Page 92 of 118 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2359

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

If they all stayed in the hives I put them in I will have gotten 4 hives between verboort and forest grove ore.

came home from work to find a small swarm in one of my traps, possibly a supercedure swarm from one of my hives. this is the first one i am aware of in my area.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Medium swarm 76567

Squarepeg, What is a supercedure swarm? This is the first time I have head of that. Or at least the first time it registered what I was reading. I did not know that swarming might be associated with supercedure. Do they cast something like after swarms with the excess queens?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

4/19/2013- Tracy, CA: Got called for a swarm about 1:00 PM. Showed up and the poor guy was having a garage sale when the 5# swarm decided to land in a close by pine tree about 7' up. I shook the swarm into a box, left it on the ground for about 15 minutes and kept shaking the branch as some bees gathered. After the 15 minutes I decided to call it as very few bees were gathering on the branch, probably foragers/scouts. Coaxed the rest of the bees into the entrance of the swarm catcher, tacked on a piece of hardware cloth and rolled out to the bee trailer and transferred the swarm into a double deep nuc with a frame of brood. They will need to draw out the other 9 foundationless frames on their own! Will transfer them into a 10 frame deep in a couple weeks or less.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Had a nice one move in 4-10-13, makes it easy when they fly into used boxes.

Swarm from a colony I will be doing a cut out on in the next week. Another beekeeper set up a trap and managed to catch the swarm. I am glad to be rid of the additional bees. I have no need and really no room for another hive. I hope to cut this colony out and pass it on to another beekeeper.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

11 April under patio table

13 April side of fence

20 April under trampoline

Weather has been war mer than usual until 18 April it became more seasonal (basically clear then storms then clear and cooler)

First swarm today, April 21, 2013. Northeast Oklahoma. 74965

April 13, 2013 - My own hive in Nashville, TN, caught and hived. Have 2 hives, this is the one I did not checkerboard because they were out of stores. The one I checkerboarded using frames of syrup did not swarm.

first swarm april17,2013. luckily they were leaving the hive and settling in a small holly tree when i got home fom work. i caught them . glen arm,Maryland

2nd swarm today. I'm going to have to build more boxes. 74965.

medium swarm 76520

4-20-13, Galt, 95632 - captured with my son.
    4-20-13, Galt, 95632 - had to pass because I had left town for an afternoon with my family.
    4-20-13, Lodi, 95240 - had to pass (see previous reason)
    4-20-13, Stockton, zip unknown - had to pass...
    4-20-13, Lodi, 95240, extraction call, might follow up on this one.

C2
    Last edited by Batman; 04-22-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

April 7, 2013 Zip 78645 basketball sized swarm in a small oak tree in a lady's front yard. Sorry I'm late with this.... forgot to post at the time.

April 18, 2013 83616 Football sized swarm in fruit tree in neighbor's yard.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    came home from work to find a small swarm in one of my traps, possibly a supercedure swarm from one of my hives. this is the first one i am aware of in my area.
    inspected the caught swarm today (day 5 after capture), and found only a little over two frames of bees with a queen, eggs, and some just hatched larvae. took them out of the 10 frame box and put them into a five frame box. if it thrives, i'll harvest some brood out of it to build up numbers in any other hives that swarm. the queen may come in handy too if she is any good.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I am in central Tucson, AZ where the weather has been 80's to low 90's, of course not much rain/humidity to say the least. Have had 4 swarms on large garden property in the past week! Hived one, other 3 moved on. 4/23/13

04/22/13 two more swarms today

I went to one of my yards today. It only has two hives. Last week I inspected both and one looked as if it had already swarmed. It had tons of bees still but I couldn't find the queen. It had plenty of swarm cells but I may have killed them trying to find the queen?
    The other had swarm cells as well. I found the queen and took her and some brood/honey/pollen for a split. As I was putting her in a nuc I could hear her piping. I hope it is mated but that is unlikely from the reading I've done.
    I went today to look at the 3 swarm traps I have there. I decided one was in a poor location. I took it down and was trying to figure out another location. I saw smallish gum tree that was about 40' from the hives. I don't like to put them this close but I walked over to it and was about to hang it. I looked down at a bush about 2' from the tree and there was a swarm at the base of this bush. If I had to guess I'd say it is enough to cover 3-4 deep frames. I am almost sure it is an after swarm. I saw the queen after I shook the bees into a deep I keep on my truck full of frames of foundation. She was walking around on top of the frames and once in a while would go in between but then come up again. I tried to shoo her down and she started flying around. She may have landed in the pile that was still on the ground but I don't know.
    I took a frame of brood from the hive that I think swarmed and placed it in the box that I shook the swarm into and took it back to the house.
    Hopefully they will stay-it's been a slow year for me & swarm catching.
    Zip

Page 92 of 118 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast