Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nevada

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

89512, another (third one in the past 10 days) swarm gathered in the tree next door. same spot on the same branch. I know that at least one of these swarms came form my hives. the other two I have no idea. I have not seen any of my hives swarming but the clusters appear in the tree. Swarm was captured and combined with a queenless colony. Swarm had a virgin queen.
    Significant Minority vs Insignificant Majority, 20% of causes produce 80% of the effects.

89512, again in the tree next door. Again as far as I can tell not from my hives. This is the 4th swarm seen in this tree this spring 3rd one captured.
    Significant Minority vs Insignificant Majority, 20% of causes produce 80% of the effects.

Yesterday got a call at 1:00 PM to a swarm at 89511. Smallish swarm 10 feet up in a tree.

9-7-13, 2 miles from 89512 zip code. mid size swarm in bush. easy capture but interesting story. I was actually 250 miles from this swarm in the midst of a conference when I got the call. Managed to step out for two minutes and coordinated others to gather the swarm. Returned to the conference and 4 hours later was informed I now have 21 hives in my back yard. We are now only 2 short of our goal for this year. That is beekeeping in free style.

3-2014 found first queen cup with an egg in it yesterday in one of our nucs. Not certain they would have followed through with it but I have been predicting queen cells in our area as early as 3-14 for our area. We will be checking all hives for queen cells today. We also started our first cell builder yesterday and will be grafting our first batch of cells on 3-31.

4-7-14

Reno, NV 89512
    Got a swarm call yesterday. I was not able to go get it due to being to busy removing swarm cells from hives (47 of them) and capturing queens to make false swarms.

Swarm season has been under way here for at least a couple of weeks. I have heard reports of swarm captures from as early as mid March.

4-19 or 20-14 Reno 89512. My top bar hive swarmed. we never saw it. found hive queenless yesterday. Removed 5 cells from it.

Reno 89512. Discovered another hive had swarmed yesterday 4-23 plus was called to capture a swarm the day before that.

Reno 89512 on 4-30-14.
    Got a call from a tourist that is also a beekeeper. nice easy swarm to catch.

5/4 Reno 89512 was called to capture a swarm at about 4 PM. Primary swarm 7 feet up in an apple tree. Captured wearing no gear and scooping them out by the hand full. Found and caged the queen almost immediately.

5/12/14 South Reno. I am juat making it my zip cause I dont' know all teh zip codes for this town so 89512. 2 swarms within 2 miles of each other. both captured. was called abotu a third swarm in sparks wich woudl have been abotu 15 to 20 miles from the first two. was nto able to get to them.

Overall swarming was a frenzxy here in Reno yesterday. expect the same today. Many swarms are clustering but not relocating. giving us plenty of time to get to them. one report said the cluster had been in the tree for three days.

This is a second boon year for bees in a row. competition may be reaching a peak.

4-8 Reno Nevada.

three swarms reported in the last two days. one this morning that we captured is the larges one I have seen to date. IN all we captured on swarm and did two cut outs today.

Another swarm and a cut out in my area yesterday. I think swarms are having a hard time finding places to go. report says this swarm was on a window seal for three days. I suspect it is a second swarm in the same location.

Default Nevada

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12