Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: California

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

4-3-13 95640 (Lodi, Ca) gotta call for approx 4 lbs of bees in a tree that were "high enough that you could stand on the tail gate of your truck an reach them." Only if I drove Bigfoot! Thankfully they had a forklift and a platform to stand on. Easy grab after that.

C2

4-5-13 95632 (Galt) Another school grab. Maybe they heard the school was having a spelling bee? Perhaps it was the fact that this school's mascot is a bee and they are called the Stingers? Either way, it was nice that a cross town school still had my card from last year and gave them my phone number as it resulted in a solid 4 pounds of bees about 15 ft in the air, now safely hived outside of the city limits.

C2

90807 Long Beach California (SoCal)

Large swarm, about 18" long dangling from a branch at about 15'. First attempt with a cardboard box on a stick then transferring them to hive box failed. Came back, tried again and succeeded with a few less bees.

Learned a few things. These were by far and away the most unpleasant bees I've even experienced. If they don't calm down I'm sure to introduce them to some Dawn Dish soap. These girls were down right violent. I stupidly didn't put on pants for round 1, and got stung 5 times on my ankles. That sucks a lot now.

4-11-13, 95632. Bugger I was getting ready for work and one of my hives decided to jump. Now they are 20' up in the tree in my front yard. Hope they're still there when I get home tonight. Baited hive set out in the bed of my truck.

C2

Well they were still there when I got home. Finally got them down at midnight, they are now sitting inside one of my swarm transporters. I'll put them in a hive tomorrow AM after they cool down, 3 stings, they weren't too happy with me.

C2

4-12-13, Manteca, CA = Swarm call from the place I was supposed to set traps this year but didn't find time to do it! They ended up in the block wall where a swarm went in last year, but that hive died out over winter. I couldn't get them as the queen was already inside. I ended up setting 3 traps in various areas around the property as this place is a swarm magnet!
    Coyote Creek Bees

4/19/2013- Tracy, CA: Got called for a swarm about 1:00 PM. Showed up and the poor guy was having a garage sale when the 5# swarm decided to land in a close by pine tree about 7' up. I shook the swarm into a box, left it on the ground for about 15 minutes and kept shaking the branch as some bees gathered. After the 15 minutes I decided to call it as very few bees were gathering on the branch, probably foragers/scouts. Coaxed the rest of the bees into the entrance of the swarm catcher, tacked on a piece of hardware cloth and rolled out to the bee trailer and transferred the swarm into a double deep nuc with a frame of brood. They will need to draw out the other 9 foundationless frames on their own! Will transfer them into a 10 frame deep in a couple weeks or less.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Had a nice one move in 4-10-13, makes it easy when they fly into used boxes.

4-20-13, Galt, 95632 - captured with my son.
    4-20-13, Galt, 95632 - had to pass because I had left town for an afternoon with my family.
    4-20-13, Lodi, 95240 - had to pass (see previous reason)
    4-20-13, Stockton, zip unknown - had to pass...
    4-20-13, Lodi, 95240, extraction call, might follow up on this one.

C2
    Last edited by Batman; 04-22-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

3-24-13, Lodi, 95240 I'd say almost 4#, 17 feet up. Guess it's off to the store for a new limb cutter since my dad has mine and I'll take them down in the AM.

C2

Saw one fly by on 4/22 while sitting in my car at a light, Woodland, CA.

95695, small swarm today in some oleanders at work. I'd say maybe 3 frames of bees. 5/2/2013, in the box!

Medium swarm today, set up yesterday in a co-workers front yard about 10 feet up. Collected it at 5:00pm today, left the box for them to settle, will move it in the morning.

Sorry I have not been keeping up 1st time I have logged in since last fall.

False swarm, I pulled 2 splits and split 2 others that looked pretty full. August 27, 2013 West Point CA 95255.

Called for a swarm in Livermore, CA at 4:30 PM on 5/8/13. Called a buddy up that lived about a mile away from the location and gave him the swarm call. He said it was a nice swarm about 2' off the ground on a branch, shake and bake and was out in 25 minutes.

Got another call of a swarm moving into a wall on 5/6/13, I declined as I dont do removals. That was Tracy, CA.

Got yet another call on 5/9/13 at 9 AM that a swarm moved into a cable box the day before in Tracy, CA. Will pick that one up either this evening or tomorrow morning.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Wednesday, June 12, 10:00 AM - Called by a worker at the local park service in Livermore (94550) to a large swarm along a walking path. I checked it out and sure enough, about the size of a basketball and a half. Had the wife bring my gear and retrieved a swarm trap that didnt catch anything and headed out to the bees on lunch break. Shook the swarm into the box and set it on the ground in the shade, put the frames in and put the lid on it. I looked at the branch they used to be on and some bees started gathering back on it so I kept my eye out for the queen..........just then I hear an eruption and look at the box on the ground.........bees pouring out of it like water and flying back up to the branch........#$%^! I waited for most of them to gather and nothing left in the hive and shook them again..........same process over. I watched the box and bees that were flying were going down to it, so I left it thinking I got the queen. I went back to work and checked on it just before I got off and there it was..........an empty box and no swarm in sight!! Atleast I got them of the pathway I suppose!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

First swarm call of the year and earliest in 4 years! About a 6 pound swarm 12' up in a tree. Sunny, no wind, temps in the 60's but had a shot of rain in the AM................ Parent hive is about 40' away in a large hollowed out tree.

Livermore, California.
    Coyote Creek Bees

3/18/2014 - One of my colonies swarmed and I was lucky to be on hand to hive them. Big swarm, maybe 5-6 pounds of bees. Branch was knee high, about 20 yards away from hive body. 65 degrees at 10am. Shook them into 2 mediums, put the top on, and walked away. I'll be back in a few days to see if they're still there.

Default First Wild Swarm

Neighbors called with a swarm high in an oak tree yesterday. I put a trap out , scouts were checking it out. Hopefully they'll move in today. Happy Easter everyone!

Default Re: First Wild Swarm

My ignored hive swarmed a week ago from Thursday.... put them in a box!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast