Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

May 2, I captured my first swarm this season although it is the fourth swarm I've seen. The wind was whipping heavily from the South and they landed in a hedge row. It took a while to get them all in a hive but they seem to settle down. I am in Piedmont, Al 36272
    Last edited by possum51; 05-03-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typo

6-14-10
    Pell City, Al.
    4 to 5lb. swarm off new Gardner package hived on 3-28-10," was" the best of 16 packages, 35' up in oak tree...

2 1/2 story on new unwaxed plasticell w/ no excluder.

Adios Amigos

Quote Originally Posted by queenking View Post
    got called to get a swarm out of a tree about 25 feet off the ground and while i was there i found the main hive they came from so im going to get that one tomorrow. the swarm was about 7lbs of bees
    You better wait until you know the new queen is mated and laying. Next spring would be better....

Found approximately 10 queen swarm cells in one hive today. Lately, many of the bees have been gathering outside the box so we knew something was up. Even found one queen cell opened/hatched. The box had so many bees, it did not look like a swarm happened.

We took several queen cells and make 3 nucs from them and left plenty of bees in the hive.

The hive has two large supers which were full of bees.

Will see what happens but I can say "it has begun".

2-26-2011 - date

Lower most Alabama - location 36535
    Last edited by Foleybees; 02-27-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: adding zip code.

Date: 3/18/11.

First swarm. Assuming it's from one of my hives since it was in the bee yard...approximately 15 feet from 3 hives. A couple of boxes have looked quite strong lately and it's no surprise.

Been seeing cells since March 5 Lower Tallapoosa river valley. Saw a swarm yesterday and today-march 17,18. Too high up in the trees to retreive. TK

Question Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Date: 19 Mar 2011

Two more swarms from bee yard today...only have 4 full Hives and one very young split.

As we were getting the second swarm, they all flee back to the hive. Guess they thought it a mean world out there. Placed a hive box with scent next to the box trying to swarm. Someone told me the reason they went back was the queen had not yet left the hive. Funny, we thought she was the first to go!

Date: 21 Mar 11

Had a 2nd swarm from the same box which swarmed on Saturday. They started swarming as I was working on another box. Good timing...

Caught my first swarm of the season today - 3/28/11. About 5 lbs of bees, 2 ft above ground in a privet bush right next to the road Frisco City, AL 36445

36535 - AL

Got a call from city police about a swarm yesterday. Very easy to get but got one caught in my short glove...I got stung and it died. The swarm was my largest since becoming a bee person. Nice!

se oklahoma, one on march the 22. we removed it 2 days later. one march 24, about 45 miles west. it swarmed to a water meter. one today april the 1st. we actually got it off the fencepost before it hived. much easier.

Reminder Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Found a 5th swarm, this afternoon, from my original 3 boxes. So far from 3 hives, I've got 2 splits and 5 swarms and 3 nucs from queen cells. Did a spit about a month ago by placing one of the two supers (from one hive) in the opposite direction (and ensuring it had a queen cell. Should have put the queen in that box...they say.) Anyways, I found the new queen in the split today.

Placed today's swarm on top of a hive that has become weak by placing paper, from foundation inserts, between the hive and new swarm. Now I will watch and see.

I think it's time for the bees to start making honey and not queens!

8 April 2001 - Decatur, Alabama. I arrived just in time to see them leave.

10 April 2001 - Harvest, Alabama. Caught my own swarm. Now I have another colony.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

14 April 2011 - Madison County, Alabama: One of my hives swarmed and I didn't get there in time to catch it. Oh well.

Collected 2 swarms yesterday evening in the North Huntsville area.

Default Re: Post your swarm dates

17 April 2011 - Ardmore, Alabama Collected a large swarm in a small Dogwood tree. Captured one of my own swarms in the Harvest, AL area. Collected a small swarm in the south Madison, AL area.

04/23/11 - Limestone County, Alabama - Big swarm in a small tree. Four feet above the ground. Filled a deep hive body. Had to add another deep hive body yestarday.

4 May 2011-Madison, Alabama Very large swarm on the roof line of a house. I suspect it was a displaced colony from the nearby forest that had lots of downed trees that were hit by the tornadoes.

5 May 2011-HArvest, Alabama Another very large swarm on a small tree in a neighborhood. I suspect it was also a displaced colony from the nearby forest that had lots of downed trees that were hit by the tornadoes.

4 june 2011-One of my colonies swarmed and went into my swarm trap which is the good news. Unfortunately the land owner was mowing with his bush hog and ran over the swarm trap which was on a 18 inch hive stand and obliterated the entire thing. The only thing that survived was the old plastic bottom board. Everything else was ground to pulp.

35805 Huntsville, AL. Swarm call at Madison County Board of Education on a sign in back parking lot. However some idiot sprayed them all with wasp killer. I guess this bonehead thought he was saving his co-workers from the Apocolypse. This is the third swarm call I've received in the last month where someone kills them before I arrrive.

July 31, 2011 - 35758 Collected a colony from a water meter in downtown Madison, Alabama. When I took this colony to one of my bee yards I found a very small swarm on the bushes behind my beeyard. I put them into a hive box also and may use them on a colony that turns out queenless later this summer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast