Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

NW Ohio...caught one Friday, which was a nice warm day. The swarm was so low I almost didn't see it. I was actually hunting mushrooms and happened to see it hanging on a dead branch about 8" above the ground.

My first swarm call in 2012 was April 19th

East Canton, OH 44730, 04/27/12
    My first swarm ever! Approximately 3 lb. on a tree stump. Swarm had been there for about 24 hours. Day time temperatures were in the mid to upper 50s, night temps down to upper 30s. Light to moderate drizzle most of the day, but stopped by the time I collected the swarm in the evening. A lot of the bees were under rotten bark, which I peeled off pretty easily. Did not see queen, but once I had scraped about 1/2 of them into the box, most of the others followed. Photos here:s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u400/ebruckner1/Swarms/East%20Canton%20Swarm/?albumview=slideshow
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

caught another swarm 4/29/2012 told they had been there since friday 4/27/2012 about 3.5-4.5 pounds sunny 70

The Safety Dept called this afternoon and reported a swarm in the plant. Last year I was told it was too dangerous... today they just wanted them gone They said' "Just don't get stung... we don't want to fill out a report". Got a volley ball sized swarm from the bottom of a scaffold. The girls are headed to a good home with a new beek from the front office. Canton, Ohio 44706
    Seth

#4 swarm today on the side of a house going in a hole smoked them real hard and caught the queen. temp 83 and sunny

South Central Ohio, 43160, I got two calls Mohday, my first of the year, then one today. Captured 2 swarms in the last two days. Turned one down that was 17-18 miles south. I am hearing that the swarms around here are more numerous this year than anyone can remember.

North East Ohio
    May 1st 2012
    Cloudy with chance of rain
    Earliest swarm I have ever seen here in our area. This was a small swarm. Boxed up and doing well. I am feeding them and will check for eggs next week.

Northeast Ohio I had two nice swarms today and 3 earlier in the week

5/5/2012 East Liverpool,OH
    Beautiful hot humid day. Small 2# swarm high in a tree over a house. Retrieved from atop the roof using a swarm bucket on an 18" extension pole. It worked great.
    Joe and Heidi S.

Got an email last night that a lady has a swarm in a tree about 15 feet up in a tree. She emailed me around 4PM that a swarm had moved into the tree. I was not home until late and got the email after 1PM. Going out this morning to see what I can do. I have a bait hive available to hopefully get them to move in on their own. I also have a small step ladder and I made one of those swarm removal tool that might work if they are clustered on a branch. However, it sounds like they are clustered in a V on the tree.

The bad news is that it rained a little last night and it is going to storm today. I still have about 45 minutes until I am able to head out and check on them. All the while, the sky is cloudy and grey along with strong windds. I hope I am not going to be too late.

Cloudy, with a very good chance of rain. 56°F with up to 26MPH winds. Yesterday was in the upper 60's sunny and calm winds.

Update: Was able to get 1/2 the swarm into a box. The swarm was actually 25 feet or so up in the tree. Left the box in hopes that the bees would all move into the box. Contacted the landowner after work to see if they had moved into the box. Said they all went right back into the tree and around 4PM the swarm took off. Said there was a few bees around my box, but she does not think the swarm moved in. Oh, well. Should have checked my mail sooner and I could have done this yesterday.
    Last edited by FindlayBee; 05-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.

3-4# Swarm on a swarm trap in Akron, Ohio 44333. Swarm came right before a thunderstorm. Moved them to Canton Saturday night and installed them in a hive Sunday.

One of my hives issued two swarms on May 5 2012, these were the first of this year

I have hived four swarms so far this past two weeks. Found the queen in two so far. One swarm was last evening another just got off the truck tonight.

Findlay, Ohio 5-18-2012.

Got a call while I was at work about a swarm in a tree. Before I could get there the swarm had moved two houses down and entered a crack in the siding of the house. Was not able to get anyone to answer the door at the house. Left my name and number.

Sunny, 78°F.
    Nick Hubbell
    www.findlaybee.com

caught another 1 today on a golf course about 3-3.5 pounds saw queen apeared to be virgin very small 85 and sunny

Picked up a swarm today in Lima, Ohio. 5-25-2012.

It was located in a propane tank storage area. About 5 feet off the ground clustered inside the screening. About 90°F. A bit overcast. Got the call around 6:45PM. Located at a factory in Lima, Ohio. Had to get permission from the job supervisor before I could go get them. Arrived just a bit after 8:00PM. Got most of the bees brushed in within the first minute. About an hour later, the rest of the bees had finally gone into my box. Only a few bees remained behind. Due to most of the bees entering the box on their own, I am fairly certain I got the queen.

I am happy I got the call and said I would go get them. Next person on the list was pest control.
    Last edited by FindlayBee; 05-25-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Nick Hubbell
    www.findlaybee.com

June 7, and June 9 are my lattest swarms.
    The last swarm was at a Putt Putt Course that had to be closed due to the swarm. They already had built a comb in the nuc box when I checked it on Monday June 11th I have a picture but it did not load.

June 9th swarm collected at a Mini Golf Course. June 11 inspected nuc it is in, found queen and comb built on lid.

http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/...combKing-1.jpg

June 9th, picked up a swarm. June 11th they had built comb. Now they have filled the nuc. three frames of brood.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast