Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: California

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Told the wife I would be home from work early, she told me that would be fine, cause there's a swarm call from across town. Starting my weekend early is great, but starting it with a swarm is awesome. Good size, needed a 10 frame box, they wouldn't fit a 5 framer.

Craig

Big Grin Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I caught two yesterday. that puts me up to seven swarms caught this season. I couldnt believe it they came to my beeyard. I checked the 10 hives I have there and they are all booming so they didnt come from them. They were big swarms both took a full 10 fram box to fit them all. San Luis Obispo County. theres a few more days of warm weather before it cools off I better get some more hives ready

HUGE swarm Yesterday in a tree here in Galt, almost missed the call cause I was getting ready for work. I climbed the tree in pants and a t-shirt and cut the branch, put it in a box and headed off to work. Got a call today around 12:10 pm for a swarm in Lodi, Ca, 95240, which I will go collect tomorrow AM, thanks to having to go to work again. Then the place in Rio Vista, 94571, called back today, guess the guy that drove 2 hours to get to them, was let down by a shy bees. The bees took flight 3 minutes after he got there, but they have another swarm in a tree, not sure if its the same one or not, but going to get it after the Lodi one tomorrow. I'll have to make another trip to Mann Lake I guess, that should make the wife REAL happy.

Craig

Got the Lodi and Rio Vista one yesterday with no problems, While out, I got a call for a swarm in a Stockton (95201 amoung others), plus a cut out in Stockton and Tracy (95304). I'm sure with the rain, I wont seem any calls today or tomorrow.

Also:
    I've been getting A LOT (more than I have time for) of calls for cutouts near Sacramento, CA. They have been in Rancho Murieta, Columa, El Dorado Hills, Lodi, Stockton (3) and Tracy. If there is anyone out there that is interested in picking a cutout job, send me a PM with your info.

Craig

Craig
    Last edited by Batman; 04-20-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates? 4/23 in So Cal.

Got a swarm this evening 4/23/2010 in Hacienda Heights, California 91745 (southern Calif.) . It is a nice ball a little smaller than a basket ball. I think I have the queen. It's my first swarm capture and I hiveed them immediately into a topbar hive I built last year.

Well, the cut out went good. I was completely out of equipment til I went for more....good thing too, got 2 swarms in Galt, missed a 3rd that flew right over the house, sent the wife after it, but she lost it. Got a call for Stockton at an old Victorian home, but it's like 45 feet up to it. Got a call from Stockton PD, there was a swarm at the Asparagus festival, but I guess they already got someone, too bad too, my contact said "just get em, submit a bill and get paid!" While at home having dinner with the family, got a text from Facebook. A guy I know said his neighbor had a swarm. Back to Stockton I went. Good thing too, 2 feet long by 9 inches wide 3 feet off the ground! While there, I got a call from my dad in Lincoln, one of my swarm traps FINALLY paid off today, cluster off bees on it tonight. Well, back to the garage to build the last 4 hives I bought yesterday and consume some beer.

Craig
    Last edited by Batman; 04-24-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Cut out is going smoothly so far, HUGE colony that's been there for like maybe a week, will pick it up bright and early Friday morning. Would have loved to have heard that thing when it was in the air. Big enough that I needed a 2nd box just to get them all in. I took the 2nd box down this AM and while there got a call for a swarm in the South part of Stockton in the park. Got there and it was about 4 feet off the ground on the trunk of the tree. I literally built box in the street just to get it. Got it home, put 6 frames together just to get something in the box before they built on the lid, then went to work. 10 in 10 days. Anyone wanna buy some bees?

Craig

P.S. My real job is get in the way of my bee jobs.

Well, going for yet another cut out. Swarm landed on Tuesday and decided that the enclosed fence was the perfect place to set up shop. I thought the little old lady that lives where the fence is was paying, so when she asked how much, I went easy on her and said $40. She said, ok, the land lord will cut you a check. Prob could have gotten a wee bit more.
    BTW, what are peoples opinion about the possibility of AHB in San Joaquin county? The bees I took out of the wall in Stockton, Sure were pissy when I took them today. I went to put some TP in the enterance to block them off and within 10 seconds, I must have had 100 bees outside the hive and smacking me something fierce. Never had that bad of a response before.

Craig

The swarm came in on Sat. up in Woodland, made $250 today extracting it from the wall.

Craig

FINALLY! Got a call for a swarm today in Lodi (95240). First swarm on almost 2 weeks...was beginning to think they didn't like me anymore.

Craig

Sorry, a bit late. Swarm caught in Westlake Village, CA on 5/8/2010.

Picked up a swarm here and there in the past couple of months, but have not really reported em, I've been too busy. Got a swarm today in Stockton, easy grab. Have a cut out in Stockton currently in progress. Just got off the phone with Stockton again...Good Lord, I could make a living in Stockton doing this....Bees in a box, been there for a while, yes the box can be picked up and carried off, so going back to Stockton tonight after dark...

C2

This "box" turned out to be like the worlds oldest table saw or something. It has a flip open box, which was closed. when you open it, you see a blade, but no bees. there were still quite a few bees outside the box since it was still 90 outside at 9:30 pm. The bees are going in thru 2 holes, one on each side that looks like its so the saw dust can escape? Well, I figured I would just pick the whole thing up and carry it. It was going to be a heavy mutha! As I got it close to the edge, I felt something landing on my feet. I looked down and its clumps of bees. I stop, look at the bottom and I am looking at a pelthora of bees and comb....shoot, no bottom, had to revise the plan. It was a pain, but finally got it to the truck. Unloading it was just as much of a headache, but I got it out. Next step is to figure out how to get them outta there ASAP since in a related another thread we discussed how many hives you can have in your city....well, my local PD will be telling me soon...a friend of mine with PD told me they gotta call complaining today about bees visiting her pool. Though there's pleanty of water sources BEFORE her pool, I can't say they are or are not my bees since I have not been able to strap the GPS tracking unit on the bees legs yet, but I figure the 3, now 4 hives on the driveway gave her someone to point a finger at. So those ones will be gone out to pasture in the coming week. He also told me that there isn't any laws yet that he's come across that I have violated, but I figure it's only a matter of time before someone slaps them with the nuisance label.s

C2

Notta swarm but got my first extraction call in weeks, so I was excited! Bees in a box, $ in my pocket.

C2

Gotta call for bees on a house in Acampo on Thurday. It's an established hive that I vacuumed up. The comb was 2ft x 2 ft and 10 across in the eves. As I worked on clearing the comb, I saw 4 queen cells. One was chewed open on the bottom, the other 3 were torn open from the side, so they swarmed recently. Once I had the bees that were on the exposed comb dealt with, you could see the bees were in the wall too. The owner said he'd deal with that. So I took my vacuum home and weighed it, it was 5 lbs heavier than when I left. I put the bees in a hive and got a frame of open brood into the hive quickly so I could keep them in the hive and also give them the resources to create a new queen just in case she was already inside the wall.
    I got another call for a house that claims to have 3 colonies in the walls. I'll have to check that later this week, plus advise them of the cost. Funny that she called me and told me that I can have them for free.
    Last I got a call yesterday for bees in Stockton (again) and this time it turned out to be an easy grab. Bees in a upside down 5 gallon bucket! That, plus she paid me $100 to take em, gotta love it!

C2

Cool Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Swarm call in North Stockton at 9:30 at night. I was already heading that direction to go visit a friend. Since I had my truck and not my motorcycle, I had all my bee stuff except for a hive. At first I thought I would just put them in a cardboard box, but realized I also had my 5 gallon bee vac with me. Two pound swarm cleaned up in about 10 mins off of a retaining wall. When I got to my buddies house, I pulled up a map. That revealed that I was less than a 1/4 mile away from where his inlaws live. His inlaws have a hive in a brick pillar in front of their house. I wonder if they swarmed from there?

C2

Swarm call, Northside of Stockton on a lawn. It was small, prob gonna need a lot of help just to get them up to par enough for a nuc winter. Found the parent colony in a nearby PG&E insert that's in the gound. Will have to contact them about that before I go grabbing some high voltage lines.

C2

We collected two swarms this year 2010, May 20 and 21. It was a sunny day and warm.

Friday, March 4th, 2011. Swarm in Hacienda Heights, California 91745. I noticed the bees flying in circles about 11:00 and the ball is still forming a cluster at 11:45. It is a bright sunny day and around 75 degrees outside. The cluster is in an orange tree and is about 4 feet off the ground but buried in many small branches. I will try and hive the swarm.

Thursday 3/3/11, San Carlos, California 94070. Good sized swarm in a tree fern.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast