Default 7/12/2007

Prague, OK 74864
    Picked up about 6:30 P.M. 7/12/2007
    Upper 70s Low 80s
    Unknow Orgin

Default swarm

July 9th, and 12th..
    Woodinville Washington

2ore swarms in last 2 days . One came to my honey house and another on a fence post . Both good size swarms . 7/14/07 mid 80s today . West central illinois .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

picked up a swarm 7/14/07 a little smaller than a soccerball from the front edge of a 5th wheel camper at wellington lake at wellington kansas 8:30 in the evening swarm was noticed at 5:00 pm temp 89 degrees and humid camper parked about 100 yards from the lake in a row of trees dont know why they chose the camper
    Last edited by riverrat; 07-15-2007 at 08:03 AM.

95684- multiple swarms. weather dosen't change here in summer. either hot and dry or hotter and drier
    all that is gold does not glitter

soccer ball swarm
    7-27-07
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    82 degrees, sunny

near Plattsburgh, NY in the Champlain Valley

Default swarm

Friend called us with a swarm on Sunday, July 22. Near Plattsburgh, NY, northeastern corner of NY. It has alternated cold and wet with hot and steamy.

95667- decent size.
    all that is gold does not glitter

14885. First one this year, pics in the photo gallery.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Dayton, Tennessee, up on Walden's Ridge, first swarm was the last day of April, 07. Huge swarm, on low limb, captured easily and built up quickly, though, comb a bit odd. Italians mostly, I think...
    RBar

Default Aug. 19

A swarm showed up today and occupied a battered five-frame nuc I'd been using as a stool to watch my bees. They aren't from one of my colonies, so I guess there are some others around! (14850 zip code, Upstate New York) I'll post pictures in the photo gallery.
    My beekeeping blog: The Bee Yard

A lady near Freeville,NY called and had a swarm on her pine tree yesterday morning (8/27/07) and before I could get out the door to leave another closer to McGraw, NY called to pick up a swarm. I used them to boost a couple of hives that could use the help as the golden rod gets into gear. More swarms lately than when they typically swarm (mid May) I am wondering if the snow (10 inches) in the middle of april set them back a bit ? ....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

A farm worker found a swarm going into a hole in the base of a large oak tree. I don't know where they came from, possibly off one of my 7 hives. 08/30/2007

3 sept 07 Hartford ,NY Swarm

Got a call from the sheriffs dept that a guy had a swarm of bees in his tree and felt they might threaten someones life ? Being a wise guy I replied "and you would like me to take them in custody" ? When I got there they were hanging about 12 feet off the ground so I backed my truck under them hooked up the extrension cord to the beevac and took them home 20 minutes later. I added them to a neighbors hive who was also a late swarm and could use the help. I have been hearing of a lot of swarms this later. I suspect now that they have completed the brood nest turn over and are just adjusting the populations to the living spaces available...just my thoughts....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

03-02-07 Zip 75672
    Several big prime swarms that week from my hives that week. Caught me off gard!

I have a small (1 - 1.5 lbs) swarm hanging 14 feet up a tree in my beeyard right now. I put out a swarm trap with lemon grass oil. If they move in, I'll combine with a nucleus I've been nursing along this summer. This has been a strange year.

9/12/2007 30161 Rome, GA
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

7 swarms since the 1st of Sept. Most were small 2-3 pounds, and most had virgin queens. Proably out of my mating nucs.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

**Moved to new thread**
    Last edited by Jim Williamson; 09-18-2007 at 07:34 AM.
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

Default Macaroni Grill

Basball size swarm in parking lot, six feet up, and a easy bee vac. The manager insisted on a "couple of" dinners I dont know what was worth more???

Default This was a surprise

I got a call yesterday for a swarm. I expected it would be in a wall or roof, but in fact it was in a tree in the front yard. It was almost the size of a football. I shook it into a nuc and he was happy to give me a contribution of $100.

I know this is in San Diego, but it's pretty late. What chances do I have of it making it through the winter?

Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast