Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michigan

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Hey LSBees. Nice looking swarm. Just out of curiosity, is that a feral hive in the base of that tree in your first pic? My eyes could be playing tricks on me.

Picked up a 3-4 lb swarm last night in Hubbard Lake, MI 49747

2nd swarm of the year, looks like maybe my daughters new hive swarmed. Can not figure it out. They had room and were drawing out the new box.

Caught it I think. Will have to check and see if they stayed tomorrow.

First ever post!
    Swarm from new package purchased 4/20/2010. Italians from Georgia.
    Swarmed July 1, 12:30 pm. Beautiful crystal clear day about 75 deg, low humidity, cool night. Howell, Michigan. The large swarm is 50 feet up in nearby tree on July 3rd at 12:30 pm. No way to retrieve them. We've set out two nucs with swarm lure. One near the apiary, one about 250 yards away. I hope they'll select one of our nucs. Otherwise, a $75.00 investment gone.

July 16, 2010 in Ann Arbor, Michigan . . . Russians . . . with plenty of room no less.

Yesterday I was doing someyardwork in Southeast Michigan when I noticed one of my hives was getting a lot of action. I watched for a while and thought it was an orientation flight, a lot of the bees looked like they were coming out 8 to 10 feet from the entrance, circling a little bit and then going back inside. Cool I thought that is kind of fun to see. Then after a couple more passes across the yard I saw the bees boiling out of the hive, and the air was filled with the buzzing of the bees.

I stood in the middle of the swarm, my wife said it looked like I was completely surrounded but none really came within 2 to 3 feet of me. The cloud slowly rose about 30 feet in the air and then hovered over our back fence and finally after about 20 minutes it had settled in a tree in the empty lot behind our house, about 30 feet up in a branch.

We got an empty nuc from the garage and set it up directly beneath them, and I saw a few bees checking it out, after a couple of hours I checked again and saw 5 - 10 bees going in and out and all around it, so I was feeling pretty good that they might commit. The only other thing nearby is an old wood pile and I would not want to have to try to cut them out of there. Or my garage attic... again, not eager to do a cut out.

So I kept an eye on the swarm up in the tree, and at 9:00 last night as it was getting dark, there they are still up there. So I watched a movie and went to bed. When I awoke this morning I thought I would see if I had had any luck and they were still up in the tree. So now I have to wait until I get home from work to see what they have decided.

So, a couple of questions, is it unusual for a swarm to overnight on a tree branch?

Is it too late in the season for a swarm to survive, I heard somewhere "a swarm in july isn't worth a fly"?

What about the colony that the swarm came from? They seem very healthy, I had just checked them the day before, the top medium is almost half full of honey.

Also another note, this hive was the second of three swarms that came from my first hive this May. So I have gone from 1 hive to 5 in just one year.

Great Day!

2 in the last 12 hours, 49835
    As wonderful as this life is, there are days I really look forward to the next. :)

My tbh swarmed today. Quite late in the season so I hope they make it. I wasn't able to catch them as they were 50' up an oak tree.

Lewiston, MI

Angry Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Hived a swarm 9/03 filled a 10 frame deep in Fennville Michigan. Came from one of my hives, two of my hive just don't want slow down and prepare for winter. Good thing I had capped honey from last winter dead outs to give them the stores they are going to need for winter. Goldenrod flow is half done or better here. Dan

Yipppeeeeeeeeeee!! First swarm today in Barry County, Michigan! All tucked in in their new hive~

Hived a huge swarm in Barry County Michigan today August 18. Kinda late, but we've usually got a good fall flow. And I overwintered late swarms last year. Hope they can build up before winter.....

Another big swarm today in Michigan. It amazed me that they would swarm right before a downpour. Running short on woodenware and foundation, I got them hived but doubt if they'll stay. All my other hives were to hot to open just before the storm, so they're on foundation with very few frames drawn. Even if it doesn't work, at least they didn't get drenched.

Swarm call for Fort Lee in Bergen County NJ yesterday. Small one.

JG

First swarm for me! 4/26/12 Mid-Michigan Had to be around 6 lbs.swarm4.26.12.jpg
    Dave Faulkner. Zone 5b
    Third year beek in awe of these bugs!

Caught a swarm on sunday after church from one of my hives. 05/06/12 It was 8 ft off the ground in a apple tree, easy catch. Funny thing is that it swarmed from a hive that I was looking for the queen to remove her the day earlier. I didn't find her, but I did get to see the virgin queen emerge that was replacing her as I was going frame by frame removing queen cells.

8-19-12 huge swarm right out of one of my best honey producers I just happen to be driving by this yard as they came out. Aw crap I said, as they swirled around and slowly moved to a large maple tree about 50 yards away, 30 feet up. Too many branches and too far up. They were two basketballs plus when they settled I put out a trap hive with some lemon grass oil and old comb but no luck.
    There's not enough sheep dogs and the wolves are coming!!!!!!

First year beek and my spring package just swarmed today. They are 25 feet up in a sassafras. I'm going to try and cut the limb down tomorrow and catch them. The good news is my hive still has a ton of bees. It's hard to imagine the swarm came out of my hive with as many that are still left.

First one for the season 5-19-13
    All the details on our fb page.

Had a nice size swarm move into one of my empty hives I'd baited with lemon grass oil. Storming and rainy but they moved right in. Wooo Hooo . 49073 Nashville Michigan

Cought my first swarm from my bees...boxed them in...will release in morning.
    6/10/13 rainy all day and only 70 deg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast