Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Picked up a 3# swarm in Hudson, NY 12434 yesterday -- ~10' up in a back yard pine tree -- sunny and 75 degrees.

The homeowner called back this afternoon and I went back to a cedar tree in their front yard, about 15' up, and picked up a 5# swarm, tightly clustered since it was drizzling and 70 degrees -- nice mix of wild hybrids; all sorts of colors.

Couldn't get to two others: one in 12580 and one in 12603.

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Hived this swarm into a single deep last evening. 4' off the ground. 5/14/12 65'F - Cloudy Memphis, NY 13112

Swarm.jpgBoth of my hives swarmed this past weekend. One on Friday the 11th the other was Sunday the 13th. I managed to catch the first swarm but could not get the second swarm in the box. After the second swarm I went in the hives to check for capped queen cells and made a nuc with one of the queen cups that had larva in it. I hope it takes off , will check in in about a week or two to see if it will hatch out.

I got a call at 7am yesterday morning and collected my first swarm of the year here. It was a 4-5 pound cluster. An easy one on a branch about 4' off the ground. Calverton,NY 11933

5/13 in a branch near Rochester, NY -- probably a swarm from one of my neighbor's hives. I don't have any idea how much it weighed. I'd say it was basketball sized! 75 degrees, the second day of some warm breezy weather after a stretch of cold.

got my 2 swarm today in spencerport.

I can't get any more swarms -- I'm out of frames!

got my 3rd swarm today in rochster

one of my hives swarmed today. corvair68 if you think catching swarms wares you out try doing cut outs.

Got some free-bees yesterday. Biggest swarm I've captured. I muffed it the first time (snipped the high branch and the whole thing fell apart and "reswarmed") but then it landed on a small shrub 100 yards away. The bees really resisted going into the box. The beard completely covered the front and one side of the hive, despite the fact that I had seen the queen in the box. It made me worry that she had crawled back out, but it got cold enough last night that they all went in. I will move it home tonite.

cuaght one swarm yesterday and 2 today

Nassau NY 12123
    Junes 24th My nuc I installed two weeks ago looks like it Swarmed. Can this really be? I had it in a 2 deeps.

Thumbs Up Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

You do what you gotta do.... After waiting for the "starter's pistol" for a couple of weeks and taking two calls yesterday about potential cutouts, I got a call from a guy who called me last year (where his swarm only hung out for an hour or so). This one, about 8' up in a cedar tree.... 4# or so, waited for me. I just transferred them into a top bar where I lost a colony over the winter. A little "pissy" but was drizzling yesterday and this morning. Elizaville, NY 12523.

5/12/13 - zip 11718 Long Island
    70 degrees, sunny, windy wnw. 25' up in a locust tree.

"Heeezzzzzz here...."

That's what they must have said -- I showed up at a house to scope a soffit trapout and as I was speaking to the folks, the colony swarmed. I quickly put a dab of LGO on a small branch and within seconds, they formed a cluster 2-3 feet away and higher. Don't know whether that's a coinsidence or not but I did not care. Went home, got my gear and now, all the girls are in a deep -- they almost filled it! (Waiting for all the scouts and stragglers to come home, I will go back and get them in the dark tonight.)

Hyde PArk, NY -- 12538.

Thumbs Up Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Amazing... got home from hiving one swarm and just settling down and got a call from 4 miles away for a 4-pounder 6' off the ground in a bushy little fir tree. Into the catcher box and back home in an hour. Into a hive tomorrow after I set up some frames.
    Village of Rhinebeck, NY 12572

Observation hive swarmed at 15:45. Not happy and friendly either! Put my veil on and went to get some footage and took a dart to each arm. I will hive them later after they settle down. In full protection too LAWL!

Cloudy, semi humid, 65 deg. SSE winds 15-20 mph
    Oswego, NY

Swarm on 5/18 caught
    5/20 too far up in the tree

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.dewey...type=2&theater

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Zip 13210 - Syracuse, NY
    5/18 - Called for a large swarm 12' up in a pine tree. Arrived onsite only 1 hour after swarms arrival, but it had already moved on.
    5/19 - Called about a swarm 15' up on the side of a retail building. Swarm arrived the day before (I suspect the same one as above, as the two spots are less than 1 mile apart.) Got some in the box, but the rest moved on on 5/20.
    5/20 - Basketball sized swarm 10' up in pine tree, parent colony just 20' away. Present since 5/19... just as we positioned the ladder to collect them, they burst into flight. Followed them to a neighbors tree where they settled again. Dropped a good bunch in the box, and left them to get back to work. Returned a few hours later, and they had all left.

2 for 2 on misses this year... call it dumb luck!

May 27

Niskayuna, NY 12309

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast