Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut

Default Connecticut

Good ole' New Milford, CT. today (5-17). Came home to find they had taken up house in a music amp I was ready to throw out, Oh the joy!!!!
    Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes.

Large swarm from hive. 5-29 06751

Default sure enough

my bees swarmed today: June 22 Willington Ct. Weather was mid 70's sunny with passing showers.

Default Unfortunately my bees

2nd year hive swarmed on 5/21. Westport, ct 06880

Default just missed

Away in boston for the weekend only to come back to my neighbor telling me there was a tornado of bees in his back yard. He said they headed to the woods. I looked with no luck. So much for my 5 swarm traps. O well at least the sox won. 95 degrees and humid here.

Default woops they did it again.

Well we sent the nieghbors running again. 6/14 This time I was able to catch them

First swarm 05-08-2009 13:00 Carnolians - from year old hive
    Second swarm 05-09-2009 14:00 Carnolians - from year old hive

Weather mid 50's night before w/light rain
    mid 70's day partly cloudy, high humidity.

Came home from work today and found 2 swarms 15' up above my hives in the mulberry tree. Both about softball size, I cut them down and hived them in my extra equipment. What a rush, my first swarms.
    06825 Fairfield Connecticut. time unknown 5-11-09
    Last edited by GRIMBEE; 05-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.

After swarm, 12:00pm noon 5/13/09, Fairfield Ct, 06825
    Came home to another swarm in the same spot as the others in the mullberry tree. All I had to put them in is a cardboard nuc box with 5 frames. 1 plasticell frame and 4 with starter strips. Its all I had. Now I have Zero Equipment for anymore swarms. And I have an extra cardboard nuc full of bees. My swarm splits I did about a month ago are all doing well and Queens laying.

5-22-09 11:00am
    Sat in the back at the right time because I got to see them pour out of the hive, circle the treetops for 10 minutes and settle about 50 feet up in the neighbors tree next door. Apparently they stayed there for a while then went back into the hive.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

6-28-2009
    12:00 NOON I just watched 1 of my hives swarm. Their 20 feet up in my next door neighbors tree. I don't think I can reach em. any one want northern survivor stock?

8/20/09
    10:00am watched them swarm into a tree 30 feet up behind my house.basketball size swarm, huge

Southeastern Connecticut. 5/28 Had my first swarm leave, a week later a second swarm from the same hive.

Second year beek - first swarm event May 1, 2010. I was at work and my wife noticed there was something strange happening with one of our three hives. She called to tell me that the bees were clustering on the front face of the hive and flying around the apiary in an unusual manner. She went to grab her camera to snap a digital to e-mail to me, and by the time she returned, the cluster of bees had disappeared. She was shocked, but related that she could hear them. She traced the sound of their buzzing to the a nearby pine tree. She could notice them clustering on a pine branch near the top of the tree.

When I returned home from work at 4:30 PM, I was able to climb the tree and reclaim my first swarm. I shook them into a five gallon bucket that I had tied to the end of an 8 foot pole. Then the fun task of descending the tree with the buzzing bees, and manipulating the heavy pole/bucket combination through the dense pine branches began. I accomplished this task without any protection and only received one sting. My 13 year old son was at the base of the tree and assisted with landing the heavy bucket in an upright position. My son remarked at how heavy and hot the bucket of bees was.

We poured the bees into a nuc box I threw to together to buy me some time to get another hive put together. All the bees stayed in the Nuc, so it looks as if our first recapture event was a success.

May 4. Second swarm from another hive. First swarm was May 1.
    Both swarms assembled on the same pine tree, and both were captured.

Danbury, CT.

May 5th. Third swarm from the third hive.
    That is three from swarms from all three of my hives. I was able to recapture all three swarms and create two additional hives from the collection.

Danbury, CT.

I'm in the middle of Connecticut and found a swarm in my yard today... most likely from my own hive. It was overcast and in the sixties today. They where up on a branch on our semi-dwarf apple tree about six feet up.

Untitled by bigevilgrape, on Flickr
    Last edited by bigevilgrape; 05-14-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Caught a small swarm from one of my hives on 4/20/2012 in a White Birch tree about 20 feet high around 5:00pm.

Hived a swarm from my apiary around 4:00 PM 4/30/2012. I was working in the garden and heard a lot of buzzing and just thought it was the bee taking orientation flights. Took a walk to check on them and found a swarm on a bush touching the ground. Easy capture.

Centrel CT.5/14/12 nice and sunny tep.65 or so small swarm landed in cement blockPictdaveure stumps pither 046.jpgPictdaveure stumps pither 050.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast