Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania

Default Pennsylvania

May 15, 2007
    zip 16226
    sunny day in low 80's
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I removed a swarm from a soffet in the mount airy section of Philadephia on 5/20/07. They had drawn out about 6 frames of wax and had newly capped brood. I'm assuming they were there for about 10 or 12 days.

I just caught another massive swarm today, 5/22/07. The owner said it was on the side of his machine shop. By the time I got there it was in the wall, and boy was there alot of them. Sucked the girls out with my Bee Vac. I had another call today, but by the time the first swarm was secured, the second swarm was gone.

Well my massive swarm from yesterday decided to go into my neighbors cedar tree. They were about 40 feet up, so I climbed up there and cut down the branch only to have them cluster higher. Looks like this one is going to be a feral hive. I even placed a frame of open brood in the deep after I hived them and they still took off.

I went and got another swarm today, 5/23/07. I am gonna keep this swarm enclosed in a well ventilated nuc for a few days.

Collected a swarm today May 24, in a bush eye level (The PERFECT SWARM), nice size and they liked the box I gave them. Moved them this evening. 17543
    Jim

I picked up a swarm in Emmaus, PA 18049 on 5/22/07.

I picked up another swarm in Bethlehem, PA 18015 on 5/26/07.

May 29, 2007 around 2pm about 2-3 miles away from my house
    Gillett, PA 16925
    temps today were in the high 70's

Today I was driving down the road when all of a sudden my windshield was pelleted with something. I'm like WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT! Within seconds I realize that it was a swarm of honeybees!!! I was able to see where they were going but wasnt sure if they would be there later or not (I couldnt go after them right then). Hours later I went and found them right where I last spotted them. I talked to the lady of the closest house and she said that they actually swarmed yesterday just yards away from the original hive in her house. So I guess 1st (known) area swarm was on 5/28/07. I cut the branches and shook them off in a nuc which had drawn out comb. I took my daughter to take pics but she's not too fond of bees - when she was younger she was attacked by yellow jackets.

I went back around 8:30pm to bring them home but must be the 5 frame deep nuc is too small for them all!! They are still hanging all over the front and sides. They must feel "at home" because they are acting aggressive now - got me in the knee. Tomorrow I'll have to take bigger box along with my suit - bad thing is that I have to climb an embankment to get them out.

This is my very first swarm that i've seen airborne!! I have a pic of me when I was around 8 or 9 yrs old standing next to a swarm that had landed on a tree limb. And now 27-28 yrs later I have another pic of me beside a swarm.

I guess I'll double post this in the photogallery with pics
    Last edited by Dee; 05-29-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Default 5 swarms and counting!!!

I caught another very large swarm which was about 5 to 6 pounds in Warminster, PA 18974 on 5/29/07.

Default Swarms

I got two swarms on 6-6 and a good size swarm yesterday. I heard the queen pipng in the hive the night before so I was watching out for the swarm issuance!

My hive swarmed in June, 2007. Twice. 16423.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Default Pennsylvania

It's on!!!!! One of my hives swarmed today and landed on a fence about 20' from the hive. 19320 Pretty nice size. Found the queen, put her in the nuc. . . They wouldn't all go in a 5 frame nuc, but did once I put a second on top. WOO HOO!!!

Sorry I didn't give times / teps. About 1:30 and it's 70 degrees today.
    Last edited by delber; 04-14-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more info

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

WestGrove, Pa yesterday a swarm landed and they called me this morning. By the time I got there most of them were gone. I left a box there just in case. The LGO and queen juice seemed to greatly attract the straggler "scouts" that were still hanging around. That was very cool to see. Bummer that we were less than an hour late because I called the home owner and she said that they were still there so I went.

First swarm call of the year! Worthville, PA 15784.

Lady called me and asked if I did "cutouts" of honeybees. "Well," I said, "I do pick up swarms, but haven't done a cutout. Do you have bees in a building, or bees in a tree?" She said "They are on a pine tree branch. They have been there since yesterday."

I got her information, left work early, got home and grabbed my equipment and went there. Sure enough, a swarm was on several pine tree branches in one clump about 2 feet off the ground. Just enough clearance to get a hive underneath it and I shook the branch. Instantly bees started to take flight. (I've always seen the videos where the whole clump falls into the box and stays there.) I pulled the hive from underneath the branch, put in the frames that I took out, put the inner cover on and the lid.

There were all kinds of bees flying around, but were fanning at the entrance, but wasn't sure if that was because I got the queen or because I was using a swarm trap hive that had lemongrass oil on it. Slowly the cloud of bees flying around got smaller and smaller and I noticed the bees on the entrance were fanning. By the time I left, the "cloud" of bees were all in the hive with only a few bees still flying around - soI did get the queen.

I left it there and will pick it up tonight, after all the stranglers and scouts have found their new home!

Swarm in Summerville, PA 15864 today at the neighbors. They called my home phone and left a message. After they called the county extension office and was told a swarm usually only sticks around for a few hours, they called another beekeeper who came and got them. It was a warm day - high 70's and drizzled this afternoon.

I don't think they were mine. Out of my two hives, I split one and the other one I added a hive body to. All hives seemed to have the normal amount of bees coming and going this evening.

I do know a feral swarm flew over our place and was heading in the direction of this neighbor's place 2 years ago, so i'm assuming it was another feral swarm.

I had a swarm trap out, but they must not have been interested in it.

Swarm in Summerville, PA 15864

Came home after being gone all day, and as I'm getting out of the car, I notice a swarm in a cherry tree about 30' from my beehives, about 7' high. Probably a 2 1/2 - 3 # swarm.

I cut the branch with the swarm on it, and laid it in front of a hive which was on top of a sheet. They immediately spread out and started heading to and into the hive. I kept watching for the queen, and sure enough I spotted her. Nice bright orange color.

But I don't think this swarm was from any of my hives.

5/6 caught, donated to the local bee club. Not quite sure if it was mine. They landed on the back of a nuc box I hived a swarm in earlier in the week. Saw them in the air while cutting the grass and watched them cluster there.

found one in levittown pa by the first fedral bank in levittown knee high in a pine bush sad thing is no way for me to get it and really neet to stand in the middle of it

Swarm today 11:00 am. Very small, I believe this was an afterswarm from the hive that swarmed last Sunday. Caught it but lost it. Didn't think they would have chewed there way out of a shoe box so quickly. I didn't have a spare hive till I moved a swarm I caught and put in a nuc earlier. Hived the nuc today then went to hive the swarm and what do I find about a dozen holes chewed through the box and no bees. That was only about a three hour time frame they were there. Couldn't relocate them oh well. Iguess its a good thing I didn't put them in the garage to keep cool like I was going to. That would have been interesting.

caught the swarm in levittown pa about a small football size weather sunny warm and windy

One of my very robust hives swarmed last Sunday, 5/6/2012.
    I am in NW PA, and it was probably in the low to mid-60s.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast