Thread: New Hampshire

Default New Hampshire

At around 10 am this morning one of my hives swarmed. They flew up into a tree around 40 feet up. I couldn't climb up and didn't have a long enough ladder. July 6, 2008.

small swarm into a Hemlock tree. 1st year hive that had superseded queen
    Aug 21, 2008 03467
    Last edited by Eyeshooter; 08-31-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: more info
    8 yrs,TF 6 yrs, small cell, moved to OAV in 2014. Was 20+ hives, now 2 due to injury
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

5/15/06 03773
    10 AM - 2 football sized swarms from one hive 15 & 20 feet up in a pine tree.
    I put them in 2 separate boxes.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Sunday, May 30, 2010 - Milton NH ... Discovered that our hive (the only one of two Russian nucs purchased spring of 2009 that survived the winter) had a swarm in a small tree above the hive today.) Upper 70's to mid 80's. Somewhat windy, but sheltered at the hives. Not overly humid. The quantity of bees would have fit in a gallon bucket. We think we got the queen and a lot of the swarm in another hive, but difficulties with vines in the tree caused us to drop a lot of bees on the ground. Will try to post pics once downloaded.

Overwintered nuc was hived in May. Swarmed June 28. Landed 40' up in a spindley tree and flew off 28 hours later into the woods. Location is Keene,NH
    8 yrs,TF 6 yrs, small cell, moved to OAV in 2014. Was 20+ hives, now 2 due to injury
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

July 1st about 10:00AM. Sullivan, NH
    5 pound swarm from a 2nd year Jennifer Berry queen. Swarm went about 50' west onto a low hanging pine branch. I happened to be coming out to split the hive. My wife found the swarm, I cut off the branch and re-hived it into the hive I was going to use for the split. Very gentle as one would expect.
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

03254 6/30/12

Looked out the window a few minutes ago and there it was, the annual swarm that winds up on the same branch of the same birch tree, about thirty five feet from the ground. No sense trying risking my neck to try to capture it. Weather: Sunny, low pressure, windy. About 76 degrees. July 9th. 12:30 pm.

03226 - (Center Harbor, NH) First swarm of the season mid-day today, regrettably outbound. They laughed at my lemon-scented swarm traps as they headed for the hills.

My hive swarmed yesterday.

6/9/14, Russians, southeastern (seacoast) New Hampshire.
    Nice day. First they went way high up in a nearby pine tree, then after 3 hrs. they clouded up and went on their merry way.

For every frowning beekeeper who just lost a swarm, there's a smiling one who just gained one. (hopefully)

Default New Hampshire

Derry NH 03038 06-22-2015. Not mine but nice swarm downtown.

June 27
    Seacoast, NH
    Swarm from my own split Russian hive. Late afternoon, nice day, but it was windy, rainy and cold the next day. They ended up staying there until the morning of the 4th day. About 40' up.

P1010009.jpg

Second hive swarm of the season today. Saw them about an hour ago swirl in mass commotion around the apiary and then end up about 40' up into the pine tree next to it. I really need to get shorter trees.

8/28 I checked a 10 frame 2 deep hive and found 10 capped queen cells. I thought I was doing a good job keeping an eye on their progress, and had been working on a schedule of every 7 - 10 days.
    This hive definitely looks like they have swarmed. Now I'm hoping we continue to have warm weather for awhile, as I try to decide what to do with what remains of the hive.
    Any suggestion ?

Default New Hampshire

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry