Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado

Default Colorado

Collected approx 2 lb feral swarm from a homeowners porch at 7 pm last Wednesday. First one this year. Neighbors all watched from a distance, drinking beer and asked lots of questions. Wanted me to bring back a colony to place on their property when I got them going in their new hive.

Big Grin removed a swarm yesterday

Got a call that a "ton of bees" were flying around the callers home and she wanted them gone. The bees began entering a large screened vent in the foundation and she was sure they had just arrived. Turned out they had only one 6x6 comb and two 1x1 combs built when I removed them from between floor joists the following evening. Estimated 6-7 lbs of very docile golden colored bees removed and now happily in residence in one of my hives.
    Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Default Capped swarm cell 3/15

Yesterday one hive had 3 swarm cells with one already capped. It is the strongest of my hives with 2 deeps full of bees. This is about a month earlier than last year. I accidentally destroyed the capped cell but used one of the others to make a split. Earliest split I have ever made.

Default First swarm this year

4-30 Swarm from tree 3-4 lbs
    Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

may 11, 6000`colorado med cluster with drones.6:00 pm

Picked up a swarm in Rocky Ford today 5-15-10. It was from a hive that had lived in a tree at least since 2003. I had planned on doing a cut out but the tree was just too massive, for an old woman! Ha!
    The owner called today to let me know - it was up 18 feet in a tree. My girlfriends came to help hold the ladder & give moral support. It is now in my bee yard!!! I really wanted some of those genes!
    Sharen Branch

8/13/2010

Got a medium sized swarm off of someone's porch at about 4:00 p.m. just outside of Elizabeth, Colorado. Elbert County.

Got another small swarm today
    Lakewood, Colorado... about 10 minutes from downtown Denver.

Got a swarm today. Surprised this early here in Colorado.... Been a really warm spring so far. Temps were only in the low 50's today...Guy said they swarmed there yesterday (also in the 50's) and made it through the night on the tree they swarmed from with rain/hail and low in the 30's. Hope they like there new home in our backyard!
    Rick

2 more swarms caught this week. zip code 80110. Along with a cutout, we've went from 1 to 5 hives in less than 7 days!

Grand junction colorado,81505, 2 sworms,same morning,5/6/11 3lb,and a 5.5 lb,got both queens.and was extremelly windy,75deg,clear.

first sworm of the year,in a flowering tree baskitball or larger,sunny,65deg 5ft of ground.put a handfull in hive body and used a frame for them to crawl rite in.zip 81505,grand junction colorado.

big sworm on a rv,during thunderstorme,somewhone beet me to them,81505.grand junction colorado.

Durango, Colorado May 1st 1:10 pm

I watched one of my hives swarm today, I followed the cloud of bees they landed in a fruit tree North North East 100 ft. and about 20 ft. up from the origional Hive. I captured it in a Nuc box with a few drops of lemon grass oil and used a scoop (dust pan) I made from and old antifreese plastic jug and duct taped to a broom handle . I only had a 15 ft ladder and the box was about 3 ft. below the swarm, I scooped as many bees that I could and poured them into the nuc box all the stragglers made there way to the nuc box by about 8:00 pm . Then I put the lid on and removed it from the tree.......YaHoo.....

Northern Colorado, Longmont, 80504. My Warre hive swarmed on 4/30/2012. I caught it out of a tree, 40ft away. It was only 4ft off the ground.

I live in western Colorado, had some swarms early this year, and had 2, 5/6/12, weather was clear.
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

Caught 4 lb swarm nw of Platteville, CO, May 28, 2012. About 80 degrees, light breeze, about 4 ft off ground, in 1 1/2" sapling.Platteville swarm 052812.jpg

Caught the first swarm of 2013 today in my neighbor's apple tree. About 3-4 lbs. of bees.0503131742a.jpg0503132008a.jpg
    Last edited by Sticky Bear; 05-03-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Sticky Bear Apiary ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

May 12th, mothers day swarm @ 81212. Landed in a sage brush 20' from the parent hive. Secondary swarm from same parent hive on May 14th. Captured the first, couldn't locate the second.

1 1/2lb on fence post was chilly,no flying at all.in nuc tonight but going into ob log hive with door and window.will add 1 lb more to better there build up.was after dark.think I got the queen to.

Grand junction colorado
    53 deg/ cloudy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast