Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oregon

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Getting to be peak swarm season here in the Willamette Valley based on reports. Had a swarm move into one of my traps yesterday - my first swarm catch and will move them next week after they have a chance to settle in.

Mark

Prime swarm season down in Eugene Oregon. I'm aware of 4 this week.. I just caught 1 right outside my office window. Sure beats the normal work day activities
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Large swarm from one of my hives. Dallas Oregon. 5/29

This thread isn't very active. I captured a football sized swarm in North Portland, OR. yesterday April 15. Better than a tax return.

Today 4/16 two swarms by my bees but I think they were from some commercial pollinators nearby.

Around 4/10 and 4/11 in Medford, OR, a beek caught a couple swarms. We have one of them now in our first hive (a TBH). I'm guessing 3lbs or more of bees. I think the other swarm was a bit smaller from what he said.

If they all stayed in the hives I put them in I will have gotten 4 hives between verboort and forest grove ore.

JUNE 14,2013--Sunny day and 85 degrees south of Cave Junction in southern Oregon. Golden Mean top bar hive,April 9 this year package install filled hive except last bar, Carniolans, swarmed today.

Portland, Oregon here. June 4th through 16th. I and some others around here have been getting so many swarm calls it's impossible to keep up. As soon as the morning clouds free up and people start looking around outside, it's "Oh my God there's this crazy mess of bees in my back yard! HELP! Pretty much upper 50's to low 60's at night and pushing 80 or more in the days.

Just picked up two swarms today! One was a relatively easy cut-out and beevac, the other was in a wood box in the barn--just shook them into my bucket!

On mayday '14 a swarm (not from one of my hives) installed itself in my Bee equipment shed in a 10 frame deep that was in a large paper bag. I had two hive sets waiting for captured swarms, (I'm on swarm lists). I had inspected them to make sure they were ready to go and did not seal the bags very well. We tore open the bag put a bottom board under it and a top board halfway on top to let the dozens flying around in the shed go to roost. When it got dark we closed the top and closed it up. We will feed for a day or two and move it out to the bee yard. (No I didn't buy a lottery ticket.)Scappoose, OR 97056

Swarm in Aloha, OR on May 8th 2014. 97006 area code. I now have my first hive!

Sept 15---Swarm out of top bar hive ....only saw small one( 2 softballs size) near Cave Junction,SW Oregon

April 7 15. I caught a small 1-1.5 lb swarm in downtown Portland today. It was hanging at eye level on a small branch. It was a cloudy light misty day, temperature was about 45 degrees. Usual for Portland. I Clipped the branch and dropped the swarm in my collection bucket. Total time about 30 seconds. Now I have to go buy a lottery ticket.

I've had a lucky week. On 7 April 15, I got a swarm call at 9:00. It was a cool overcast morning, (this is Portland) The Bees were hanging from a branch about six feet from the ground in a tree on the patio of a credit union in downtown Portland. I cut the branch and dropped the bundle into my bucket. From getting out of my truck to getting back in was 15 min. Later that afternoon I got a second call. That was more work, it was on the back of a little trailer. On the 17th I got a call about a swarm in a bush in a middle school parking lot in Tigard, OR. I shook them into my bucket and waited until the flyers joined the rest.

Itty bitty swarm in tree above the hives today (9/2)-- gonna guess it's from one of the seven hives below it. We're not sure which right now. Softball sized ball, pretty tiger striped queen, about a frame and a half of bees. Put them into a nuc, donated some stores, a frame of open and capped brood and an empty drawn frame with a couple naked frames for them. They seem to be content. Feeding them along with the other hives.

Now to figure out which hive threw them and see what their queen situation is.

Thumbs Up Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Quote Originally Posted by dixieswife View Post
    Itty bitty swarm in tree above the hives today (9/2)-- gonna guess it's from one of the seven hives below it. We're not sure which right now. Softball sized ball, pretty tiger striped queen, about a frame and a half of bees. Put them into a nuc, donated some stores, a frame of open and capped brood and an empty drawn frame with a couple naked frames for them. They seem to be content. Feeding them along with the other hives.

Now to figure out which hive threw them and see what their queen situation is.
    I don't think one of our hives threw them afterall. All queens are accounted for and she doesn't really "look" like she came from here. They are settling in and drawing comb from syrup. We'll see how they do!

Default Oregon

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Oregon

97333 - Milwaukie (Southeast Portland)
    3/30/2016

My neighbor's feral hive swarmed, and flew off the same day. Unfortunately they didn't move into my bait hive

Default Re: Oregon

Helped hive a swarm in Corvallis 4/13/2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12