Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2119

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Quote Originally Posted by beefast View Post
    Ed next time they fly away have a pot in hand too BANG ON with your hive tool in about a 100 yards or less they will land
    Is this superstition or does it really work?

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Is this superstition or does it really work?
    Dont most swarms land inside of 100 yards from the swarming hive anyway? How many of us have actually seen our hives swarm and can think "Oh lets get the pot"? That's not my first thought. My first thought is "where's my toolbox (that has the queen catcher) and hive equipment to hive this guy?" Last summer I had just this thought when I looked out my kitchen window to see my hive swarm. Landed about 20 feet on the back side of the fence. Easy, and VERY fun catch!!

Caught my first swarm of the year last night. Had about 2# of bees with great temperament today..
    Started them on some sugar water this afternoon and they seem to be really working hard.
    BEES ARE NOT AN OPTION

Caught the first swarm of 2013 today in my neighbor's apple tree. About 3-4 lbs. of bees.0503131742a.jpg0503132008a.jpg
    Last edited by Sticky Bear; 05-03-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

76520, Small swarm on porch easy catch.

Medium swarm today, set up yesterday in a co-workers front yard about 10 feet up. Collected it at 5:00pm today, left the box for them to settle, will move it in the morning.

Found a small swarm in a bait hive. I was going to take some foragers to add to another hive but there were not enough. I came home from there and I noticed a swarm about 20' up a pine tree on the first branch up. It was a fairly big one. I hastily made a bucket pole and got a good amount by jamming it against the bottom of the branch but missed the queen three more times. Got a ladder and a saw and some rope and was able to put the rope over a higher branch then around a fork in the branch the swarm was on. This made the rope connection about at the balance point so I was able to cut it and lower it to the ground. I bounced it on top of the hive body and, I "suspect" the queen was in there. I came back after two hours and there were a few flying like a normal hive with the rest inside.
    Is this the absolute most active swarm season?
    We need a poll???
    What do I do about getting honey? I imagine most of the swarms Ive gotten are from my own hives. I am thinking about combining swarms I've caught or adding the bees back to hives with supers. We are at peak flow and I have too many swarms I've hived and too many colonies without enough bees for a crop???
    Thanks
    Howard
    Last edited by challenger; 05-04-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: mobile version is poor

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    What do I do about getting honey? I imagine most of the swarms Ive gotten are from my own hives. I have too many swarms I've hived and too many colonies without enough bees for a crop???
    Congrats on the swarms. You will get more honey production if you limit swarming.

Challenger, I am not sure just where I am at in my thinking about combining swarms. I here often that small swarms do not do well. It is also my experience that this is true. I cannot say that the one small swarm I have dealt with was a dud due to the queen or if the population just never got large enough to thrive. I do know that I do not capture swarms with any idea that I will get a honey harvest from them in the first year. they are an expense. they will be work and use resources without any production. If they in fact surprise me that is all well and good. But I woudl not make management decisions of a swarm based upon attempts to get a harvest from them. They already have a job to do and that is develop into a colony. I have read information that says they may not complete that until next year.

Also keep in mind that the colony that cast that swarm no longer has a laying queen. She is now with that swarm and will most likely be superseded soon. What this means is that your parent colony also looses. they loose something in the neighborhood of 2000 brood a day and have been for a wile even before the swarm was cast. this loss of brood will continue over the next few weeks as a new virgin queen gets mated and works up to speed on production. I guesstimate that swarming costs the hive something like 56,000 bees not counting what left with the swarm in the first place. This is based upon 2000 eggs a day for 28 days that will not get laid. That was a huge portion of your honey production from the parent colony as well.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Challenger, I am not sure just where I am at in my thinking about combining swarms. I here often that small swarms do not do well. It is also my experience that this is true. I cannot say that the one small swarm I have dealt with was a dud due to the queen or if the population just never got large enough to thrive. I do know that I do not capture swarms with any idea that I will get a honey harvest from them in the first year. they are an expense. they will be work and use resources without any production. If they in fact surprise me that is all well and good. But I woudl not make management decisions of a swarm based upon attempts to get a harvest from them. They already have a job to do and that is develop into a colony. I have read information that says they may not complete that until next year.

Also keep in mind that the colony that cast that swarm no longer has a laying queen. She is now with that swarm and will most likely be superseded soon. What this means is that your parent colony also looses. they loose something in the neighborhood of 2000 brood a day and have been for a wile even before the swarm was cast. this loss of brood will continue over the next few weeks as a new virgin queen gets mated and works up to speed on production. I guesstimate that swarming costs the hive something like 56,000 bees not counting what left with the swarm in the first place. This is based upon 2000 eggs a day for 28 days that will not get laid. That was a huge portion of your honey production from the parent colony as well.
    What you are saying sort of makes my point. My current thinking is I'll put a swarm on plain foundation for a week or so. This is supposed to allow the bees to process any afb spores if there is afb present. If I am sure they are from my hives I'll use some drawn comb. after about a week I'll check for eggs. If I see eggs I'll find the queen and, providing the swarm is a large enough size, I'll put her and a frame of brood along with a frame of pollen/honey & a drawn emprty frame in a 5 frame nuc with 2 frames of plain foundation. If she turns out to be a good layer I'll make the effort to built this nuc into a doubl nuc & maybe bigger. The balance of the swarm I'll shake into a hive I am trying to get honey from.
    Today I combined a volley ball size swarm with a single deep hive and a double deep hive. I found both of these to be queenless. I don't know if the swarm has a laying queen but at this specific time I really dont care. I've got 3 deeps and 4 medium supers stacked up and enough bees to pack these with honey especially since the bottom two deeps have a fair amount of honey/pollen. This is an experiment to see if all these bees, without any nurse duties, will put my honey crop in order.
    If I get a bumper crop from this effort great but either way I'll be splitting them after the flow and put them into two hives witb resources and a laying queen.
    Thanks
    Howard

Medium swarm, apple tree, 6' off the ground, 87401.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Hi Maine Beekeeper, I'm in S.C. and caught a huge swarm today in the backyard. So glad to get it as one of mine swarmed about a month ago. Blessings.

While I did not get the swarm, the owners wanted it, I was called and asked a lot of questions about bees. May 5 2013 Northeastern Ohio.

89512, another (third one in the past 10 days) swarm gathered in the tree next door. same spot on the same branch. I know that at least one of these swarms came form my hives. the other two I have no idea. I have not seen any of my hives swarming but the clusters appear in the tree. Swarm was captured and combined with a queenless colony. Swarm had a virgin queen.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

First one for 2013 about 4 pounds of bees they stoped @ "Subway" 46303
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

had a swarm show up at my house today Not sure how many lbs only seen pictures, I'm out of town and had to phone a friend to catch it for me. 62420

That's what friends are for!

Sorry I have not been keeping up 1st time I have logged in since last fall.

False swarm, I pulled 2 splits and split 2 others that looked pretty full. August 27, 2013 West Point CA 95255.

I pick up a nice 4 lb one out of a pine tree this morning Toledo oh
    David

Called for a swarm in Livermore, CA at 4:30 PM on 5/8/13. Called a buddy up that lived about a mile away from the location and gave him the swarm call. He said it was a nice swarm about 2' off the ground on a branch, shake and bake and was out in 25 minutes.

Got another call of a swarm moving into a wall on 5/6/13, I declined as I dont do removals. That was Tracy, CA.

Got yet another call on 5/9/13 at 9 AM that a swarm moved into a cable box the day before in Tracy, CA. Will pick that one up either this evening or tomorrow morning.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast