Thread: Florida

Default Florida

First swarm of the season 1/8/2007
    weather in the 70's
    Mostly black queen from the wild blue yonder (into a Gumbo Limbo tree)

3/2/08 split this hive about 2 weeks ago but it swarmed anyway. Watched it take off while working in the garden. 30 feet in a pine tree.size of 2 soft balls. 27 miles north of Tallahassee Fl. 32333.

Default Florida

Saturday, August 27th, 2011 - surprised at losing a swarm from my bee yard this late in the season. I guess they know when it's time to leave.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

10/02/2011 Pinellas County, Florida, USA - cantaloupe-sized swarm up in pine tree

10/09/2011 Port Orange Florida, 32128 zip
    Just got a call about a football sized swarm that settled underneath a picnic table. Looks like a real easy scoop.

And the race is on, Got the first swarm of the season Thursday close to the bay. The girls don’t know what to do with this weather. Looked at hive yesterday that has been in the carport for three years, it had over a hundred drones trying to get in.

Caught my first swarm of the year today. Jacksonville, Fl 32210

Hi all
    My hive swarmed last Saturday 5/12 in Pensacola fl. Very upsetting but don't think as many left as is usual. Then we cut out about 11 swarm cells. The next day we heard piping! Very interesting experience.

Had another swarm in Florida yesterday May 27th. Mine should be quit swarming by now.

psisk

Default Florida

Molino, Fl 32577. Small swarm between a softball and soccer ball at 2:30 pm today. Shook into nuc box. Origin unknown.

Caught a 5# swarm that had taken up residence in neighbor's bird feeder 7/9/2015.

Wanted to make sure that they were going to hang around before I posted. They're bringing in pollen, so it looks like they're here to stay. I plan to move them from the 5 frame nuc to a 10-frame deep this week.

Indialantic, FL 32903
    8/5/15
    5-frame nuc swarm trap baited with honey-b-healthy and one frame of old black comb.

Last week I got 3 swarms to my backyard. The first went to a 10 frame medium bait box that I've had set up since January. It got no spring swarm and I just left it. At some point I must have taken out some 5 or 6 frames to use somewhere else because when I went to peek into the new swarm they were all under the lid and building there. Need to begin a fix on that today. Swarm 2 came the next day and went into a wax cardboard nuk that was standing on end and has 3 frames in it, the lid not pushed down tight and using that for entrance. It's in my storage shed that I leave the door open for light and ventilation. I carefully set it flat the next day and they seem to be fine. After a peek of course, it's a smaller colony but not tiny. I need to fix that one too.

The 3rd is quite small so I suspect definitely an after swarm. That one came on Saturday morning and we got to watch it move in. I looked out my patio window and saw the backyard air full of bees. My grandkids were over so they got to see too. They were moving into a stack of medium honey supers I had out on a wire shelf--that fortunately I had placed a queen excluder under them for just this reason, in case of swarm. The supers are out there for bee cleaning from hives I had switched out empty drawn frames with empty frames. So I had to think fast. I took a 10 frame and put in a few frames of empty comb and the rest empty frames, a q tip with lemon grass oil, set it directly under the stack and put the lid on with about 2" open. I didn't hold my breath that this would entice them to move down, but low and behold, within a couple hours they did! Next morning I checked the honey supers, no bees. They are using the entrance to the deep so I know they are in there. Whew!

Another swarm last week went to a bait box I have at a friend's who told me on Friday that there has been traffic for about 5 days. I'm assuming a swarm moved in.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Swarm to a hive I use for storage of frames at one of my yards. I had a sheet over the front and 3/4 of the hive, no bait smell or comb and they still moved in. It had 8 empty foundationless frames and they were also starting to build off the lid. I caught it in time. Another bait hive at a friend's discovered on the same day. Brings my total to 9 for September. A swarm moved into the box from last week where u wanted the collected swarm to go. Maybe the one that left decided to come back. It was 3 days later.

Default Florida

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Florida

2/9/16
    Boynton Beach, FL 33472 Palm Beach County

Went to bait a swarm trap before dark. It has been cool out do I didn't think much about taking it down and opening it without knocking on it first. Oops! There was a small swarm inside. There was only a small piece of comb so they couldnt have been in there long. Spotted the queen so I closed it up and took them home.