Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

9-30-11 got a call from the water department swarm in meter box

This year has been crazy. Our club president had a swarm on new years day! The weather has been warm here but now its finally going back to average temps for this time of year.
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

03/02/2012

Austin, Texas. A member reported to the Austin Urban Beekeepers group about a swarm that soon left from some bushes just outside of her house. They left before anyone could get there. :-( Temperature around 76 F and party cloudy.

2 swarms in north Austin, Texas.

I caught 2 swarms yesterday. I gave one away to our AUB group. The other died before I got them into a hive. It was a warm day which encouraged the first swarms of the season to kick-in. Then came the rain followed by a strong cold front. Temps dropped into the upper 30s from the mid-70s. The bees got wet and then chilled, big time. They didn't have a chance. The first swarm, that survived, didn't get rained on before I got them versus the other swarm that got rained on and then "cold front" chilled before I got them. Mother nature did the swarming bees yesterday, no favors by swarming with this weather coming in as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy'sBees View Post
    2 swarms in north Austin, Texas.

I caught 2 swarms yesterday. I gave one away to our AUB group. The other died before I got them into a hive. It was a warm day which encouraged the first swarms of the season to kick-in. Then came the rain followed by a strong cold front. Temps dropped into the upper 30s from the mid-70s. The bees got wet and then chilled, big time. They didn't have a chance. The first swarm, that survived, didn't get rained on before I got them versus the other swarm that got rained on and then "cold front" chilled before I got them. Mother nature did the swarming bees yesterday, no favors by swarming with this weather coming in as it did.
    CORRECTION: The swarm I thought I lost due to the sudden wet and then cold, made it !!!! I did lose about 1/3 of the bees however. I'll check and see if the queen made it in a few days. Anyway, I'm very happy they made it!

Zip 75959, Huntington, Texas. 3/15/2012 , 80 degrees, a little after noon.

One of mine swarmed 3/17. Northwest of Houston...

They like to land on a fence about 20 feet away from the hives. This year they landed on a fence board I had not nailed on so it was a simple matter to just pick up the board and bump them into a hive ...

23 Mar. 2012. Lavaca County, TX. Visiting with the local 96 1/2 year old Bee Man. 10:30 AM. Watched one of is hives swarm, and land in a nearby Cedar tree. Helped him box them. What a treat to be there to see and do that with a beloved mentor! I got to do all the "tanging"!

Summer

Just picked up my 2nd new hive today...owner spotted swarm on 21 or 22Mar2012 Aransas Pass TX 78336

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    Just picked up my 2nd brand-new hive today...owner spotted swarm on 21 or 22Mar2012 Aransas Pass TX 78336
    New swarm, same location; moved there on 27March2012 Aransas Pass TX 78336 (so that makes three in that zip already that I've picked up this year)

april 10 2012 zip 75961
    first swarm call of the year on a semi trailer
    then swarm call each following 2 day 2 call yesterday 04 11 12 called club member for last one

David

Picked up a nice swarm in a 6' tall landscaping tree right outside the front door of a construction company today. Location: Corpus Christi, TX 78415 USDA Zone 9A

robherc: is that mine? j/k I had a hive swarm yesterday but I'm 78418

UPDATE: Apparently while I was busy with the swarm I already listed, there were 2 swarms (one about that size, and the other almost twice as large...supposedly) that came to rest on the wall of a church about 10miles South of there. Unfortunately, by time I was called & got back down to Corpus, they'd both moved on.
    So that makes 3 swarms in one day for Corpus Christi...and that's just the ones I got called for!

Seadrift TX, 77983, went to the bee yard today & noticed some bees flying in a new direction while I was checking my open feeder...turns out a nice 5-6lb swarm had moved into one of my old, retired (though not yet destroyed) hives that the fire ants had wiped out the old colony in. Put some grease on the hive stand legs & re-adjusted the top bars so they'd be close enough together to discourage the bees continuing to build comb on the underside of the lid (I was NOT expecting any bees to move into this hive...had over 1/2 of the bars out/burned already. Not sure exactly when they moved in, but I checked the hive 4 days ago & it was empty...no I'll have to get them converted to the 19" bars of my new hives once they get a little open brood going.

one of our club members says that you can take a frame of open brood throw a rope over branch raise frame of open brood to swarm and they will slowly move on to frame than you can slowly lower

David

78953. A swarm moved into one of my traps at a friends place about 60 miles away. He is going to bring them to me tomorrow.

Small swarm 11/5/12, 76577

Pray tell me, where is the swarm data from this thread available?
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

first Swarm 03/12/13 of 2013 4-5 pounder on limb of black walnut 8 feet up zip 75961 Nacogdoches TX took several brushing bees into nuc box to get queen

David

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast