Page 86 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Got a call yesterday Sunday July 1 for Dubois, PA that a swarm was on a window. I was busy and told the people I couldn't come, but would come this morning. When I called them this morning, they said the swarm had moved inside a hole in their brick house.

Of course, they were also telling me that they have a had a colony living in another hole for a while, and last week the owner put Sevin dust in the hole and killed them. I have to wonder if this swarm smelled the scent of honey and comb, flew there to move in and determined the hole had been poisoned and ending up finding a new place to set up shop.

We had two more swarms on Saturday. So we started with two second year hives, and 4 Packages in the spring and we have caught 13 swarms so far. 2 have combined so we are up to 18 hives. All the hives have plenty of growing room, so I don't know why they keep swarming, but I am starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong. We are also in the process of a trap out from a tree down the street which at first we thought it may have been a recent swarm, but upon closer inspection it seems they had been there for years with out the home owners knowing about. Now that they know the bees are their, they are afraid and want them gone.

caught a swarm today 2 July 2012 this is my first swarm Eatonville Washington

June 9th, picked up a swarm. June 11th they had built comb. Now they have filled the nuc. three frames of brood.

03254 6/30/12

Steve what size box is that? 5, 6, 7 frame?

Hey delber, you know i don't even remember. lol I think there's 6 top bars in this box at 1 3/8".
    There's three ways to do everything...the wrong way, the right way, a better way.

Another swarm on the 6th of July. This must be a hot spot as this is the third swarm this year within about 20' of each other all with different placements.http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/...t%3Dimage9.jpg
    There's three ways to do everything...the wrong way, the right way, a better way.

Very nice, great job for your first year. Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fhlowrimore View Post
    Very nice, great job for your first year. Henry
    Hey Henry, did you notice that's your nuc box you let me borrow? If they stay in it I'm thinking about bringing them back to you to return the favor. Thanks again. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Steve what size box is that? 5, 6, 7 frame?
    delber, I looked in today at the swarm and there are 8 topbars.

Saturday, July 7th, 12:05 PM, a small swarm, approaching from the N.E., landed in a stack of supers(with comb) in the drive way that we had painted. There was some indecision as to which stack was best, and as of night fall, the vote was not unanimous.

Roland Diehnelt
    Menomonee Falls. Wis. 53051

Quote Originally Posted by stevedc View Post
    delber, I looked in today at the swarm and there are 8 topbars.
    Thanks for the update!!! I was thinking that my 5 framers were too small. It seems that a 10 frame deep is a bit too large, so I put some 6 frames out but haven't cought anything in them yet.

My wife collected her first - about five lbs - in The Dalles Oregon tonight!

Looked out the window a few minutes ago and there it was, the annual swarm that winds up on the same branch of the same birch tree, about thirty five feet from the ground. No sense trying risking my neck to try to capture it. Weather: Sunny, low pressure, windy. About 76 degrees. July 9th. 12:30 pm.

delber, did you look at my latest picture? It's a 5 frame nuc.http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1341680512

5lb swarm in my empty top bar hive on Saturday July 7. Rentz, Laurens County, Ga 31075

Got my first swam call ever on 7/9. Palermo, Maine, warm (80 degrees) and sunny.

Very tiny swarm, probably an after swarm. About the size of a tennis ball, but I did get a new queen out of it. Added a couple of frames of bees to them and started a nuc. We will see how it does. Very easy swam to get. They were on a fence post about 4 feet off the ground.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

7/11- Caught a small grapefruit sized swarm in my bee yard that is from my second year hive, marked queen and all!! I put them in a hive and added a couple drawn frames and a frame of brood from another colony and a frame of honey/pollen. See what happens!

Livermore, CA, 94550
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 86 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast