Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Yesterday Sunday June 3. Got a call right after we got home from church that there was a swarm about 2 miles from my house. Got there and found it in a small bush. Just enough room to get my hive directly under it with about 6" to spare, snipped the branch and gently lowered it into the hive and shook it. There was a small cluster 2' away, so once I had the swarm hived and the lid on, I shook the rest of the bush. By evening, all the bees were in the hive so I brought it home.

I'm guessing they probably swarmed on Saturday as they were wet from the rain we got yesterday morning. A good sized swarm 3 - 3 1/2 pounds. Must be from a feral colony.

Nevermind what I said about swarm season being over!!!!!

Just received a call this afternoon about a small swarm on a bush in someone's front yard in Brookville, PA 15825. I'll get it after I get off work. It's been cooler and cloudy all day, so I'll have to ask when the swarm arrived.

In the Swarms, Trap Outs and Cut Outs forum, I've been telling about my sister calling last Thursday because she had a bunch of honey bees checking out the cracks and crevices on the outside of their house. I got a hive, frames, foundation and lemon grass oil set up and bees immediately started to investigate it. I noticed some fighting going on, so brought another hive over and added another hive body onto the first hive. Thinking they could decide if they needed a large hive with two deep hive bodies, or just a single deep hive body.

Bees were investigating Friday, Saturday, and Sunday too. Lastnight I decided to add 1 frame of drawn comb, just to try to "seal the deal" and I put it in the two body hive. Sometime today, a swarm moved in!

I got into it tonight as I only had 5 frames in the top hive body and OH MY!!!! 2 - 3 *'s of bees hanging from the inner cover, bees on the 5 frames in the top hive and the bottom hive filled with bees. This must have been one HUGE swarm!!!!!

Corsica, PA 15829 This morning was warm and sunny - in the high 70's.

Got a "swarm" call Monday evening June 18. I was told the swarm was on the side of a house about 15' high and showed up on Friday June 15. I went Monday morning, and there was a cluster of bees on the side of the house right up at the eve on the last row of siding. I held a frame of drawn comb by them, and got quite a few to climb on, but nothing like a swarm should do. I put it in the hive on the ground hoping they might move in and vacate from behind the siding. Because while it does appear to be a new swarm, they are settled in behind the siding. Owner is going to remove the siding to see what is going on. Summerville, PA 15864

Dubois, PA 15801. Got a call this afternoon that a swarm was on the side of a porch. It had just arrived and when I asked how big it was, he said about the size of a gallon jug. Went up to find a huge swarm on the corner of a porch under the eve of the 1st story porch and under the floor of the 2nd story porch. (Much bigger than a gallon jug!) Part of it was nestled in between 2 2X8's. Used a bucket and it took two bucketfuls to get the whole swarm dumped into the hive. I'm guessing it is probably a 6 pound swarm. Biggest of the year that I've seen.
    The guy said yesterday he had seen some bees flying around. Today even more were around and then the swarm arrived. Interesting enough, where the 2X8's were attached to the bricks (a brick house), there was a hole there. I have to wonder if the bees that showed up yesterday were scouts and once the swarm got there, decided the hole wasn't big enough. That or the queen just hadn't got moved in yet. Or maybe it was just a swarm that landed there.
    At any rate, it's now on my property. I put in a drawn comb frame that has some capped brood in it to make sure they stay.

Summerville, PA 15864 Wednesday June 27th

Got a call from my wife late this afternoon. There was a huge swarm on a peach tree in our yard.
    I had a meeting to go to, so once the meeting was over, came home and set a piece of plywood directly under the swarm. Put a bottom board in place with 2 hive bodies on top of it and shook the branch. (Easily within reach - about 4' off the ground.) 1/2 - 3/4 of the bees fell into the hive, the rest fell in front of it.
    The bees immediately began crawling in, and within 20 minutes, most were in the hive, with the rest clumped around the hive.
    I would assume this swarm was from one of my hives - but it's the biggest swarm I've ever captured!

Saturday June 30 - Summerville, PA 15864 I got a call in the early evening that a guy had a swarm of bees on his deck. He said that they had been on the ground before for several days and flew away and today they were back. I asked what the bees were clustered on and he said "The floor of my deck." I asked if I would be able to put a hive right beside them and he said yes.
    I had to use two supers put together as I'm out of equipment. Got over there, and in the middle of his deck on the floor was a small group of bees. (Maybe 100 bees.) I asked if the swarm from a couple days ago was bigger and he thought so. I started to wonder if these were scouts that got left behind, but couldn't figure out why they would have moved from the on the ground to the deck.
    I put the hive beside them and used a piece of cardboard to scoop them up. As soon as I put them at the hive entrance, they started fanning and I started watching. Yep, there was a queen with them - so this must be a very small afterswarm. I'll bring them home and add a frame of capped brood so increase their size. So, I went from getting the largest swarm on Wednesday, to the smallest one today!

Got a call yesterday Sunday July 1 for Dubois, PA that a swarm was on a window. I was busy and told the people I couldn't come, but would come this morning. When I called them this morning, they said the swarm had moved inside a hole in their brick house.

Of course, they were also telling me that they have a had a colony living in another hole for a while, and last week the owner put Sevin dust in the hole and killed them. I have to wonder if this swarm smelled the scent of honey and comb, flew there to move in and determined the hole had been poisoned and ending up finding a new place to set up shop.

I did a cut-out on Sat 7/14, the bees moved higher in the roof than what I could get. (No bee vac at the time. Major bummer!!!) Thought they may have had more comb in the roof, but I was wrong. Sometime Monday or early Tuesday they fled the coop. They didn't even go into the hive that had their comb as w/in 2 days there were SHB that have about taken over. Cut out was off of N. Wawaset Rd. in West Chester, Pa. They swarmed into the pine trees about 50 yards from the original hive because the home owner said that others had noticed a lot of bees flying around that area on Tuesday. They were no where to be seen last night when I got there.

Received a call this evening from a lady asking if I dealt with honeybees. I'm thinking "Yeah, another call that I have bees in the wall of my house." But she said, "I have a honeybee swarm in my rose bush - and yes, they are honey bees." She said that they arrived a short while before she called and the swarm seemed to still have bees coming to it.

I asked where she was from - "I'm in South Fork, PA near Johnstown in Cambria County." Well, being I live in Summerville, PA - that's an 82 mile trip one way. Just a "bit" too far for me! But I did go down through the list of "Bees On The Net" and found her 3 different beekeepers that lived less than 46 miles from her. I even called her back with a 4th number I found on the internet. She said the swarm was basketball sized - so it seems like a good sized swarm.

Just odd to have a swarm this late in the year. I would think if a beekeeper doesn't get them, and they find a place of their own, their is little chance they could survive the winter. The goldenrod is just starting to bloom, so they don't have much time to buld comb and store honey before the winter. This is the latest I've ever heard of a swarm around here. What are the bees thinking?

Collected very nice soccerball-size swarm from same hive and tree I got one from last year. 17601

Strawbale

Swarm today 5/21/13 Pottstown 19465 Probably 4-5 pound. Gone before I got there. There were scout bees still flying around the tree where they were when I got there and the owner had pictures of the swarm.
    Last edited by delber; 05-21-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added date

Around 9 or 10am today in zip 19335. My brother sent be this pic of a swarm on one of my traps in his yard. I was hopeful that it came from somewhere else, but my nephew witnessed them leaving one of my hives. Oh well, at least I caught them. This was from a hive I split on May 4th (taking the queen and two brood frames).

2013Swarm.jpg

I think I also got two additional small swarms in 19335 the past few days also. I'll know in a couple days.

Two swarms that another beekeeper got in Summerville, PA 15864 on Sunday May 26.

The owners saw the first swarm come out of an old house on their property on Saturday. The 2nd swarm came from the same house - both were good sized swarms so either there are two different colonys living in the old house or the first swarm was the old queen and this second one had a virgin queen. After the 2nd swarm came out, they called a local beekeeper who came and got them both.

These are the first confirmed swarms in our area so far this year.

My stronger hive (I have two) swarmed yesterday! I'm still new at beekeeping so. Missed the signs of over crowding. I knew what was happening when I checked the hives yesterday & by the time I ran in to get my husband to show him, they were gone! I hope they find a good home or somebody finds them & calls an experience keeper in the area... it was sunny & mid 70s. Was a beautiful day. Today has been raining & cold I hope they've found a warm dry home. Was a pretty amazing site to witness even if it means I had to say goodbye...

Well wasn't expecting a day like this today a new hive of three weeks old swarmed to a nearby tree I was lucky to be home and fill three buckets full up on a 18 ft ladder and get enough equipment to start another hive it was an experience to remember so my first swarm date is may 29th at about 9:30 am in 17527 it will be a remembered experience my wife photo / video the event

Chester County, PA 19335 - Caught swarm about 1 hour ago. They were already mostly in my trap when I got home, so not sure if it was from my own hives.

Caught 3 more swarms this week back in Indiana, PA (15701). Dad just called with a report. Five out of seven traps in 15701 zip code hit pay dirt in 2013 so far!

Swarm moved into a house 6/11/13. I got a call after they were already in. Nothing I can do other than cutting them out at this point. 19320 Coatesville, Pa. I don't know where they came from, but there are tons of possibilities.

I got a swarm call today. Exton, Pa They said it has been there for 3 days. I shook them into a box and figured I'd come back in the late evening to tie it all up. Well they were back on the branch. So I shook them off again and closed it all up and now they're at my house. Here's hoping that they stay. I'll add a frame of eggs / open brood tomorrow morning first thing.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast