

One of my hives swarmed yesterday. it only moved 2 feet from the hive and lay there on the ground. Most of them moved into a nuc box that i had handy, but I could not see the queen. i gave them some sugar syrup and I'll check it again tomorrow. Location Strathroy Ontario.

So, just caught this swarm and, this one, this one…very swarmy weather up here. I started the season with 7/8 hives over wintered. The winter was so cold and long I thought, there wasn't a hope in hell they would winter well so, I ordered 4 nucs. That made 11, I wanted 12 hives and 8 nucs to end the season in the fall. I notice I made a mistake in the math and really wanted 16 hives & 8 nucs. This swarm was hive 31 and according to bee math, …thats just about how many I wanted…yeah, yeah, well, there's a couple old boxes…I have no life...

My hat goes off to the beeks that catch swarms because, they are a ton of work (some of them anyways). To secure into a new home, I can spend hours trying to get a swarm into a box. For me next year, Bee vac is top of the list. I think of the hours I could have spent making boxes and the other wooden ware. I have blown entire Saturdays, chasing swarms around the yard…

And now...I think of the threads I have read about swarmy genes, these are all swarms or, swarm cells…apparently, i am schit at making honey but man, can I make bees…

IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sept 1st 2013...
    IMG-20130901-00527.jpg

At least I got them back...

Windsor, Ontario. Got a call from someone who found me on Beesource. Small swarm, probably a couple pounds. Found 2-3 queens that look like virgins so probably an afterswarm. Added frame of brood, hopefully they stay put.

Default Ontario

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry