Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia

Default Georgia

The first one was on March 11 which is about 2 weeks earlier than normal and still getting calls. Zip 31216.

I have a small (1 - 1.5 lbs) swarm hanging 14 feet up a tree in my beeyard right now. I put out a swarm trap with lemon grass oil. If they move in, I'll combine with a nucleus I've been nursing along this summer. This has been a strange year.

9/12/2007 30161 Rome, GA
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

Default See my first swarm

Got to see one of my hives swarm today - it was very cool, but they lit on a tree too high to get to, so, I lost them, so it was disappointing too
    "it's not having what you want . . . it's wanting what you've got"

New to site and beekeeping caught my first swarm on 7/18/08 in a birdhouse my front yard. I have moved them to a box i think it well workout better.

Default Georgia

I caught a swarm on10-24-08 here the other day here in SE. GA.it has not gotten too cold here yet in the 70s 80s.

I was hanging out with FATBEEMAN (1/23/09) today in Lula,Ga. and we hived a small swarm on the side of his workshop. It was a clear 65 degree winter day. I got a stinger to the inside of my right nostril

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Checked 4 swarm traps put out 8 days ago. Three had swarms.

Caught a large swarm from my hives today. They went 25 yards away and stopped 3 foot high in a leyland cypress. I shook them in to 2 medium deep hive and it was full of bees.

4/22/2010

Two of my overwintered hives appear to have swarmed 20 days ago, but I picked up a swarm 4/22/10 and got another call which I gave to my beekeeping buddy 4/23/10. zip code 30534.
    Dawsonville Ga

4/26/10
    Monroe Ga.

Rookie mistake turns a 10 minute job into a 3 hour ordeal. Nice soccer ball sized swarm in the middle of a thin branch about 10' off the ground. I decide to snip the branch down to size. Box was not under swarm and they hit the ground and dispersed. had to wait for them to gather back up, shook them into box. Live and learn.
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Caught a swarm yesterday in Rydal, Ga. (NW GA) Pretty cool... shook them down and they marched right into my lang deep. Wish I had video of it!

Default 5/14 at 5pm Bethlehem Georgia

went this afternoon to put more supers on an behold a swarm in the tree 6 feet off the ground easy pickins.

caught another swarm on 5/16 then caught 2 more nice swarms on the 19th that makes 5 swarms and 3 cutouts this season thus far

5/22/10
    30052 Loganville Ga.
    My cell finisher swarmed
    They clustered about 40' in a pine tree then seemed to return to the hive after about 30 minutes. I opened hive and found a Q cell on a frame (not on my graft bar) took that frame and made a split

5/23/10
    30642 Greensboro Ga.
    Caught a swarm in a swarm trap placed in deerstand
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

July 5th Swarm I Did a cut out at a home in April and all went well. Yesterday the home owner called and said the bees are back and so I went and sure enough there was the largest swarm to date clustered in the same corner as my previous cut out. fortunately they could not get in due to no holes. I swept the bees onto frames and placed into the box and saw the Queen on one of them,I left a small cluster on the house and the bees in the air thinking at dark they would all go in the box.unfortunately a double fistfull were still on the house ill have to go back today and finish the job.

3/14/11 I help catch a wild swarm at noon in town ,then got home and was working bees looked up in tree about 12 feet high there was a nice big swarm. Got them down and in a box with feed. my zip code is 30455 in Ga. near Statesboro,Ga

17 March. I saw them staging on a bush abt 15 feet from the hive at abt noon. By the time I could get equipped to rebox them, later that afternoon, they were gone. Temp was mid 70s, sunny. Location is 31639, south Georgia.

I had 2 swarm from my hives in northeast Ga. I found one large swarm in wild cherry tree 20 feet from swarm trap. I was able to capture and box them before they used the trap. They were checking it out heavily. After another 2 hrs of working in bee yard,made 2 splits and pinched 1 poor queen. As i was leaving i looked at swarm trap and saw several hundred bees flying around. I thought they were from the previous swarm . I continued to watch and sure enough another swarm had moved into the trap. I worked in 2 hives and found 10 to 20 queen cells. I have five more to work today. The season is going strong here.

Default Auburn Georgia

It must be swarm day here in NE Georgia This morning I had a call on a swarm in Winder after wich I went to my bee yard by the house and had a small swarm of my own. Then I delivered an observation hive I built to another beekeeper and while pointing out a large swarm in her backyard another swarm came out of another one of her hives. After dealing with those I went to my Bethlehem yard and you know it another swarm. Ok it keeps going now its 4pm and i get a call on another swarm by the time I got there they were gone. So back to the house and while supper is cooking I go the the yard by my house to check on the earlier swarm i caught. and there was another small one out of one of my nucs. I need to build more equipment

I had a swarm from my hive on 10 APR. Central Georgia, and the weather was very warm for that time of year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast