Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

Default New York

Nice big swarm on a low branch. Came from a bee tree in a guys yard. Chittenango NY 13037 78 degrees sunny

Second swarm for me. About 2 lbs. 5-30-07 Chittenango NY 13037 Still no takers for the swarm traps I have out. Both swarms were clustered on limbs.

May 16, 14850
    I got a call from someone who was referred by Cornell Entomology. The swarm was in a residential neighborhood, too far up a spruce tree for me to catch. They were gone by the next day.
    My beekeeping blog: The Bee Yard

4 bait hives caught swarms this week. Also had a swarm come to another but left. The plywood top had warped and I think to much light was let in. First time that has happened to me.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Round Top, NY 12473
    Today
    Swarm moved into an empty pile of hive bodies.

near Plattsburgh, NY in the Champlain Valley

Default swarm

Friend called us with a swarm on Sunday, July 22. Near Plattsburgh, NY, northeastern corner of NY. It has alternated cold and wet with hot and steamy.

14885. First one this year, pics in the photo gallery.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default Aug. 19

A swarm showed up today and occupied a battered five-frame nuc I'd been using as a stool to watch my bees. They aren't from one of my colonies, so I guess there are some others around! (14850 zip code, Upstate New York) I'll post pictures in the photo gallery.
    My beekeeping blog: The Bee Yard

A lady near Freeville,NY called and had a swarm on her pine tree yesterday morning (8/27/07) and before I could get out the door to leave another closer to McGraw, NY called to pick up a swarm. I used them to boost a couple of hives that could use the help as the golden rod gets into gear. More swarms lately than when they typically swarm (mid May) I am wondering if the snow (10 inches) in the middle of april set them back a bit ? ....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

3 sept 07 Hartford ,NY Swarm

Got a call from the sheriffs dept that a guy had a swarm of bees in his tree and felt they might threaten someones life ? Being a wise guy I replied "and you would like me to take them in custody" ? When I got there they were hanging about 12 feet off the ground so I backed my truck under them hooked up the extrension cord to the beevac and took them home 20 minutes later. I added them to a neighbors hive who was also a late swarm and could use the help. I have been hearing of a lot of swarms this later. I suspect now that they have completed the brood nest turn over and are just adjusting the populations to the living spaces available...just my thoughts....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

7 swarms since the 1st of Sept. Most were small 2-3 pounds, and most had virgin queens. Proably out of my mating nucs.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

First swarm reports that I heard of among my friends here in SC was about 2 weeks ago. I've collected about 7 swarms this last week and waved at a couple more. They were too high to do anything else.
    "Beekeeping. It's a journey, not a destination." Mark Berninghausen

Collected a swarm yesterday at the Pepsi plant in Conway, SC. It was hanging on a low branch of a Magnolia tree, shoulder highth. I had quite an audience of about ten or more plant workers. They got a real kick out of seeing me pick up a handful of bees that had grouped together a ways away from the nuc box that I used.

While I waited for the bees to get into the box, one worker said that his girlfriend had just called him to report that she had driven through a swarm in flight. I didn't go after that one.

I like the ones I don't have to reach too high for.
    "Beekeeping. It's a journey, not a destination." Mark Berninghausen

Swarmed today 05/04 in southern NY State 15 north of NYC. Zip code 10976.

May 17, 2008. High swarm from a colony that I split 3 weeks ago.

May 24, 2008, hive that swarmed 7 days ago threw another one.

05/25/08 First Swarm in Cortland, NY 13045 . After a week of cold and rainy weather today was in the upper 70`s and clear skys. I expect swarm season to get more intense

First swarm this year. Clustered below a swarm trap. 5-26-08 Chittenango NY 13037

Huge swarm came flying in about 4:00 PM and settled into an empty hive about a 100 feet out in front of the small yard I have. I don't know where they came from but it wasn't my hives. May be ferel but I suspect they may have come from a small yard about a mile south of me. This is the first swarm I've seen or heard of in this area which is in the northern part of Oneida county, NY.

Default My first swarm... and now third hive!

I'm a first year beek and just got a call from a friend of mine who works at our High School. They had a swarm land in one of their gardens.

So, with a medium, a couple pieces of plywood, my jacket, and some straps I headed over. It was very easy since it was hanging just above the ground. I was able to round up the majority of the bees (went back a second time to pick up a few hundred more). I took them home and setup a makeshift hive. Tomorrow I'll have more time to figure it all out and setup my third hive.

What a great hobby!
    Keith

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast