Page 55 of 118 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2341

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

One of my hives swarmed today. Jacksonville, NC 28546. Called fellow beekeeper who came and got it.

Got a call for another swarm on the same limb in the same tree that I captured a swarm on Monday night.

Small swarm, about the size of a large softball.
    De Colores,
    Ken

probably one of mine. Swarm was in the bee yard.
    Dan

One of my nucs I started last july and one of my uncle's hives swarmed yesterday. Manchester, Kentucky 40962

Yesterday, 4/6/2011 a large swarm came through the back pasture and landed on the lone almond tree I have there. Needless to say, I caught it, seems OK today. Zip 93230

Two last week, 4/3 and 4/6 (one mine) 23456, (virginia beach Va)
    I'm like the weatherman- right about half of the time.

75645 4-08-11 Cell Builder Swarmed.
    At our club meeting last night we had about 45 swarms reported since the last meeting.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

37129 Murfreesboro, TN
    Caught a swarm in a bait hive yesterday, 4/7. Don't know how big it is, but the box looks full. I'll transfer them tomorrow.

Nacogdoches TEXAS

april 7 , 8

swarm each day one on christmas tree at christmas tree farm next on fence post it was 2 miles from my house so could be one of mine

Dave

2 Swarms today this morning 10am ish Apr 8 2011

Both swarms min of 4 Lbs each, cut out of tree limbs within 500 ft of hive's.
    Both on "Honey Super Cell" and Pierco full drawn out comb with a little honey left in it.
    checked on them this afternoon and they both were Orientating in front

Steve
    Steve C.

El Dorado school in Stockton, CA 95206 4-7-11.
    Got a call from a teacher at the school and as i was asking questions he asked "how much will this cost?" I told him I was not going to charge anything. He was like great! Then he ran in to red tape, principle concerned about different things such as "what if this guy gets injuried while on grounds" Of which he called the Superintendent's office. I also called the Super's office to try and speed up the process since I was on a deadline to go to my regualr job. When the Super called me back, he told me "the bees flew off already, but he wanted to hang on to my card for when more arrive, they get them every year and have been looking for a keeper for years. Told him no prob, call me anytime.
    Well, I got a call from the teacher yesterday telling me that they (the school) sprayed them, they were all dead when he went out before before lunch that same day. He is going to try and get the news paper involved and wanted to know if he could give the paper my number if they pick up the article.

Watched one of my double decker nucs swarm today. After flying around a while they all returned to the hive.
    Found the queen on the ground in front of the nuc, with a small cluster.
    Dan

April 2, 2011: Captured first swarm of the year. In Canyon, TX. Could see that bees were coming and going from a nearby bird house, and that the woodduck-sized hole was nearly sealed up from wax.

The swarm was 20 high and basketball sized. In Siberian elm. The resident sawed the limb and the bees came slamming to the ground. I placed the cardboard box nuc, there, and they filed in.
    Canyon, Texas (Near Amarillo in the Panhandle).
    Follow my tweets on Twitter.com @BirdsandBeesMan

Swarms 3 & 4 (All since Monday):

4/8: Got call near dark about a swarm. Hived it that night in a nuc. Really not sure how large the swarm was but I doubt it was over 2 pounds. Brought it home 4/9 AM.

4/9: Got call around 6:30PM about a large swarm 38 miles away. Was dark by the time most of the bees were in the hive. Left hive there to get the rest of the bees that were around the box or on the ground below where the swarm was located on a bush. Swarm could have been 7 pounds or more. There were a lot of bees. Will go back tomorrow after church, seal off entrance and bring back the hived swarm.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Near Tours in France. Had first swarm at 4 pm today. We no sooner got it and hived it when another swarm issued from a second hive. I've just finished hiving that after mega trouble and their constantly going higher into a hedge of brambles and hawthorn. (You can go off bees sometimes!) The second swarm was one of the largest I've ever caught, which leads me to my question.
    Last Wednesday I decided to reduce the number of stocks we had as we had seven and only wanted three or four. We united several of them using the newspaper method.
    When we went through them on Wednesday (not all of them) there was a lot of sealed brood, relatively few eggs and open brood, and no sign of queen cells in the stocks we examined.
    As I normally unite stocks later in the season, could it be that uniting them (I didn't destroy either queen) has simply forced them into swarming with one of the queens? I'd assumed the queens would simply fight it out and only one remain.
    These are second generation Carniolans (x with French mongrel blacks) and very swarmy most seasons, but super prolific and good at wintering.

4/10: Brought home swarm (#4) from Spring Hill, TN. Got almost all of the bees. Screened off the entrance and then sprayed SW/HBH on entrance and bees at entrance. Waited a little while and then sprayed again as there were a lot more bees at entrance. Covered hive with sheet underneath hive which captured almost all of the bees. Brought hive home.

4/10: Swarm #5. On the way back from Spring Hill got a call for a large swarm in Nashville. Took hive home, released the bees, repacked with new equipment and sheet and headed out. Bees left just before I got there. We found them across the street in a dogwood tree. At least 5 to 7 pounds. Sheet, hive, SS/HBH, and shake. After a few more shakes and scoops put on IC. Later OC. After OC wasn't long before most bees were hived. Sealed entrance, SW/HBH, wrapped with sheet, cinched up hive, put in truck and took to a farm. No worse for the wear.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Got two calls from Spartanburg, SC yesterday both were gone before I returned the calls.

Swarm with about 4 lbs of bees today on a cedar (they almost always are in cedars around here). Varina, Virginia 23231

Western NC My largest hive swarmed april 10. 11 days ago there were NO queen cells. I was supposed to go through them after I ran an errand. husband called while I was out and told me they were swarming.

12 ft up in a norway spruce with wild rose brambles throughout. thanks, girls.
    I learned to climb a ladder with a chainsaw in a bee suit.

They were about 2.5 basketballs worth. I only had a top bar hive around, so that is where they are.

NOW I understand the difference between swarm cells and seeing queen cells. They did have a weird pattern of laying going on and didn't know what that meant.

8 April 2001 - Decatur, Alabama. I arrived just in time to see them leave.

10 April 2001 - Harvest, Alabama. Caught my own swarm. Now I have another colony.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

Page 55 of 118 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast