Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kentucky

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

My first swarm ever: today 5/19/2013. Oldham County, KY 40077. Had a swarm trap in the crook of a tree and they moved in today. I have no idea if they came from my own hives or not. I'm happy!!

Western Ky: 8-27-13 Caught a small swarm, about size of two softballs, Put em in a 5 frame Nuc and marked queen. They were on bottom of park bench, at an Elementary School. They were happy to get rid of em. I was glad to get em :-)

Default Re: First Wild Swarm

One yesterday and one today on Easter 2014,,,,, eastern Ky Mtn Bees!

Hi got my first swarm yesterday eve 4foot high in a apple tree in my back yard from my last year hive i am in Lawrence county Kentucky zip 41264

Bowling Green, KY
    4/11/15 at noon, sunny and clear
    One of my backyard hives swarmed and I walked by as they were taking flight. Managed to quickly bait shrubs and tree limb where they were buzzing about with Bee Charm gel (wish I could find some more of that!). They landed on a tree trunk about 2 feet off the ground. I was watching them gather and putting a hive together while they clustered and settled. While I had my back turned they flew 25' up into the crown of the tree. This was within 40 minutes of the beginning of the swarm. I managed to retrieve them with the help of some of my beekeeping friends, an extension ladder and a swarm catching bucket on a long PVC extension!
    Last edited by mlboling44; 04-14-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Grammar

Bowling Green KY 42101
    4/17/15. 4 pm
    Sunny after a mostly cloudy day
    Large swarm of unknown origin landed on hemlock tree trunk. Brushed into a box and hived with an entrance excluder. Bees were still unsettled today. I think they would leave if not for the excluder.

Had Swarm Today in Western Ky. Small softball size swarm from my bees. Same Forsynthia Bush 2 other swarms landed last year.

Caught one of my own swarms on Friday, May 22.

Default Kentucky

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default First swarm call of the year!!!

They don't get much easier than this!! Hived them in a 8 frame deep with drawn comb and some honey. Moved them into my apiary right before dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Caught a swarm yesterday

Tuesday evening ksp107 sent me a text of a swarm he caught not to far from my house. After ksp107 caught his swarm I thought it would be good idea to put a cardboard nuc box with some frames in the car. Well it paid off yesterday I got a text that said bees everywhere. Luckily I was about a mile away and got there to make an easy catch. Hopefully they like their new home. Time to get them swarm traps out.

Default Re: Kentucky

40391, Clark County, 4/14/16, just after lunch time.

Beautiful sunny warm day in the 60's after a week of chilly and some rainy weather. From one of my own hives. Easy to catch in a small white pine tree. I'd been seeing swarm cells in different hives and had been doing some splits but some swarms still happen. Glad to catch them though.

4/15/16, Clark County, 40391, 11:50 am.

Watched swarm leave one of my hives and settle in small white pine tree (different tree than yesterday though). Put swarm in hive box and put on hive stand after dark. Beautiful warm sunny day.

4/16/16, Clark County, 40391, not sure what time of day.

Sheesh, this is 3rd swarm in 3 days. Glad to catch them but ready for them to stop. I was out of town but my wife texted me a picture of swarm in small white pine tree. I got home late last night so went out first thing this morning and put them in hive box and put on hive stand. Beautiful sunny weather yesterday and today, in the 70's.

4/23/16, whitley county, 40701, 730pm

New guy. Not sure if was mine that swarmed or not. Still activity at my box. Neighbor asked if my bees were ok. Still seen activity at my box and told him as far as I know they are good. Said he had a swarm about 3 feet up in his dodwood. Was not prepared but had an empty nuc that I got three weeks ago from my first bees. Hopefully they will stay. Photos soon. Time to assemble other hive!

Huge swarm caught in a 10 frame deep bait hive on Tuesday, April 19th in Breckinridge County, KY. Zip 40144. Not sure what time of day they moved in.

Caught a small afterswarm from my brother in laws hive yesterday. The primary swarm was last Sunday. Breckinridge co KY 40143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12