Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: California

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

5/3/12 Stockton, CA - Picked up about a 6# swarm about 4' high in a bush, easy in, easy out. Called at about 11 AM. Partly cloudy, no wind.

5/5/12 Pleasanton, CA - Person called about a swarm in his tree but I couldnt make it to pick it up. Called at 2:30 PM. Sunny, warm, windy.
    Coyote Creek Bees

5/23/12 - About a 4-5# swarm in a pine tree 25' up. Noticed at 12:00 PM and temp was about 75 degrees. Livermore, CA, 94550
    Coyote Creek Bees

6/2/12 5:45pm swarm from hive in apiary clustered on my apricot tree about 12' up. This morning after working a 20 hr shift the night before, I climbed up on a ladder and cut them down and shook them into 2 8-Frame medium boxes. This was the 'real deal' as opposed to the 'rehearsal' cluster the other day[same tree]. They left later on 6/2 than they did on 6/1 and remained there until this morning when I sprang into action. I checked them when I got home at 3+am; I had received a call from my wife while working that a swarm event was occuring..... She's my 'bee mentor'/watcher!!

6/10/12 Swarm#2 in same apricot tree as Swarm#1 on 6/1/12[few posts up], hived quickly once spotted when we got back from lunch.

6/11/12 Swarm#3 again in apricot tree, waited until evening to hive this colony. I'd run out of frames, so had to run up to Mann Lake in Woodland, CA from some prefabbed supers, painted with frames. Did the run in just over 2 hrs. and had the cluster in the new boxes by 7pm.

I'm concerned about Swarm#1... See this post for further details.

6/11/12 - Got a call from a home owner about a rather large swarm that had moved into their hot tub. Went over to inspect and found about half the swarm on the outside and the rest of them inside the pump compartment. The owners said she got to watch the swarm land on the side of the tub and she promptly snapped a picture and showed me, its about a 7 pounder atleast! Will be removing them in about 40 minutes.

This year has been crazy for swarms!! I have two other established colonies to remove on Friday, one is in an irrigation box and the other is in a tractor tire, if everything goes right they should be just right to replace my laying worker hives I dumped out last week!! Will also be moving the hives this weekend to another yard in prep for star thistle!! Seen some plants starting to head out already!
    Coyote Creek Bees

7/11- Caught a small grapefruit sized swarm in my bee yard that is from my second year hive, marked queen and all!! I put them in a hive and added a couple drawn frames and a frame of brood from another colony and a frame of honey/pollen. See what happens!

Livermore, CA, 94550
    Coyote Creek Bees

Caught a volleyball sized swarm today in Livermore, CA. The swarm was actually seen on a cyclone fence gate near our job site yesterday and I figured they would be gone, but they were there again today so I decided to give them a home since I knew they wouldnt last long trying to build comb next to a side walk!! Its amazing how many people walked within three feet of it and it was about 5' off the ground and they never even seen it, including a co-worker who unloaded a piece of equipment right next to it and didnt see it either!!LOL Anyhow, they are a VERY light bee resembling sunkists and very mellow. Oh ya, spotted the queen and when I returned with the queen catcher she had disappeared into the mass!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Lost a small swarm out of one of my hives last night September 8, 2012. West Point Ca 95255. 3000'

Picked up a football sized swarm on a DC-3 at work (Long Beach, Ca) . Put them in a spare medium box with half a comb of honey and wished them luck. Sadly, I don't have a spare frame of brood to give them as my other hive seems mostly honey bound and slow to build fresh comb.

Dobbins website address used to always be listed in the #1 post. It appears to have disappeared with the last revision.
    Dan

First swarm call tonight in SoCal.

03/08/13 - Danville, CA 94506

Nice size, probably four pounds, seven feet up in a redwood tree. First of the year for me.

March 8, 2013, in Los Angeles, CA. It was big enough that I could hear them in the top of a big eucalyptus tree before I saw them. Probably from my hive too, unfortunately.

3/17/2003 94519
    Concord, CA
    Dan

3-2-13, 95231 (French Camp, CA) I got a call from CHP, they had a complete hive sitting on the side of the freeway, and officer moved it to the side of the freeway, but it was definately full of bees. I picked that up, the top and bottom boards were a complete loss. Just about every frame had damage to the top bars, so I am working those out of rotation. The hive body it's self will be repairable, and the bees themselves are doing great!

3-8-13, 95632 (Galt, CA) Swarm cap. Approx 4-5 lbs of bees covering the roof and drivers door of a truck. Some LGO, 10 frames, and a top board. Placed open bottom on top of them and watched move in the hive in a matter of 25 mins. I was able to recorded the whole thing on my phone's video recorder, even watched the queen move in, she was among the last to do so. Nice easy capture.

3-15-13 95258 (Woodbridge, CA) Swarm cap. Approx 7+ lbs of bees about 15ft feet up in the air in a pine tree and bridging the gap between 2 branches. Pain to take down due to height, but full hive of bees that seem to be doing well was worth it.

Happy hunting folks!

C2

3-19-13, 95632 (Galt, CA) My own backyard. I was getting ready for work and went to brush my teeth when I heard the familiar sound of lots of bees in the air. I looked out into my little bee yard to see a swarm swirling in my yard. Thought "shoot, one of my hives is swarming!" I walked out to my hives expecting to see them just pouring out of one of my hives. To my shock, they were moving into one of my empties instead. A most welcome sight to say the least since I didn't really have time to chase them down. So I went back inside and continued to get ready for work. I baited another hive and set it out before I left. I know that rain was in the forecast for today, but I would sure like to look in to the other hives to see if I missed something. That way I can try and see if it was even from my own hives.

C2

That is a self splitting hive!

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    That is a self splitting hive!
    Sun poked out for a little while here, so I took the opportunity to check the hive...found the queen, no brood or eggs. I inspected my other hives and they all had queens, larva and eggs, so it wasn't mine...it was a free-bee.

C2

First swarm call today, 3/29/13.........a Good Friday swarm!! It wasn't huge, probably a 3-4 pounder, but free bees non-the-less!! It was in Mountain House, CA..........near zip code 95377. It landed in an olive tree about 7' off the ground, had to do some major limb trimming to be able to get it out, snipped the branch it was on, set it in the swarm catching hive and they climbed all over the combs and began fanning. I left the hive on the ground for about 15 minutes while I shook a couple gloves full of bees off the branch where they originally were. I got them to the bee yard and put a frame of brood in to lock them down and will leave them alone for about a week before transferring them into a regular hive.

Swarm landed around 2 PM and it was a nice sunny 70+ degrees out.
    Coyote Creek Bees

April 1, 2013, USDA zone 10b. Lost a large swarm.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast