Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

2nd swarm in 3 days,7ft up on limb,good size was pretty chilly moved a fue in then smacked the limb and they were home.just befor I left I chkd the limb one more time and there was the queen on a leaf,put her into a queen cage and headed for home then put her with the new hive.this swarm was at a daycare across the street from a elem school.O man was I being watched.

Good bye mr beekeeper
    Thank you mr beekeeper.

Today I was a hero
    Tomorow ill get stung and start all over.
    Grand junction colorado 81505

got my very first swarm call today from a local beekeeper/honey supplier. of course i couldn't drop it all right then and go due to work. went about 1.5 hours later to see if they were still there, and another beek was just coming down out of the tree with a nice package-sized swarm.

i was honestly glad it was him and not me. the call said 10' up in a tree, but it was more like 25' up in a tree. don't think my ladder would have reached them.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

A hive swarmed yesterday, May 27.
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

caught my very first swarm tonight. a friend called me on the way home and told me he heard a swarm near his house. sure enough when i got there there was a good sized ball on the very tip of the smallest limb of the apple tree, probably 18'-20' off the ground. about to put them in the hive after i eat a little dinner. would guess it's maybe 3-4# of bees.

5/29 80524
    Last edited by imthedude; 05-29-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Had one swarm 5/30
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

3lb swarm from my own hive.in box and happy.for now!
    81505,full sun 95deg.not one sting.
    Grand junction colorado.gota love free bees!

just got a call about this swarm. looks like they've built some comb on the side of the house but don't appear to be going into the soffit through the vents. the guy asked that i come back this evening so he could be there to watch. yikes. never had an audience before. hopefully they'll be in their new home at our house tonight.

ETA they're now in a hive at our house. hope they stay. nice size swarm about the size of a soccer ball probably.

photo.jpg
    Last edited by imthedude; 06-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.

caught this package-sized swarm from a fence rail maybe 9" off the ground. slid the box under the cluster and brushed them right into the box. took 10 minutes tops. easy peesy. i want more like this one. they're in a box at home with some window screen over the top for ventilation waiting to go into their new home after dark tonight.

1013142_10201114539042090_1520220855_n.jpg

one yesterday and a swarm removal from a structure today. the swarm moved into the residence on friday afternoon. not a bard start to the swarm season.

photo (Large).jpg

Got this one home finally. Left the box with a good bit of bees in it last night in hopes that they would all migrate into the box, but a single deep wasn't enough. Came back today to find as many, if not more, bees on the front of the box as there were in the box. After adding a second deep and frames, I coaxed about 99.8% of them into the hive and brought them home.

Good timing too. We are getting a massive thunderstorm right now with some hail. This swarm would have been a goner. Hope they stay in the box, as this is one huge swarm.

caught 2 swarms yesterday. one was a smallish 2-3 pound swarm on the bottom of a sheet of plywood. i simply raised up the plywood, slid the box under, and dropped the plywood on the box. easiest swarm catch so far.

the second one was a tough one. there were two clusters about 15' and 18' high. the first one came down easier than the first. i got a smallish queen in that one. i just happened to look down and spot her in the box. the second cluster was tough. they left the cluster location and headed east about 50' at the base of a pine tree. i set the box down, put a sheet at the base of the tree leading to the box and left it for a few hours. cambe 5 hours later and everyone (apparently) was in the box. brought them and buttoned things up to get ready for the snow.

Caught 2 swarms Saturday, 5/10/14 - 1 big one with a smallish queen that I just happened to see when I was dumping them into the hive body and 1 smallish swarm of 2-3 pounds that had clustered on the underside of a sheet of plywood about a foot off the ground. That was the easiest swarm I've ever caught. Pick up the plywood, slide the deep box/frames under, and drop the plywood on the box - as easy as finding $20 on the ground.

picked up a good-sized swarm at our local white cap supply today. they had clustered on the bottom a piece of fabrication equipment and were all under the beam. i'm bad at estimating weight, but i'd guess 5 to 6 pounds of bees. they nicely covered the frames in a 10-frame deep with some left to still wander into the box.

photo(2) (Large).jpg

after the initial brush and shake and a few subsequent attempts, this is what remained. they seemed pretty willing to walk into the box if i could get them close to the entrance.

photo(3) (Large).jpg
    Last edited by imthedude; 05-19-2014 at 01:01 PM.

another swarm collected tonight. this one was probably 4-5 lbs. the one i got from this colony 3 weeks ago was 7-8 lbs. another beek also got one off this colony last week that was 5-6 lbs. impressive. very gentle bees too.

photo.jpg

caught this small swarm last night. looks to be about 3 frames of bees as of this morning.

5/16, 80906, central front range rocky Mt., ~4#, clear weather, ~ 20 ft. up in tree, kept bees, captured.
    5/17, 80906, central front range rocky Mt., !4#, overcast weather, ~30 ft. up in pine tree, from own apiary, bivouac swarm still in place in rain on 5/18.

Aurora, Colorado 80013 - lost all my bees last year due to various mistakes, mainly not feeding enough or diagnosing/medicating. Top Bar and a nuc that I tried a split with.

4/30 - Had a swarm move into my dead/cleaned out Nuc in back yard. It got cold again and rainy after that, and swarms slowed in this area, but they are doing well in a full 10 frame Langstroth super so far.
    5/27 - Got a call from local bee shop and captured a swarm - put in 10 frame Langstroth super.

I have 3 bait hives with swarm commander out, with at least 1 rack of old comb/honey out of my dead top bar. One has been robbed clean, other 2 are still getting lookie-loos but no swarm in them yet.
    They are all in Parker, CO. 2 on a treed 5 acre plot and one in a friend's neighborhood backyard (well landscaped, lots of flowers and small trees). Treed lot has a bee tree in it, looks like some moved back in there or just woke up recently.
    Last edited by Striider; 05-29-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Default Colorado

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12