Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Collected a cantelope size swarm on 8/7/09 in Beaumont, Texas. They had built wildcomb about the size of an egg, so they might have been there a couple of days. I know they had been there 24 hours from when I picked them up.

A grapefruit-sized swarm was hanging off the back of one of my hives yesterday. This is second such swarm in just over a month.

4/12

Got call from another beek about a cutout near me. Called owner. Was a swarm. Went to pick it up and it was gone. Said it was there when I talked with owner earlier.

Said it had been there for 2 days. Can't have what you can't get.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Got another swarm call on 4/15..........from another beek not too far from me. He is just going into his second year, 79, and his health is not too good.

Anyway, went to help him and the bees had just left. Said he hadn't seen the swarm the day before but I believe they had been there for some time. How likely is it that the bees swarmed and then found a home and left the tree in just hours?

Sad thing is that the hive that swarmed was left with a lot of bees, brood comb (some with honey and pollen) but no queen, eggs, larva or capped brood.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Default Knoxville, TN 2-fer

Got a call for a cutout yesterday, showed up to assess the situation today and there is a swarm 25' off the ground but directly over the roof ridge and only 8-10' above that in addition to the soffit-hive. Medium-sized swarm, wasn't prepared to collect and it's going to rain all night so if they are still there in the morning I'll get them at that time.

Default 4-25-2010

They were still there, but I mis-judged how far above the roof ridge they were... had to get an extension for my bee-vac to reach them. Here's the pics...

That's all I took because the job was very difficult as it was without stopping to take more pics.

Chattanooga, TN 20' in oak tree. First swarm call this year. Got another call on the way to this one. Volleyball in size.

Mark

Got a call tonight from a lady in Auburn Town, TN. Has a swarm about 10' up in a tree. Bees swarmed out of a tree hive this afternoon. She wants the bees and wants to be a beek. Got to be at a house around 7:45 in the morning for a tree crew that is cutting down a huge tree that has a bee hive in the main trunk. May be a huge hive.

Anyway, going to get this swarm for the lady in the early morning around 6:30. Charging her $93. $40 to come out and get the swarm (22 miles away) and $53 for a 5 frame nuc with 4 frames of foundation and 1 frame of old comb. Think that's fair enough. Swarm is about 10' up. Home is an easy drive. Nuc is one I built from the instructions that were put up on this forum a month or so ago using plywood. Plywood is cabinent grade that was given to me so all I have in the nuc is labor, glue, nails, primer, and paint.
    De Colores,
    Ken

March 10, 2013
    Southern GA

Came down from NY to make early splits and found a 4 pound swarm 15 feet up on a tree branch. Used a 10 foot length of pipe and a cardboard box taped to the pipe to retrieve the swarm. My first of the year, and hopefully not the last.

Just caught a 2nd swarm in the same tree as the first, and it was the same size. We werent expecting them to be swarming this soon.

Default Tennessee

Chattanooga Tennessee 37379
    Just had my first hive swarm on me today. Bummer. Got to watch it happen though.....cool...but still a bummer.

Hartsville TN, today 04-27-15😊. About 7 ft of the ground on small oak tree, bent it over and shook them in a Nuc box

4-29-15 I caught my first swarm.Tennessee

4-30-15 first swarm in Knoxville, TN

about a five pounder in a bush about a foot off the ground.

Football sized, virgin queen, 4pm, sunny, 70 degrees in middle tennesse.

Sunny Dixon Springs, TN, about 75 degrees, 25 feet up in a maple tree. The owner has a big farm and she listed me up on a tow motor. She had seen then fly in and cluster. No known close beekeepers.

Hornbeak,Tn. 38232. May 1, 2015. About a 2-3 lb swarm. Caught in a 15" double fiber pot hanging in a tree 15' up on rope. Used lgo and melted old dark comb inside. A friend from church just starting out this year got them the day they moved in. He really liked getting his first (easy) catch using my trap I hung behind our fellowship building.

3:10pm, sunny, Hartsville,TN, witnessed the swarm emerge from the hive, settled about 30ft away about 6 inches off the ground in a bush. Sat a hive near and and they marched in.

5lb'er, 3pm in Hartsville, TN, mothers day. Had three queens in it.

Hartsville tn, 10am 5/17/15, 30 ft up into a tree and couldn't be lured down. Bypassed a pulp trap and a deep brood box, left about 5pm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast