Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Massachusetts

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Just caught a swarm from one of my hives around 3:00 this afternoon. It was about the size of a soccer ball in a branch about 30-35 feet high. I am half tempted to cut down every tree on my property that is over 10 feet tall.

Had swarm around 3:00 again today, from the same hive that swarmed yesterday. They were at the top of a huge tree, and it began to get windy and rain right after they landed. I put an empty hive under the tree and hoped for the best. They were still up in the tree a few minutes ago.

I caught another swarm in my yard on Monday. Today I got a call from my daughter and son in law, who was in Exeter New Hampshire and spotted a swarm in a tree over the house of friends house.

01720. One of my hives flew the coop, without being observed by anyone (no panicked neighbors calling) on 6/9/13 while I was 90 miles away - **** it!

June 22, 2013. Mattapoisett, MA (02739). I sauntered out to my 3 hives mid-morning (1000h) and as I was walking back noticed a swarm (mine) 15' up in a maple. It covered ~ 3' of branch and was 10-12" deep (hanging) in one part. Had to have been 4-5 lbs. They had ignored a bait hive 40' away. I ran to my truck, grabbed some LGO and ran back to place the bait hive under the swarm - but they were already airborne (!?!?!?) and I watched them fly across my neighbor's yard and over the tree line to the south - poof! I assume they had clustered the day prior and were just warming up - in the morning sun. **** it!

Quincy MA
    11 May
    Good sized swarm took over my deadout hive..... Didn't have to do a thing......;- )

02645, Soccer ball size at shoulder height on apple tree branch in back yard, getting a box ready will get in about an hour , I hope

7/20, placed traps on 7/10 (should place them in April)

Swarm from one of my hives noticed 1900h May 21, 2015, Acton, Massachusetts - 01720. 14' up in a maple. I cut limb with a pole saw and got most of the 2.5-3.5 lb swarm in a deep box. Put in a frame with some (not much) brood). May 22, 1000h, half size swarm was in the same tree. Before I could clear enough multiflora rose canes to place hive box beneath it, they took flight but not very tight formation and I eventually lost sight of them. Don't know if I have the queen in the box, but I suspect not. Late here this year. My other hives have lots of swarm cells, and my making a nuc out of five of the frames from 3 hives doesn't seem to have discouraged them.

Default Massachusetts

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Massachusetts

5/12/16 Hopkinton- today overwintered package swarmed. I caught them 10' up in a pine tree. Still plenty of bees in parent hive. Found capped queen cells in the parent hive last week on 5/6.
    IMG_4144.jpg

Default Re: Massachusetts

image.jpg
    5/17/16 Hopkinton 01748- friend across town called to say a swarm has been in their yard for two days. I collected the small swarm, about 2lbs, from a low branch. Put it in a single deep they are still there today , bringing in pollen already, and taking syrup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123