Page 54 of 118 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2341

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Bout time I get to post in here, I've been jonesing for a hit!

Acampo, Ca (95220) 12:30, a beauty, currently in hive.
    Galt (95632) yes, my hive finally popped at 1:00 and are camped out in a hive on my front porch.
    Woodbridge (95258) at 1:25, this resulted in a trap out as they took up residence by the time I got there.

2 in the box and now a scheduled job.
    I'll call that a nice start.

very large swarm in neighbors front yard.
    Dan

caught a #7 swarm in concord,nc 28025?

se oklahoma, one on march the 22. we removed it 2 days later. one march 24, about 45 miles west. it swarmed to a water meter. one today april the 1st. we actually got it off the fencepost before it hived. much easier.

Stockton, Ca 95210

MEANEST swarm I have ever dealt with! All I did was shake the branch to knock them in the box, I didn't drop them, but they were mad!

C2

First swarm here today. Conway, SC.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

First swarm here today also... Gaffney,SC 29340

First year bkeeper, was working in my shop today saturday april 2,2011 at 1135 in the morning in dresden, tn look out the front door a saw my first swarm of the year about 25 feet from me in a apple tree 3 feet off the ground. got my home made bvac, it work great,put them in a brood box with some sugar water 1to1 with hbh,there doing great. i beleive they came from one of my two hive

I had 2 swarm from my hives in northeast Ga. I found one large swarm in wild cherry tree 20 feet from swarm trap. I was able to capture and box them before they used the trap. They were checking it out heavily. After another 2 hrs of working in bee yard,made 2 splits and pinched 1 poor queen. As i was leaving i looked at swarm trap and saw several hundred bees flying around. I thought they were from the previous swarm . I continued to watch and sure enough another swarm had moved into the trap. I worked in 2 hives and found 10 to 20 queen cells. I have five more to work today. The season is going strong here.

Three swarms yesterday. Two medium and one large ( includes one in my own crepe myrtle ).

Brent
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

the swarm I caught friday swarmed again 4-3-11. caught them again

Got two swarms on april 2nd. One was really big!!!! Weather was clear around 82 and midday. Zipe code: 39701
    Last edited by MSbeekeeper; 04-04-2011 at 09:14 AM.

April 03, Verona NC, zip 28540...beautiful sunny day, 68-70 F.Medium size swarm, started swarming as we watched the hive, talking about bees......buzzing and creating a cloud of bees, they've got up into an old maple tree around some mistletoe, aprox 25 feet up...tough to get to. The owner got to it with a bucket/pole combo, and was able to shake maybe a quarter of the bees. Too many branhes in the way...Placed them in a nuc with a few drawn frames, and as we watched, in less than 20 minutes the rest of the bees started to fly from up the maple tree into the nuc box...Amazing stuff

First 2 Swarms Today

1 in Varina, Virginia (23231)
    1 in the West End of Richmond, Virginia (23238)

Swarm on Saturday, April 2, 2011, probably from my hive #1 near Lamont, FL. I saw it clustered in the tree above my bee yard.

Then, on Sunday, April 3, 2011, the swarm cluster was gone, but I saw another swarm cluster on the same tree but on the other side and on a higher branch...unless it was the same swarm that just moved from one spot to the other. If it was indeed a second swarm, it probably came from my hive #2 which is the second strongest. Both Saturday and Sunday were warm sunny days following a dreary week of rain.

beecuz

Reminder Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Found a 5th swarm, this afternoon, from my original 3 boxes. So far from 3 hives, I've got 2 splits and 5 swarms and 3 nucs from queen cells. Did a spit about a month ago by placing one of the two supers (from one hive) in the opposite direction (and ensuring it had a queen cell. Should have put the queen in that box...they say.) Anyways, I found the new queen in the split today.

Placed today's swarm on top of a hive that has become weak by placing paper, from foundation inserts, between the hive and new swarm. Now I will watch and see.

I think it's time for the bees to start making honey and not queens!

Got my first swarm call of the season yesterday late afternoon. We were still in the midst of that bad storm that had been raging since early afternoon. Swarm was in a magnolia tree about 6' up per the owner. They had a huge tree down from the storm. Took me forever to get there because most of the traffic lights were not working. By the time I got there it was dark, still raining and cold.

Wonder why people always say something is about 6' feet off the ground. Guess it's just a nice round number. This swarm was every bit of 10' off the ground and huge. Hard to judge in the dark and raining and this swarm was really hunkered down tight.

They started to fall to the ground in clumps and go "plump" when they hit the ground. Put the nuc out hoping they would go in. Finally got a bucket and got the rest of them on 2 tries dumping them in the nuc. Actually it was a 5-frame high nuc with a 2nd 5-frame with only 3 frames in it.

Could easily have been 7 or more pounds of bees. Put on gloves and started scooping up the bees that were still on the wet ground and dumping them into the top. Strapped the 2 boxes down tight, covered with a sheet and magnolia leaves and left it there for the night.

Went back this AM and all was well. Plenty of bees in the nuc and probably a 1000 or so dead on the ground from the rain and cold. Brought it home and set it up. By this afternoon they were really flying around and getting orientated.

That was 2 80 mile round trips. At 15 mpg that was expensive but still a lot cheaper than purchasing a nuc or package.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Mid-sized swarm today, 4/5 - Varina, Virginia 23231

Got a swarm Tuesday, April 5 in Hacienda Heights, California, 91745.

It seems to be a good size swarm and is gathering lots of pollen and nectar. It moved into a Nuck that that I have been using as a swarm trap in the back yard. it sits behind my shed on a shelf about 5 feet off the ground. There was old comb in the box.

Default First Swarm of the Season 4-3-2011 Sparta, TN 38583

I was looking out the front window....had a med/full dead out sitting on a pallet in view...watched the swarm come across the pasture and into the box they went. I went through the 17 hives near the west pasture...one box with a poor pattern and new queen cells... the swarm didn't come from my hives...and too far from my next closest yard... :-)

Page 54 of 118 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast