Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Morganton NC, caught a swarm 3/29/13 in the backyard.....not sure yet if it was from my hive. My hive is a year old almost to the date. Had built a hive for my son the night before as well as ordered more equipment for a split earlier THAT SAME DAY! Talk about dumb luck. I haven't had a chance to go in my hive due to my work schedule this weekend but I feel like it came from mine. The cluster was in a ornamental peach tree about 3ft high and 35ft from my existing hive. All seem to be doing well and taking feed.

Zip 28574, USDA zone 8...about 6 PM, 70 F, got a call from a friend...large swarm landed under the kids swing set. A nice, thick blanket of bees laying on the ground. Placed a nuc, 5 F deep with some nice comb in it, and they started marching right in...had to add the second 5 F deep on top to accommodate them with more space.

had a couple buddies hive some of their swarms over the weekend (3/30 and 3/31). They are in the 27526 (Fuquay Varina, NC) area.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

Three more...two yesterday, zip 28574 and one today zip 28546.

4/4/13.....caught my first swarm this morning......27851

4/08/2013
    about 2 lbs five feet or so off the ground
    nice and sunny, a little breezy, about 70 degrees

Today
    One of mine unfortunately.....

Smallish swarm today. S. E. NC.
    People have 2 hives in their home that I am "supposed" to take out when the husband, a contractor, gets time to do the demo in two weeks.
    They said they already had three huge swarms & told my niece about it & asked her to give their number to me but she never did. At least I know the swarm is from a healthy hive. They've had hives in the house for two years so it isn't an AFB concern from my standpoint.
    I'm using this swarm ONLY to draw out medium frames for my supers. A couple of weeks prior to the end of the flow I'll put a second deep box on. Right now they are in a single deep of drawn comb with a medium box of foundation above.

Bad news=two hives swarmed within the last week. good news is I came home after finding this out and saw a massive swarm had taken up residency in one of my swarm traps.. It was an older one that I put out 2 years ago. Once I saw them I got a 10 frame deep and put them in it with a brood frame. I put 6 drawn frames and 4 undrawn plus a medium on undrawn so I could get them to use their wax building abilities to get me some more drawn comb for the hives I am trying to get honey from.
    Zip=28443

I went to one of my yards today. It only has two hives. Last week I inspected both and one looked as if it had already swarmed. It had tons of bees still but I couldn't find the queen. It had plenty of swarm cells but I may have killed them trying to find the queen?
    The other had swarm cells as well. I found the queen and took her and some brood/honey/pollen for a split. As I was putting her in a nuc I could hear her piping. I hope it is mated but that is unlikely from the reading I've done.
    I went today to look at the 3 swarm traps I have there. I decided one was in a poor location. I took it down and was trying to figure out another location. I saw smallish gum tree that was about 40' from the hives. I don't like to put them this close but I walked over to it and was about to hang it. I looked down at a bush about 2' from the tree and there was a swarm at the base of this bush. If I had to guess I'd say it is enough to cover 3-4 deep frames. I am almost sure it is an after swarm. I saw the queen after I shook the bees into a deep I keep on my truck full of frames of foundation. She was walking around on top of the frames and once in a while would go in between but then come up again. I tried to shoo her down and she started flying around. She may have landed in the pile that was still on the ground but I don't know.
    I took a frame of brood from the hive that I think swarmed and placed it in the box that I shook the swarm into and took it back to the house.
    Hopefully they will stay-it's been a slow year for me & swarm catching.
    Zip

Saturday-swarm moved into a woman's house Thursday. Pulled back some carpet, cut a hole in the subfloor and vacuumed out the bees. Already built out about 3/4 of a frame of comb and the queen was laying.
    Monday at one of my outyards at the base of a 3" tree. Had to cut the tree above the cluster then below and shook the trunk piece into a hive body.
    Today at another outyard in a swarm box I have on a tree. Large swarm-don't think it was mine either??
    Howard

Zip 28546. Large swarm moved into one of my trap boxes as I was watching.
    Noticed a yellow dot queen moving in.

Found a small swarm in a bait hive. I was going to take some foragers to add to another hive but there were not enough. I came home from there and I noticed a swarm about 20' up a pine tree on the first branch up. It was a fairly big one. I hastily made a bucket pole and got a good amount by jamming it against the bottom of the branch but missed the queen three more times. Got a ladder and a saw and some rope and was able to put the rope over a higher branch then around a fork in the branch the swarm was on. This made the rope connection about at the balance point so I was able to cut it and lower it to the ground. I bounced it on top of the hive body and, I "suspect" the queen was in there. I came back after two hours and there were a few flying like a normal hive with the rest inside.
    Is this the absolute most active swarm season?
    We need a poll???
    What do I do about getting honey? I imagine most of the swarms Ive gotten are from my own hives. I am thinking about combining swarms I've caught or adding the bees back to hives with supers. We are at peak flow and I have too many swarms I've hived and too many colonies without enough bees for a crop???
    Thanks
    Howard
    Last edited by challenger; 05-04-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: mobile version is poor

NC. Zip 28574. Caught a very large one that took 2, 10 F deeps to accommodate.
    Zip 28546. One swarm moved into one of my vacant traps, after scouting it really good for the last 3 days.
    Last edited by apis maximus; 05-10-2013 at 09:56 PM.

28716 - 5/19/2013
    First ever.

swarm 05/15/2013

got call last night 5/20/13

28611 close to hwy 181

5/28/2013 Raleigh, NC 27606
    swarm entered house between 1st/2nd floor joists. Cut out on 5/29
    Hughes Honey Apiary

5/29/2013 27526

came home to a swarm in a old deeps i had laying around. estimating basketball size. 1st time that has happened for myself.
    Hughes Honey Apiary

Lost half our bees from a 4/12 Nuc install on 5/21.........Still recovering

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast