Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Massachusetts

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Attleboro, MA (Southern, MA/R.I. border)
    Cloudy Low 60's
    My neighbors Italians
    5/12/2012

Added details:
    They were about 14' or so up on a some cedars.
    Not sure of the weight, but they were in different clumps.
    After swarms?
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

I hived three swarms today, which I suspect may be from one very strong hive I have. I have two second year hives, one was very weak going into the winter, and only recently filled the second brood box, and four 1st year hives about a month old. Today I went outside to find a huge cloud of bees which after about 15 minutes settled about 18 feet high on a branch in a pine tree. I put a box together and went up the tree to get them , but as soon as I cut the branch they all scattered. They then regrouped on a small branch right next to where the original branch was. I figured I would wait for them to settle and then go up with a box and shake them into it. The weight of all the bees caused the branch to snap and fall to the ground so they all took flight again. So I waited for them to settle once more and finally was able to brush them all into a cardboard box and then introduce them to a new hive which they seem to be accepting at this point. While I was waiting for the first swarm to settle I looked around and found two more swarms clustered in different trees in the yard. So I had to make a mad dash to the supply store to get more hives.

Default Massachusetts

5/13/12
    2 swarms
    Attleboro, MA.
    Mid 70's mostly sunny.

While helping my neighbor get his swarm (again).
    I turned around and saw mine swarming.
    Last edited by John C; 05-14-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Two more swarms from my hives today. I hived three on Saturday, and one today. One was about 30 feet in the air, I was able get them using a 6 foot step ladder on top of my cargo van and a 5 gallon bucket swarm catcher a fabricated using lots of duct tape and 1/2" conduit. The other was about 10 feet higher. I was able to get a few of them, but it the pole and bucket were too unstable being so long, and it started to rain. I put what I got into a hive near the swarm and hope that the queen was in their and will attract the rest down to the hive.

Just hived my 6th swarm this week. I only have two hives that aren't recent package installs. All the swarms have come from one hive. The second hive hasn't built any queen cells. I got into this as a hobby, but it seems to be turning itself into a full time job. That so far doesn't pay very well. I knew the hive was strong, but if I thought it was going to swarm like this I may not have bought four packages last month. So in a little over a month I have gone from 2 Hives to 12.

Just hived swarm #7 this week from my 2 Original hives. The queen from one of the swarms got caught between the boxes, so the bees from that swarm moved in with another swarm from the same day. I am getting worn out painting boxes and chasing swarms. I hope they are done. They are costing me an arm and a leg.

5/18/12
    Attleboro, MA.
    70's, Sunny.

I think this may had been my Carni hive for the second swarm. Not really sure. The only thing that leads me to believe that is it landed 15 ft from where my swarm landed on mother's day.

5/18/2012 captured small swarm at burncoat street Worcester ma. 01610 4pm they were there 1 1/2 days. It was warm 65 degrees came from tall rotten tree 50' away
    5/23/2012 captured large swarm in Hopedale ma. behind local police station 01747. It was 1pm sunny and warm 70 degrees, came from large brick building next to station lot. 30' away

Attleboro, MA
    80 degrees; sunny
    My hive swarmed yet again; 3rd time
    About 3 lbs.
    About 20-25 ft high
    Put them in a cardboard box, then into a wooden box until I get more hives.

Just hived another huge swarm today. I think that makes eight swarms so far for this season.

Just hived swarm #9 for this year. It came from a new package from April. It was over 30 feet up in a pine tree. I was going to let them go, but my son-in-law was determined we were going to get them, so I let him have them for his first hive. Started the year out with 2 second year hives, and 4 packages in April now were up to 15 hives. Crazy!

Another swarm today from a package installed in April. They were bearding all day yesterday, and took off around 2:00 this afternoon. It was a pain to get them, but we did.

I caught a Swarm, Marlborough Massachusetts, 4/27/12. Temps in the 50's with intermittent rain nearing dark, but the swarm had been there for half the day already. 20' up in red maple tree. The parent swarm was less than 50 horizontal feet away.

Yesterday June 30, catch two swarms. One large., one smaller then normal . 12 so far this season.

We had two more swarms on Saturday. So we started with two second year hives, and 4 Packages in the spring and we have caught 13 swarms so far. 2 have combined so we are up to 18 hives. All the hives have plenty of growing room, so I don't know why they keep swarming, but I am starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong. We are also in the process of a trap out from a tree down the street which at first we thought it may have been a recent swarm, but upon closer inspection it seems they had been there for years with out the home owners knowing about. Now that they know the bees are their, they are afraid and want them gone.

Spotted a swarm August 31 and waited til the next day July 1 to get them. Good size swarm and not sure if it came out of one of the hives but ill be combining it. To late to start anew. About 40' up a pine tree, they call me crazy, and I might be.

Caught a big swarm hanging from a branch on 8/22. Worceter ma. 01610, About 12' off the ground. Got them easy

Millbury MA 5/15/13

5/15/2013 @ 1230pm Providence, RI 7LBS Swarm of Honey Bees 25' up in a maple tree. Captured 99% Got the Queen! Hived in my Apiary in Dighton, MA. Good day for the Honey Bee Boys!!

first swarm here today, of course they pick a tree i cant get them out of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast