Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Massachusetts

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Just caught a swarm from one of my hives around 3:00 this afternoon. It was about the size of a soccer ball in a branch about 30-35 feet high. I am half tempted to cut down every tree on my property that is over 10 feet tall.

Had swarm around 3:00 again today, from the same hive that swarmed yesterday. They were at the top of a huge tree, and it began to get windy and rain right after they landed. I put an empty hive under the tree and hoped for the best. They were still up in the tree a few minutes ago.

I caught another swarm in my yard on Monday. Today I got a call from my daughter and son in law, who was in Exeter New Hampshire and spotted a swarm in a tree over the house of friends house.

01720. One of my hives flew the coop, without being observed by anyone (no panicked neighbors calling) on 6/9/13 while I was 90 miles away - **** it!

June 22, 2013. Mattapoisett, MA (02739). I sauntered out to my 3 hives mid-morning (1000h) and as I was walking back noticed a swarm (mine) 15' up in a maple. It covered ~ 3' of branch and was 10-12" deep (hanging) in one part. Had to have been 4-5 lbs. They had ignored a bait hive 40' away. I ran to my truck, grabbed some LGO and ran back to place the bait hive under the swarm - but they were already airborne (!?!?!?) and I watched them fly across my neighbor's yard and over the tree line to the south - poof! I assume they had clustered the day prior and were just warming up - in the morning sun. **** it!

Quincy MA
    11 May
    Good sized swarm took over my deadout hive..... Didn't have to do a thing......;- )

02645, Soccer ball size at shoulder height on apple tree branch in back yard, getting a box ready will get in about an hour , I hope

7/20, placed traps on 7/10 (should place them in April)

Swarm from one of my hives noticed 1900h May 21, 2015, Acton, Massachusetts - 01720. 14' up in a maple. I cut limb with a pole saw and got most of the 2.5-3.5 lb swarm in a deep box. Put in a frame with some (not much) brood). May 22, 1000h, half size swarm was in the same tree. Before I could clear enough multiflora rose canes to place hive box beneath it, they took flight but not very tight formation and I eventually lost sight of them. Don't know if I have the queen in the box, but I suspect not. Late here this year. My other hives have lots of swarm cells, and my making a nuc out of five of the frames from 3 hives doesn't seem to have discouraged them.

Default Massachusetts

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Massachusetts

5/12/16 Hopkinton- today overwintered package swarmed. I caught them 10' up in a pine tree. Still plenty of bees in parent hive. Found capped queen cells in the parent hive last week on 5/6.
    IMG_4144.jpg

image.jpg
    5/17/16 Hopkinton 01748- friend across town called to say a swarm has been in their yard for two days. I collected the small swarm, about 2lbs, from a low branch. Put it in a single deep they are still there today , bringing in pollen already, and taking syrup.

Swarm yesterday at around 1030 AM Aug 7th. Was out in the apiary and watched it happen. Was Praying they would set up in low lying tree. Long story short they set up in an apple tree about 6 feet off the ground. My second swarm capture this year also my first two swarm captures. The girls are being very nice to me as they are swarming on the weekends!!!!!

Any idea what the hive conditions are that let to a swarm in August?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123