Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

10/09/2011 Port Orange Florida, 32128 zip
    Just got a call about a football sized swarm that settled underneath a picnic table. Looks like a real easy scoop.

And the race is on, Got the first swarm of the season Thursday close to the bay. The girls don’t know what to do with this weather. Looked at hive yesterday that has been in the carport for three years, it had over a hundred drones trying to get in.

Caught my first swarm of the year today. Jacksonville, Fl 32210

Walked out to the bee yard this morning to do a thorough check of my four hives. I turned off the electric fence, got my equipment together and donned my bee suit. While I was doing that, hive #1 started boiling out bees. There was nothing to do but watch my bees leave home without even a goodbye!

beecuz

"...for breath is sweeter taken even as the last in places dear...with gardens, fields and dogwood trees...in forest stands of bamboo shoots, of ginger root and honey bees...."

I have gotten real lucky. I caught a huge swarm on Thursday 3/22. I took pictures with my cell, but I don't know how to post them. It filled a full hive body and a super. I went by the next day and had to put another super on top to prevent the bees from hanging outside so much. On Saturday 3/24 I caught my second swarm of the season--it was small, filling most of a nuc. Now yesterday I caught a third swarm, possibly as big as the first. This swarm box was less than a 100 yards from the first swarm box which caught the first monster swarm. I will go back today to see if I need to add any more boxes. This is only the second year that I have tried catching bees with swarm boxes, and in less than a week I have 3, two being monsters. Oh Happy Day!! These are coming off of commercial beekeepers with hives near orange groves in Florida 33876.

Had another swarm from my bee yard today. I was making a split on another hive when the swarm took off into a neighboring tree. I had swarm traps everywhere with lemon grass oil, but could not compete with the surrounding woods - nothing like an old tree hole I guess. Temp was in high 80's - partly cloudy but mostly sunny.
    Last edited by beecuz; 04-03-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Add temperature

I caught my first swarm this season in North Florida on March 28. Caught three more since about a week apart. Weather was warm and sunny on all occasions.

psisk

Hi all
    My hive swarmed last Saturday 5/12 in Pensacola fl. Very upsetting but don't think as many left as is usual. Then we cut out about 11 swarm cells. The next day we heard piping! Very interesting experience.

Had another swarm in Florida yesterday May 27th. Mine should be quit swarming by now.

psisk

Swarm call last night...Swarm retrieved today in Aventura/Miami FL

Caught 3 swarms Friday, 4 Saturday, 2 yesterday, and 1 today.
    Gary

I captured my first swarm today 11/8/2013 here in "Hilliard" North Florida 32046. Small softball sized swarm. Very windy day and in the 60s.

my hive just swarmed. a football sized swarm in the neighbors tree. i happened to be standing outside at just the right time. 2-22-2014
    zone 10b air temp currently 82 at 11.23 am

http://youtu.be/egr18zE1heU

gene
    Last edited by Genemiller; 02-22-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Jacksonville,Fl 32221 about the size of two softballs, it had just started raining, hopefully I got the queen. I got 95% of them in the box.

A swarm set up housekeeping today in our swarm box in West Palm Beach. Temp near 80 degrees. It's a first for us. Yay!

OK, Barry, I got it.

3/2/14 Swarm 1--West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406 just before dusk, 80 degrees, partly cloudy
    3/14/14 Swarm 2--West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406 early morning, 70 degrees, sunny
    3/15/14 Swarm 3--West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406 noon, 69 degrees, sunny

All tiny dark bees, not from my hives. All in bait boxes. #1 & 2 on top of screened porch. #3 in tree. All 9-10 feet high, all facing south.
    Last edited by CessnaGirl; 03-21-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

3/27/14 Swarm #4 caught. West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406, cloudy, 69 degrees, morning, box 9 feet up on screened porch facing south.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

New to forum, caught my first swarm 3/18.

5/22/14 #5 Swarm West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406, 11:00 am skies clear and totally cloudless, wind 2-3 mph, temp 84. Volleyball sized swarm into nuc sized swarm trap baited with LGO, 4 foudationless frames, and 1 frame drawn comb. Swarm chose box 9f eet up in tree facing south over box 9 feet up on screened porch facing south. Watched the whole choosing process. Very fun and interesting.

5/25/14 #6 Swarm West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406 trap facing south 8' on top of screened porch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast